"Start Rule" action not really execute subroutine in parallel?

In
OVERWATCH PTR PATCH NOTES – FEB 4, 2020

I found:

When I saw this :

the subroutine rule executes on its own some time later (either on the same frame if below the original rule or on the next frame if above).

I was confusing, because this behavior not looks like subroutine rule been “parallel” started.

So I did a test , code :G9R4N
Let’s say we have 4 rules named A/B/C/D (same for the Rule sequence )
Rule A have an Action “Start Rule” to start Rule C
If it is started in parallel, I expect the execution sequence in Inspector is : A C B D
But it’s actually A B C D

And also I found the contextual “values” is not really “copied over to the subroutine rule”, You can change event player variable in Rule B, And it will effected Rule C.

So, Is “Start Rule” action not really in parallel? Or I just misunderstand? Thanks for any reply.

If I understand the patch notes correctly, then start rule will execute a subroutine rule the next time that rule is encountered in the list (assuming the game goes through the list of rules from top to bottom ~62.5 times per second).

And I believe inheriting the contextual values means, that - for example - if rule A is a player dealt damage rule that includes the action start rule (subroutine C), then attacker, victim, and event player, in subroutine C will refer to the same player(s) as in rule A.

1 Like