Stage 2 = Goats. When a balance team tries to nerf a meta

Brigitte is already gutted though. She’s useless outside of GO.A.T.S.

1 Like

considering winston goats was basically played literally whenever rein goats wasn’t, it was bound to gain relevance whether or not winston got buffed or not

if goats died entirely, the meta would go back to winston/d.va every game anyways

to say that dive goats wasn’t a fairly strong composition before this patch is absurd. the patch just solidified its place in the meta

2 Likes

With wrecking ball buffs, I fully expect to see more DOATS.

Brig is easy though. Because she can be completely reworked to be something else.

For instance, remove her AOE healing, and buff her burst heal in a way that’s strong but infrequent.

Step 1: Buff DPS so that they kill faster

Step 2: Realize DPS kill other DPS too fast for DPS to be played and tanks are the only class which can withstand the onslaught

Step 3: Act surprised that 3-3 is still meta

My take on this whole situation is that we’re experiencing the consequences of power creep. They’ve done nothing but buff buff buff when heroes are weak. Now there’s more damage and spam than ever, so high health pools are invaluable. What needs to happen is nerfs and reworks across the board. Every class needs nerfs and reworks. One shots need to be reexamined, CC needs to be looked at, healing output needs to be tweaked, etc etc.

These are all issues which push high health pools and sustain into the meta. This is something that would have happened with or without Brig. She just thrust the issues out into the spotlight a few seasons early.

15 Likes

Funny enough when blizzard first asked for ptr brigitte feedback I said the aoe passive healing would be a trap as it gives passive invisible healing that’s not satisfying, but none the less gives high throughput. This gives her high invisible power, think about it, a Lucio that has healing aura up all game is almost doing his job. Brigitte does this and more.

Somebody seen that your overwatch video🤦🏽‍♀️

1 Like

I have never gotten the impression that the devs tried to kill Goats. In fact, when asked about the lack of hero diversity Jeff Kaplan said, “play Mystery Heroes”. Does that sound like a guy that is super concerned about changing the meta?

2 Likes

Well also, on stats with Lucio. Lucio only has healing turned on for about 30% of the game.

Take out the Brig AOE heal, and all the sudden the Lucio+Brig combo doesn’t work well.

Brig is basically the primary healer in goats. If you see the OWL stats, on a lot of the maps most of the healing came from Brigs.

I dont care and neither should you. OWL is simply a complete different thing from the main game. They cant nerf GOATS heroes even more without braking these heroes for the rest of the community.

Balancing has its limits. The solution needs to be something else.

Some suggestions

1. Pro play exclusive balance patches.
    Would allow the devs to go wild. They could remove incline from Brig and cmpletely gut her.

2. Introduce hero bans
    Let the pros get rid of the issue themselves.

3. Force 2-2-2 everywhere

1 Like

That’s why they tell all olympic runners to only start from a standing position, and the swimmers to never shave their body hair. How dare them be efficient!

I understand the boring part of only seeing mirror matches in OWL, but they are not playing for entertainment. They are playing for money that come attached to winning. The entertainment is because we, as an audience, see them as so. If you want pure entertainment, that’s what streamers do.

I still have that inner feeling that if they simply doubled every base HP value in the game, it would be in a healthier state. Maybe with some small adjustments here and there (eg, maybe Rein only need 300 HP + 500 Armor instead of 600 HP + 400 armor), but effectively, removing one-shots from the game.

Keep everything else the same. Damage at the same numbers, barriers at the same number, healing at the same number (so that a low HP tank will take a long time to get healed on downtime, maybe even requiring some cooldowns to get up in time for the next fight)… except ult charge. Also double everyone’s requirements for ult in the same patch, so you are still getting ults “roughly every other fight”.

(And yeah, I know, Total Mayhem exists, but I don’t want instant cooldown resets, and neither ults charging every 10 seconds)

This is actually the easiest and most straight forward solution for the pro scene… Seeing how it goes in stuff like LoL, it actually builds viewer interest too when you have players who are the best at something being given or denied their top hero.

2 Likes

I used the same argument over and over about how Symmetra’s Shield Generator was stupidly OP because of those invisible benefit (fast-charging, permanent until destroyed, huge area of effect, +40% HP on average for the whole team), and many players, including some Symmetra mains, always told me that it was a useless ult.

Too many people can’t understand how that invisible nuance on the game works, and think everyone is a spherical object on vacuum: Hanzo always deal 900+ damage per Storm Arrow, D.va always have DM available to counter everything, Moira can always throw her damage orb to inflict maximum damage output, etc, etc.

2 Likes

I mean… I want 2-2-2 to be a thing because it makes balance easier for characters like… Brig. However… Your statement seems off. Getting rid of these terrible METAS? You know Dive was a 2-2-2, right?

4 Likes

I would have zero problem with a hero ban/protect phase if it was exclusive to the pro tournaments. That would be really interesting on a ban-protect-protect-ban order, especially if you give enough time for the casters to add drama unto the selection.

My main problem is that when they put that into OWL/Contenders, people will start asking for their comp games to have a protect/ban phase as well, and we don’t have enough hero versatility to play decent games when people start banning heroes “for the lulz”.

5 Likes

Yes, however, 2-2-2 should still cut down the METAS by a lot since the number of ways to actually make unique combinations stop by a lot. It should help still in some regard I feel.

How is it buffed? The boop buffs? That makes everything different. Not just the GOATS heroes.

No it’s not. It’s theorized because high level/pro players are too scared to try anything else than what they know is strong.

All of what you say is theorized and hasn’t actually happened.

wrong

its confirmed beyond doubt in theory and practice