Stacking is more awesome than ever ...and matchmaking

I am curious did anyone noticed the stacking of diamond with silver being placed in gold matches?

I noticed that I get (me gold3) plat 1-2 and diamond in my matches and started to ask people nicely if they are staking, for my surprise all that answered me said yes. So now you can stack with even lower tier ranks than in ow1 because each role is treated diffrently.

On my second question stacking as a high rank supp will not always give you another high rank supp on the other team, rather u will get a tank or a dps… doesn that make the game tilt the game in the favor of the tank or dps?

yes, it’s the MMR bug that was put in with role que. It’s been addressed in the dev blog a few days ago and is supposed to be patched next week with season 3. MMR is currently by account so the 2 teams had lop sided seeds. The patch will make MMR by role so a diamond MMR support is actually diamond for both teams.

How oh so they were blind on the roles because MMR is for the account not the role. The matchmaker in their way of saying doesnt really know if you have a specific main, or a role that is low rank… that could also mean that you would have a more accurate matchmaking /mmr rating if you play only one class of heroes per account.

I would like to see how this ends up in the next season, this implies they had no programming done on ranking stats in relation to mmr, they are paralel systems without being connected in any way, so now they would have to look at your role lock and mmr before adjusting the match and translate that into some sort of hierarchy of priorities, first finding same role same mmr range then placing you into match lobby.

This will suck bad for open and capture the flag comp, if my assumption is right those comp modes will still suffer from high mmr discrepancy from stacking .

1 Like

What I think happened in my humble 30+ years as a developer opinion, taken with a grain of salt, is that when they added role que they never updated the match maker code. As far as the one hero ( aka “One Trick ( Ponies )”) players, they were the reason that skill specific metrics got thrown out. How would you rate Doomfist in the tier of tanks? Zbra was not only the #1 & #2 tank but did so on Doomfist. Instead of removing outliers from the dataset they just dumped the dataset.

1 Like

They are not duoing for sure, it is just smurfing silver gets to diamond lobbies because he is performing well, and the diamond is preforming bad. You can only duo with diamond5 being gold5 minimum, then yes, it will put you somwhere in plat/gold.

If you have only one role on diamond and the rest are on plat/gold you can stack with silver, same goes for bronze-plat. Basically if you can take your silver/bronze friends stack in a match and the matchmaker will find another stack similar with yours and add it to the pile. This is not assuming, is what responses I got from players in the match,that were stacking.

So you will end up for example: i had one diamond mercy supp and she was stacking with gold 5 and silver 1 players, while the other team had a diamond genji with silver and gold stack. And the rest of us playing solo we are the filler around that stack, basically to equalise in numbers the average mmr… It was lost offc… but this my expirience untill now.

And here is the other thing i think kinda suss, in ow1 if you had like a diamond in your game and you were gold, from somewhat miracle, and you gave your best and you won it was not only a great personal achievment but also the game rewarded you with a higher boost in mmr, this was scrapped in ow2, so basically if you are trumped you have absolutely no incentive to try to give your best because at the end of the game if you win against even players or way better players you will be rewarded equally.

And also in the last few days i get stacks 4 out of 5 games, basically i’m gold all around the roles but i rarely see a full gold, or at least 2 gold roles in my match, tbh diamonds are rare (pun intended) but plat, silver and sometimes bronze are in every single match. In ow1 I remember seeing such high plat frequency when I was reaching the equivalet of gold 1(now) , and i think all this is because of the increased range of rank discrepancy that is allowed for stacking.

Oh so the mmr basically was made for the first iteration of the comp. I started playing ow 2-3 yrs ago so I didnt had the chance to have that exp of the game, althou Paladins did it in the same way and still does, no role lock, and a single rank for the account and not for the role, is still a huge mess of a game but 5v5 and the hard reset made the comp there a bit more not so toxic and exploitable than ow.

Another interesting thing is that, now, I can see how they think it’s 50-50 chance, even in the majority of games when you get rolled or trump the other team the discrepancy in the damage and heals and all other numbers (they say are not important, but made a WHOLE UI for them) is almost non existent… so they adjusted the design of the game to a place where the numbers give good reports even if the game is even more a challenge to not get angry at it.

Yeah, the original game was what they now call open que. I played paladins and have the origin badge for it and smite ( special player icon and all gods for life of game free. ) Paladins matches could skew but the SR gain is done different. In Paladins I placed bronze getting stuck with all of the games having leavers in my detriment. Within 20 games I was back at diamond and hovered there another 50ish games. They want skill to matter more and if you’re stomping you will rise fast. OW doesn’t do that unless it’s a new account.

Your concern was addressed here some days ago.

TLDR: matchmaker is currently taken account overall team rating instead of role rating, like you notice. They are supposed to change it.

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23910161/overwatch-2-developer-blog-explaining-matchmaker-goals-and-plans-part-2/

So how the matchmaking is supposed to work is to get two teams with around the same average mmr. So if a diamond is with a silver they’ll likely end up in plat or gold lobbies. That’s perfectly fine.

the problem arises at the fact that you might have diamong supp while the other team has diamond dps, and the game will be favored by the diamond dps’s team… matchmaker now does not consider role mmr, they say it will change it for the upcoming season to have a more role mmr approach(not changing it completely but favor more twords equally skilled roles).

1 Like

True.
20 characters or smth

That sounds a lot like one of my takes :slight_smile:

1 Like