SR, MMR, and Role Queue

Yes, MMR does represent more or less where the game thinks you belong based on wins/losses/performance and so on. For the bajillionth time, it’s not your rank. Your rank is your current rating, the SR.

And that very MMR is where you currently are, not projected to be after later games.

if you tie against a worse team, your MMR is reduced (most likely)but your SR stays the same. SR means nothing.

If you leave a game, and your team goes onto win, you will still gain MMR (most likely) but you will loose SR. SR means nothing.

if they revealed the MMR formula, we’d be able to show you exactly how it works

No. SR is where you are currently. MMR is an estimation. It’s not a guaranteed, that you’ll reach it, as it may drop before you get there based on multiple factors, but it is what I said it is.

Just a random screenshot from the internet:
xxhttps://imgur.com/uB3sigx

It’s literally called Matchmaking Value. It’s an estimation of where you’ll end up being. It’s not constant. It’s not a guarantee. It can change.

The rating changes are basically how many points of current rating you got. Current rating is not displayed on this screenshot. You can have rating of say 1K and a Matchmaking Value of 2K+. If you play enough, they’ll get closer.

Just by looking at the specific picture, I can imagine the team having rating of ~1500. They get a lot of points from the enemies, because the enemies have very high MMR. The difference however is not enough, so they win 23 instead of ~100.

In Overwatch, I’m sure they are much closer. Just like Kaawumba said, I doubt the difference exceeds 250 (if you were to translate whatever number Blizzard are using for matchmaking purposes into a 4 digit estimation of where you belong in terms of SR), unless someone deliberately threw placements on a new account and then started to play for real.

But for the bajilionth time, SR is not MMR. MMR is not “visual representation” or “translation” of SR. MMR can grant you bonus SR points if it’s much higher than your current SR. Personal performance factor also grants you more SR if you did well, but MMR is not SR.

1 Like

I would assume this is possible.

Actually, I have no idea what happens to your MMR if you leave a game.

It means where you are as of current. It might not be a 100% adequate representation of your skill, as you might have suffered from people throwing your games, disconnects and so on.

But MMR is also not what really matters. You might have Platinum MMR. If every time you’re about to hit Plat you lose, the game is not gonna award you Plat for a loss. Instead, your MMR will drop.

The thing is, I guess it depends on the game. In a game like WoW, some rewards required you to have certain ratings. You would’t be able to obtain said rewards just for MMR, without having the actual rating. You could have 3K MMR, if your rating was not 2200, you would not be allowed to obtain certain rewards.

And ultimately, I would like MMR to be displayed. No, not as a number between -3 and +3, but translated into a 4 digit number, so it corresponds to certain SR.

I want to see the number between -3 and 3. I also want to see a giant list of all people and that number beside their name in descending order. (if their profile is public. If not, it just shows a silhouette as a place holder.)

edit: I’d also like to see the certainty rating each person has. I want the entire formula released to the public. And if that makes it exploitable, then just remove those bits of the formula that are exploitable.

You’re going with the assumption that Overwatch’s system works just like WoW’s just because they both Blizzard games?

I’m sure they’re pretty close or at least have some similarities. And it sounds similar. A number behind the scenes, and one for the players to look at.

Yes. I’m going with the assumption, that Blizzard don’t change the meaning of Matchmaking Value from one game to the next, when they weren’t the ones to invent the concept anyways.

The same way when I go to the store, a hammer is a hammer, and in the other store a hammer is still a hammer and not a life-belt.

And no, they don’t work the exact same way. In WoW MMR is used only for finding enemies. Here is used for finding allies as well (assuming you didn’t queue with 5 others as a full premade).
And for Plat and below, here we have a personal performance factor. In WoW there wasn’t something like that, not to my knowledge anyways.

Well, ideally upon entering a match, I’d like to see everyone with their current SR and MMR next to their name. I’m not sure if -3 or +3 would be the best way to show it.
I mean, you can probably guess what it means (like -3 is someone, who doesn’t belong where he is), but I’d much rather prefer to see that number translated into a 4 digit number corresponding to specific rating.

Say you have me with current rating of 2.3K, but my MMR dropped down to 1.9, which can be indicative of me playing like trash or deliberately throwing matches as of recent.

But they are not gonna show you that, because then you’ll ask “How was I supposed to carry this game with 4 people with lower MMR than SR”. They are not gonna show you those numbers, because you’ll be able to sport irregularities with the system, and because some people will be quite toxic.

that’s not how it works, I don’t think. -3 is 500sr and +3 is 4400sr. 0 is right in the middle (2350sr?)

kaawumba posted somewhere else. a team would look like 0.04, 0.03, 0.04, 0.07, 0.06 and 0.05. This team would be around 2360sr. I think that’s how it works, I’m pretty sure.

they could just not show SR, they could remove it. and let it be known to the community, that if you queue up, then leave mid match, and your team goes onto win, you’ll still gain MMR. Probably one of the many reasons they don’t want to divulge the formula.

Jeff said, “SR means nothing.” Stop conversing like he didn’t say this.

2 Likes

As a visual representation those would be terrible.

Why? I mean sure, the differences in MMR between team members can be an indication, but I don’t see why SR should not be displayed.

I don’t pay attention to every little thing Jeff does. To me, this statement is devoid of context, so I don’t even know what he means by it.

Verily. /20 characters

I thoroughly disagree. I’m licking my chops at something so cut and dry. Especially in a competitive setting!

the reason SR exists is trivial. They can make MMR more palatable if they wish. So 0.03 could actually be shown as 2852. but that number would no longer be affected by non “matchmaking” varibles i.g. disconnecting, draws.

he basically said to Seagull, “SR means nothing.” Seagull & Jeff Kaplan: NEW Hero Confirmed! - YouTube

there ya go

He said they are using MMR for matchmaking. I never argued against that.
He never said SR means nothing. Even if he did, context matters.

“SR is never used for matchmaking.” - Jeff Kaplan

I never argued, that it is.

1 Like

I’m wondering if anyone has ever tried to reverse engineer the math. I imagine you could get close enough to make Bliz uncomfortable.