Sr loss for dcing

you shouldnt lose 50 sr for dcing at the start of the game if it has only happened once or twice you also soudnt lose sr for dcing then re joining the game and winning ive disconnected twice this week and it hasnt happened in months since this week but ive lost 100 sr for nothing especially considering i rejoined one of the games and we ended up winning its supper annoying knowing that i had to spend about 2 hours of time playing this trash game full of throwers and one tricks to get that 100 sr i shouldnt be punished for having a problem with my internet at the start of the game and before this the only time i would dc at the start of the game is because of glitches like oh you are stuck on a loading screen and this only happens on overwatch sucks here lose 50 sr and get a ban like in total ive lost about 500 sr because of that glitch and 100 because of this new bs

Problem is:

Thereā€™s no way for Blizzard to know whether youā€™re having a normal disconnection or if you just shut off your computer.

ā€˜glitchā€™. Are you sure that itā€™s not your internetā€™s fault or something on your side. If it was Overwatchs fault then you couldā€™ve contacted support. :confused:

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, ā€œLost Connection to the Serverā€ in the title screen or the message ā€œFailed to Connect to Serverā€ in red text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that donā€™t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

As always if nothing in that guide works, please start a new topic in the Technical Support forum saying you completed these steps and additional advice can be provided. Good luck!

(^^)v

2 Likes

I think you should only lose 25 sr if you have dc at the start and the match gets cancled ā€¦. itā€™s unfair to lose 50 sr because you canā€™t rejoin.

ā€œI donā€™t like this map so Iā€™m going to DC at the start so the match is cancelled and I can requeue for another map.ā€

It does not matter if you rejoin regardless. I still agree with you, it should be half at the beginning of the match. But, you will take an SR hit even if you rejoin which is part of the problem, in my opinion.

You make great points but thereā€™s still the matter of rejoining a game(maybe even winning it) but still losing the SR. How can you say you canā€™t discern a legitimate disconnection from a game crash in that scenario? Who would disconnect purposefully then rejoin and try their best to still win the game? There has to be some way to keep from punishing players who have occasional internet issues, or at least make the SR decrease less severe for those players. Even with a decent ISP and an ethernet cord, and even playing warm up matches to test my connection before I play comp, there have been multiple times where my game would crash anyway and I would lose all my hard work after reconnecting. It doesnā€™t feel right to be affected by the toxic side of the community that actually do leave games just to throw, when the majority of us are sometimes legitimately unlucky.

The server does not know why you left, only that you left.

First remember if the match was not canceled, a leaver can return within two minutes without penalty. Of course after two minutes or if that leaver left three times or more, they get a penalty.

This is why the penalties start small at a 10-minute suspension and the SR loss is always a fixed amount (it never increases). If players continue to play knowing of possible disconnections or crashes, that is being negligent and will result in penatlies up to and including a seasonal or permanent ban from Competitive Play.

It does suck knowing it was not your intent, but what have you done to fix your disconnection or game crashing issues? There are many great support articles on Blizzardā€™s support pages, and players like myself in the technical support forum help other players resolve common crash and disconnection issues. If that is not enough, Blizzard also makes it easy to directly get in contact with them for one-on-one troubleshooting through their support site (note they cannot appeal Competitive Penalties through their support services). So it comes down to preventing the problem, not working around it.

1 Like

Alright those points are even better.

I thought by rejoining you reset the penalty ā€¦. than it makes no sense to rejoin a match.

Rejoining a game is only possible during certain phases of the game. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.