Sr is complete bs

That’s absolutely ridiculous, there’s clearly a glitch and/or conspiracy against him. He should obviously be Top 500, this has nothing at all to do with placements putting you in a rough vicinity of your last season’s SR. Oh, and probably lots of hackers and smurfs stream sniping him.

1 Like

Hi!

Its your fault, you gotta focus on yourself.
Finish your games before you put out house fires.

Thanks.

4 Likes

What you and people like you fail to understand is basic math.

You are 1/12 of the people in that game. Not a lot depends on you alone.

Yes, individual skill plays a role but to suggest that everything can be fixed by improving your gameplay a bit is just ridiculous and you gotta be mentally challenged to actually believe it.

And the matchmaking system IS horrible. This has been proven again and again by people who were stuck in silver/gold for ages then made a new account and made it to platinum easy.

1 Like

Since you’re going to call me out (a professional engineer) on my math skills, let me educate you (although I’m sure you’ll disregard this.)

If you are better than your SR bracket and are not throwing, then you have 5/6 chances to get a thrower on your team, while the enemy team has 6/6 chances.

If you are better than your SR bracket and you play enough games, you will climb. If you don’t climb, then you need to work on yourself more.

It’s simple statistics.

This was inappropriate and unnecessary, and if that’s truly what you believe then you should google “David Sirlin Playing to Win” - it’s a free ebook written by an actual esports professional. It’s a short read, but it helps you shift from a victim’s mentality to a winner’s mentality.

PS: Medals don’t matter, only winning matters. If you’re playing for medals instead of winning and / or flaming your teammates then you are literally throwing - which means that you are that 1/6 variable that’s keeping you (and your team) down.

2 Likes

This is true and not true. If you play an unrealistic amount of games you can climb. If you don’t climb, it’s not necessarily because “you need to work on yourself more.” You may just need to quit your career in order to play 40 hours a week.

1 Like

Some people need more time to improve, but that doesn’t change the fact that if you’re not climbing it’s because you need to improve.

How fast one climbs is entirely dependent on how much time they invest relative to their skill, relative to their current SR bracket.

1 Like

That’s just funny.
I love how people try to go “the system is good because if you take a large enough number sample it works out eventually”.

What you don’t seem to understand is how MMR works, and the more you play the lower your MMR gains are.

One idiot leaving the game during your placement is enough to offset several of your wins later, and even those wins are further messed up because the game compares you to everyone on your MMR which is further messed up because of smurfs. It’s not enough to win, you gotta win by a larger margin than some random smurf.

The simplest proof of how bad this system is are people who buy new accounts, do their placements and end up higher than the accounts they’ve been playing for years. Just gotta throw $40 at Blizzard for a new cd key and suddenly the system works!
Woosh, just like that you’ve improved your ranking without your skill actually being different.

The current MMR system is a pit full of quicksand and once you get stuck in you’re screwed, you gotta be VASTLY superior to others at your MMR and GRIND enough games to achieve anything.

1 Like

My point still remains. The amount of games required to climb relative to skill is too high. Most people with full time careers or school/any type of social life aren’t playing over 20 hours a week. That’s literally a part time job.

1 Like

That’s irrelevant. I work a full time job and have a family. If you want to “git gud” at something, you have to invest time and effort. If you don’t have the bandwidth to invest in a video game nobody’s going to blame you, but that doesn’t mean you should have something handed to you. That’s the epitome of entitlement.

1 Like

Lol so the private profile thinks it’s ok to have to play an unrealistic amount of games in order to climb? No one said anything about being “handed anything.” Maybe that’s your own Freudian slip. The majority of this player base are casuals. They might grind comp for a couple hours here and there a week, but that’s it. Clearly not enough time for someone with superior skill to climb past throwers, bad teammates, and a broken MMR system.

Oh and BTW FORGET IT if you’re a support main trying to climb without playing 20+ hours a week.

“urnotJustin” literally shows you how broken the system is on his YouTube channel. It’s laughable.

If you can’t recognize how full of contradictions your own post is, then there’s no point in trying to help you break out of your victim mentality. If you ever decide you want to be a winner, google “David Sirlin Playing To Win”

Best wishes!

(mid-diamond Zen main who climbed from gold in solo queue btw)

Lol the profile you’re posting on now is in mid gold and you just asked this on a “I just went from silver to GM” post - “How much grinding was involved, like how many hours a day did you put in on average?” I don’t believe you have a diamond account lol.

The guy’s response? “2 YEARS AND 430 HOURS” lmaooooooo

That’s an INSANE amount of time for anyone who mechanically better than their current SR (minus masters or higher). And 430 hours is QUICK! ROFLGG

Yes, this is my DPS training account. ^^

That’s your opinion.

I don’t need your validation or your belief. ^^

Grinding comp does not necessarily mean you will climb. A person can probably benefit more if they take like 30 min a day to try to improve their own gameplay versus grinding out comp for 1-2 hours a day. Getting advice from other people with vods can help a lot aswell. When people play in the same rank for x amount of hours I imagine they pick up bad habits that they think is okay but actually hurt their chances of winning matches.

Medals are somewhat of a trap. People think that if they have gold medals that they’re doing well but the medals are based on your overall team performance. A match could have gone for 4 minutes and you could have gold elims with 2 kills or you could have gold healing being the only healer on your team and healed for 1000 during that timeframe.

Also to OP, what was your ending sr during the season you went 1 draw 9 losses? If you ended like 700s then the system matched you up with roughly same sr people so placements will land you roughly in where you ended off at.

Also for new “alt/smurf” accounts, don’t people generally place around gold-plat cause the 1st placement baseline is around there (especially if that player has general knowledge of the game). A player can technically be carried and place higher then they should be.

1 Like

Lemme clarify, I don’t feel like you deserve to be Diamond or top 500 or anything like that I’m saying that I did significantly better personally and also team wise and that that doesn’t get shown in my Sr is ridiculous. Both as a team and by myself I had better stats all around the board and better win ratio. So it’s not just because of me and it’s not because my team isn’t working well together it’s just a ridiculous system

Placements depend most on previous season end, followed by win/loss record, followed by statistical performance. To climb at any significant speed, you need to play much more than placements. See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 12) → Season Transitions for more.

Didn’t realize I play like I’m GM! Thanks for the confidence boost! I’m such a pro

The current meta rewards low skill heros. Who cares about SR in this current Overwatch.

SR is completely undermined by MMR, which is a handicapping system.