SR changes based on average SR at my rank?

I’ve seen a lot of people state the following in regards to SR changes:

The amount of SR you win or lose is largely dependent upon how you perform relative to others at that same SR who play that hero.

I.e. A 2600SR Reaper does far better than the average 2600SR Reaper and thus gains significantly more SR.

Now let me explain my scenario, which seems to debunk this idea:

Three weeks ago I was roughly 2700SR. I’m currently at 3239. The entire climb from 2700 to 3239, I gained 23-27SR. Never any more or less. No exaggeration-not a single game was outside these numbers.

But the average player at 2700 is obviously different (worse) than the average player at 3239. So according to the theory that SR is influenced by average performance at a given rank, one of two things should be happening:

A) When I was at 2700, I should have been gaining significantly more SR as I must be above average as quickly as I’m climbing.

B) Now that I’m at 3239, I should been gaining significantly less SR because I’m likely underperforming relative to the average.

Neither is happening. Regardless of rank, my changes in SR are pretty static.

Can anyone explain this?

TL;DR: My SR change is the same regardless of what SR I’m at, so it seems to be uninfluenced by how others who play the same hero perform.

0-2999: Based on stats relative to those who played the same hero at the same rank. This puts emphasis on you improving your personal skil and game sense. (This makes it hard for one-tricks. You will play against counters or on poor maps, making you do terribly. This is still compared to everyone else)

3000^: You gain SR based on the game as a whole. Your whole team will lose/gain similar SR. This makes you work on your team play and communication (perfect for one-tricks who have an effect on the game that aren’t reflected in stats)

1 Like

The performance modifier is only a small effect, and only happens below 3000. You are compared to other players of your hero/rank/map. See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 10) for a more complete explanation, especially the performance modifier section.