Sportsmanship in Competitive

I think we need to have an honest discussion here about the sportsmanship in competitive and what needs to be done to fix it.

just push more ridic ExC cards by and for the 1% that’ll fix it.

4 Likes

Hardware bans for unsportsmanlike conduct. Do like Riot does for Valorant and record chat. That way if people spam someone for toxicity, it’s reviewed and dismissed if false.

3 Likes

posted by SmurfinOnU, A name designed to try to tilt people, my I introduce you to smurfing, intentionally keeping MMR low to roll low lobbies. yeah maybe someone else should speak on sportsmanship

13 Likes

wut does that even mean? it’s a sliding scale entirely subjective entirely rank dependent etc. the number of false positives would strip the game.

if u mean tbag and toxic chat? because game sab doesn’t exist in my rank (bot500) i don’t think there is a reportable “throwing” offence when the game classifies you in the bottom 0.001% of everyone to ever game year after year

honestly the only thing universally unsportsmanlike is having low integrity ladder filled with alts, no-reset seasons, and ofc rigging every single lobby using code we can’t publically audit and review for accountability.

1 Like

There is none, and forget it, Jake, it’s Chinatown.

4 Likes

This is my forum account. Check my level if you don’t believe me I bought it from a friend.

1 Like

That’s not exactly how smurfing (in Overwatch works).

SR and MMR aren’t the same number. Throwing games won’t necessarily lower your MMR.

2 Likes

Why don’t you post on your main then? :thinking:

3 Likes

sportsmanship is just a nonsence term these days.

have you ever seem how opposing sports teams treat each other on the field?

Next day they are all buddy buddy in private.

Now team mates are normally pretty good to each other, but they also do their job and not some randomly invented what they think they should be doing.

Can you imagine what would happen if the pictcher and a ball game walked off and started playing jenga, of if their glove broke and they kept fumbling catches cause of it. get straight kicked off the team. same thing when a person is hard countered but stick to playing a hacked hamster.

1 Like

You know what I think I will just so I don’t have to jump through so many hoops.

I like the challenging topic.

I think the game developers need to think of ways to incentivize ‘Honor’ and Sportsmanlike behavior…

That would require brain storming and I think a worthwhile conversation separate from discussing the flaws & ‘situation’ were in now.

Personally I believe we got to the (low) levels we are now due to certain issues that push people into “I need to do it all myself…” mentalities.

I’ve played many many hours of this game. I like to keep an eye for patterns and consider myself pretty observant.

I think a short way of saying all of what I’m sitting on is that…

There’s a problem in ability to sync up with your teammates - everyone seems to wait on the other teammates to make a move be it because they’re new to the game or they are expecting too much from one another.

Some are passive and will only start their job when they have a very clear sign that says “go”

Some are pushed to try and create that very clear sign and I consider the mentality as a “playmaker” - it can exist between all the roles and players (playmakers) are trying to create momentum to get the rest of the team engaged.

I feel there’s a really unfortunate symptom of this pattern (& I also see this pattern as a demand or need). Teams will only rally around someone they feel safe to do something with.

Tryhards who are trying to do everything on their own to create momentum & make plays can easily be punished if no one has their back, if the team is passive & waiting on point while they watch someone try to do the heavy lifting…
This leads to that person being abandoned and toxicity is often a factor as well.

So often you can find a whole team trying to work around a Roadhog because he’s such a ‘rambo’ character & it makes the game feel like it’s really spoiled (:nauseated_face:) - there’s more I’d say here but I don’t want to detract.

It’s a beautiful moment when you can be paired with a team who shares your tempo & you can easily sync - Voice chat is the major tool for creating this synchronicity but it’s pretty crap to exist amongst all the verbal abuse.

I long for Honorable games & competitive combat, I miss the sportsmanship & I think the community has a bit of a cancer in it’s current state.

2 Likes

There is no honor or sportsmanship in this game, because allies are temporary, and can be your enemies next game.

And yes, safety, which is mostly lost - you are never safe in this game anymore. Always seconds away from instant death.

Most players aren’t willing to check with their lives, what area ahead holds for them.

2 Likes

I feel that behind those words are frustrating things like stun lock, and anti-nade. They are quite frustrating & powerful.

I think that what is missing for a lot of people is the experience necessary to read the fight & exchanges… be it waiting or baiting out those powerful abilities…
…there tends to be a lack of ability to capitalize on various openings in the ebb and flow of combat.

It doesn’t always have to mean your life, it’s where skill can really shine.

1 Like

would rather see more bans on the very toxic players. lot of sexist, racist, and homophobic players in this community plenty to hand out those hammers to.

2 Likes

Can’t get me engaged, luckily.

I always view myself as “plan B” option, not “plan A”. Avoiding engagements is my main goal.

There is no fix. Online shooters have been toxic since day one and people who play comp and are serious about it play to win.

2 Likes

Fix humanity and you will fix OW sportsmanship.

2 Likes

Top comment

He says, posting on a smurf account