Spatial Sound is broken: here's a workaround

The problem
You may notice that sounds in the game are not working properly - the voices of any character that isn’t the announcer or your hero are muffled - enemy guns don’t produce sounds, and you don’t hear footsteps. If any of this applies to you, this is the fix you’re looking for.

The Workaround
Go into your Windows settings - disable Spatial sound. Then go into Overwatch’s sound settings and enable “Dolby Atmos for Headphones”. For whatever reason, this patch has once again broken the link between Overwatch and Windows when it comes to spatial sound and until there’s a more permanent fix, this is what I found works for me.

Let me know if there’s anything else I missed. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Solved my audio issues, thank you based Cinderball!

No news of an official fix so far as I know - keep spreading the word and please post here if there’s any news from the devs. :slight_smile:

Bookmarked this because its already helped at least 4 people who I linked here :heart:

Glad to hear it, and thanks for passing it around! I know it caused me endless frustration when the problem first hit me, and I hope Blizzard are actually aware of it - I’d repost this in the bug report forum but it just gets ignored / buried.

1 Like

Thank you so much.
I noticed my games were randomly dropping certain sounds, like I got Mercy in MH earlier and I wasn’t getting the ‘heal-up’ noise that’s produced from healing heroes sometimes, enough that it wasn’t something I just though was an audio-line overload.

I thought I was going deaf or something! Thanks Cinderball.

Oh don’t worry, we can fire up a Bastion-only custom game with permanent ultimate charge and we’ll soon get you back to being completely deaf. :wink:

No, please! I don’t deserve this!

It was posted in the bug forum that they’re working on a fix.

Neat, that’s good to hear. :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, it’ll be over quickly. :wink:

For anyone who is interested:

1 Like