Southeast Asians are heavily underrepresented in video games

Ok then … I’ll leave you to it then. Always the same with threads like this anyways. :slight_smile:

I mean, if you’re gonna call made up math that doesn’t even represent the argument your trying to refute a “fact,” then honestly that’s just as well.

I mean what part of this was supposed to be factual?

Just next time agree to disagree, is all I’m saying. I really hate when people misrepresent opinions as facts. It’s my pet peeve.

:wave:t6:

Moira is an Irish hero.

Because you’re not the first, nor the last, to open a discussion like this. It gets tiring. Especially as it’s not even a specific hero request that is thought out in terms of role, abilities, backstory, etc. It’s just an empty worthless post with “I want so and so what do you think lol?”

And then you get surprised if people don’t contribute to your echo chamber? Gee, I really wonder where the problem lies here.

3 Likes

Crap you’re right. I sometimes completely forget. I don’t really see the Irish influence in her design. Even her name is greek origin and she doesn’t really have an accent.

1 Like

If you want a fully fleshed out example of why one would be cool, check this one out.

Okay. So whats your “opinion” then ? How many countries are there ? How many genders ? In short: just how many heroes do we need to satisfy everyone that feels underrepresented ?

4 Likes

Take a ticket, get in line pal.
You’re after the black woman, the Trans woman, and the gay man.

1 Like

I’m on my phone so couldn’t really go through those files. But I think I’ve seen that one before. Aquatic themed support right? I like the design. Didn’t Jeff also compliment the creator?

Abilities and role… don’t think another support with CC displacement abilities will be received well. At this point I would like another tank. But a hero like that gets my vote.

maybe we need a support that can remove cc from players?

How can they make 1 hero represent the entirety of Southeast Asia as you put it?

1 Like

I mean most likely most people would be satisfied with the big regions all represented since Blizzard said they wanted the game to be more global, this is an opportunity to have one hero from all of them. I’m sure some people will post until the bigger regions are represented.

North America
South America
Carribeans
Western Europe
Eastern Europe
Australia
Oceania
North Africa
sub-Saharan Africa
Middle East
East Asia
South East Asia
South Asia

And most of those are already represented.

1 Like

You can’t, but having at least one hero from the general area would be a great step forward.

1 Like

We had a post earlier calling for Moira to be given a leprechaun skin and claiming it was in no way bigoted or racist. Nothing this community says surprises me.

2 Likes

Yep. I am sure nationalist, racist, hateful war-stereotypes are the next thing on Blizzard’s docket.

5 Likes

Yup. That’s the one. She was designed with heavy Thai influences and honestly fits right in. I don’t know about abilities, as you said, but aesthetically I’d love a hero with that kind of design influence. Thailand would be a serious contender for a hero with a gorgeous design aesthetic.

There is nothing “Anti American” about modern Vietnam. In a Pew Research center poll last year, 84% of Vietnamese had a favorable view of America. They are widely considered the most Pro-US nation in Southeast Asia.

A Vietnamese hero would be great, although a Malaysian, a hero from the Philipines, or Indonesia would be awesome. I would also like to see a Persian hero.

7 Likes

There is an amazing concept for thai hero, Tara. The person/people behind it surely had to put so much effort into it, would be amazing to see her in game once.

Also…Ayutthaya should be more then just arcade map in my opinion. That’s a place though, not a hero.

1 Like

Right, because that is what Blizzard is for. The customers go “I’d really like a Southeast Asian Character”, then they can and should be trusted to do the rest. The idea that they are gonna take a detailed character proposal and make it happen and put themselves at the legal risk associated with uncompensated IP use is as insane as anything I’ve seen on these forums.

A generic “I’d like a Southeast Asian” is plenty.

1 Like

Yep, that happened to Skull Girls. The devs put fan character in the game as an homage and the fan immediately sued them. They just patched the character out.

WoW used to (And FFXIV still does!) have a clause in their ToS that says any character or original content you make using the game or the IP belongs to Blizzard / Square Enix respectively.