Sound popping, crackling, or just selectively missing

I am having an issue in 1.21 where the sound is popping, crackling or have most of the sounds selectively missing altogether (I can hear Reaper’s shots, but not Doomfist charging up, and other issues like that around the map; much like having limited channels playing on my sound). This happens intermittently through my gameplay and has only been happening on the current version and the PTR. The problem is only limited to OverWatch, even when playing music in the background, and seems to happen most when I join a game or have a character die and respawn. As for the current version of the PTR, I will have all sound completely cut-off and not return until I have respawned, and that can be after multiple deaths or finished the game.

I run sound on an on-board Realtek High Definition Audio chip.

Edit: After coming back to this and rereading it, I will add in that I have done the “scan and repair,” have reinstalled the game, and checked for updates to my sound driver. None of it works.

4 Likes

Hmmm this could potentially be related to major ongoing audio issues happening in the game over the course of the last few months, if you’re still experiencing these issues please share your issue and any relevant videos in this thread:

Hi! Old topic here, but I imagine a lot of people are still looking for a solution. I solved mine today by going into the settings of my playback device (focusrite USB for me) and changing it from 8 channels to 2. This is under the Advanced tab.

If you try the “Test”-button there, all other six channels may have crackling on them.

I am experiencing a similar bug where sometimes my headset picks up half of the sounds, Say I wont hear the trumpets on the opening screen, but ill hear the undertone of the cars or whatever in the background. This mainly happens on the main screen. I am aware that the trumpets go away normally anyways, but I get audio cracks and seemingly fights over what to play. Like sometimes it will play a few notes and then skip to the background noises. Sometimes it will crack and other days I wont have it at all. It is possible its on my end, but i’ve now experienced this on 3 different computers, different headsets and still randomly happens. Gameplay wise, when a ton of noise happens at once, sometimes it breaks and cracks, then cuts all audio, then comes back no problem never to have it happen again… If anyone has any idea what might be going on, im all ears. (also yes, have installed multiple times aswell)