Sound is muffed

Be sure not to be using surround sound as it would be able to cause this problem.

My surround sound is off and the problem still persists though, doubt its surround sound but it could be for someone else

I checked and all my settings are what they should be. It’s only Overwatch having the issue.

Reinstalling my audio drivers (as in uninstalling them and letting Windows 10 reinstall them) seems to have helped? I’ll have to play more to know for sure.

Edit: Reinstalling the sound driver fixed my issue.

Having this exact problem as well.

Hey guys,

Could I have you check your spatial audio settings for me? Right click your volume icon in your system tray, then the middle option for “Spatial Sound”. Check and see if it’s turned off or using Windows Sonic or another similar spatial system.

Mine is turned off. Should it be using the windows sonic?

Mine’s turned off too.

I’m having this exact same problem, also started recently. Chrome / YouTube works fine but Overwatch is kind of quiet / muffled / has no low end even with everything at 100.

Windows sonic is turned off for me.

1 Like

sound is in general broken… footsteps not to hear, pharah flying above you… not to hear, ultimate sound completely broken.

2 Likes

I fixed it disabling WIndows spatial audio.

1 Like

It’s an issue with the latest windows update. It’s noted in the windows update history update notes under issues. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Seems that enabling Windows Sonic will fix the main audio issue, however the game does not sound nearly as clear as it used to.

I was having a problem where I could not hear anything behind my character, including ultimates.

1 Like

Ok, I’m glad to see I’m not crazy. Having this exact same issue, only way to hear Overwatch is to increase volume to 100%…and even then you can BARELY hear the game. Looks like it’s a Windows bug, but Overwatch is the only application I have affected. Everything else seems to be working fine.

I’ll try reinstalling my audio drivers.

Most likely Overwatch is the only one affected since Overwatch supports Spatial/Surround audio.

Several problems have been reported, but the big problem seems to be in the pic up voice microphone on the back side of the character.
The ears on the back sounds like it is equipped much more forward and far away than in front of me.
If this is not an Overwatch bug, something may have changed with Windows10 Update.
Thanks.

Ok i had a problem that anything behind me(sounds) would be really quiet. It was the windows update causing the error, i found this out by doing a system restore and it fixed it. I already posted this on my thread but i’ll post it again.
Basically i used this thing called the “show and hide update troubleshooter” which basically finds updates that aren’t working and hides them so windows won’t reinstall them. So you have to go to “updates,update history,uninstall update” and uninstall the latest updates but make sure after you uninstall them you press “restart later”. Once you do that for all the new updates use the trouble shooter to hide them and restart and boom it’s fixed.
This is what worked for me but i can’t guarantee it will work for anyone else, apparently when there is a new update it will still install and hopefully the new update won’t scuff the sound.
Hope this helps.

I’m getting this issue too, just started today after the Bastion Lego update.

Surround works when set to spatial audio, but everything is slightly muted, it’s maddening. Restarting the game, PC or Windows Audio service doesn’t fix it.

Btw, it looks like the issue is caused by a Windows 10 update, Microsoft has acknowledge that there is an issue with the audio. So we will have to wait until Microsoft fixes the issue.

also having this issue. sooo many ults going off that I never even heard the cues for…

1 Like