Sometimes, OW seems to choose the most insignificant play as potg

so I popped off and got 3 headshot kills with widowmaker in the span of like 8 seconds but my highlight turns out to be me on mccree shooting a pharah down and landing a single shot on a roadhog. I’m sure everyone has had one point where they go wtf on their highlight because sometimes it seems to choose the most insignificant play as potg or a highlight. Any plans on fixing this?

2 Likes

The POTG system is all based on Fire Points, the faster you can get kills/assists, the more fire points you get. That’s why Sombra hardly gets POTG because the kills she gets are usually too far apart, and the only time she does get play is when she EMPs and assists everyones kills within 5 seconds.

2 Likes

Not true. I think POTG Is based way more off something else other than “Fire Points”. I can think of at least 10 occasions where I was playing S76 or Zen or Rein where I got a quad kill in a span of fewer than 5 seconds and the POTG went a Brid that gets 2 kills that weren’t double kill, a JR that gets 2 kills from a tire, or a Hanzo who gets 2 kills that weren’t a double.

yeah most times when i dragon blade i kill 4+ but no potg for me cause a widow landed a headshot on a target that was frozen by mei

I am fairly sure POTG is randomly given to a player, and then perhaps the fire points determines which play that player uses. The thing is if your picked and you did nothing that match it might be one of those POTG’s where Mercy just heals for 10 seconds and thats it.

Though I do question it’s choices at times even beyond that. I got a 5 man kill Orisa’s Halt but when it gave me POTG it used the 2 man kill one I got earlier in the match.

In one game I tossed a translocator, appeared, EMPed the whole enemy team and proceeded to mow down Rein, Mercy and Sym.

I stood on the payload and did my bow animation with the holographic crowd as it pushed forward to victory as my team just regrouped behind me…

PLAY OF THE GAME: Generic Junkrat double kill.

Potg is reserved for hanzo zarya combo only.

You must not have done a majority of the damage when you killed the 3 enemies with Widow.

If 3 enemies have very low health and you merely just finish them off, headshot or not, it’s not going to be that significant.

If they had max health and you just popped off and went “DINK DINK DINK”, then yes that would be PotG.

Perhaps when you were McCree, you dealt with the Pharah all by yourself and you got some good damage on the Hog

Yeah, it’s pretty weird. I have a POTG as Lucio where all I did was barely hit 4 people.

chances are those are ‘special’ kinds of potgs? like sharpshooter, lifesaver. majority of the potgs afaik are fire meter based tho it does put those ‘special potgs’ in higher priority

I actually saw that one coming. I bet it was Junkrat’s default highlight intro to boot.

I once got a PoTG for killing one person. Wasn’t even an environmental kill.

Maybe we should call it… Play of the Lame! :sunglasses:

I always thought the “special POTG” were the worst. I’ve seen Junkrat get life saver just by killing an enemy (one that was only firing at himself, so he saved his own life). Sharp Shooter also just seems to be given to random kills. And not always precise long distance shots like you’d think.