Something isn't right

I hope I’m not asking a dumb question or something, long story coming just to give everybody an idea of what we’re working with:

I recently got a new computer. This is pretty cool, since my last computer ran so terribly that I was lucky to even be running on 5 FPS. I know that sounds pretty insane, I guess I didn’t realize how terrible it was until I got a new computer, it feels great!

My performance has gone up exceptionally! Compared to where I was two seasons ago, I had only won two games out of my ten placement games. My FPS was so bad I couldn’t aim because I didn’t know where anybody was, sometimes character models didn’t even load in. I often played Lucio or Moira and played based off of sound to determine where I was, and if I was doing my job as a healer, and other things of the sort! Sometimes I’d have a few seconds of playing solely based off of sound, but I still managed to do my job and get gold healing. I got silver, better than I thought!

Since then, I’ve improved exponentially. It’s kind of insane, actually! I didn’t expect I’d be doing well at all, having not exactly grown up with first person shooter games. My FPS is smooth and it’s like playing a different game entirely. Of course, that alone won’t be enough to improve my rank. Although, my potential has gone up exceptionally! I always have an exceptional amount of damage for a support, while carrying a very efficient amount with gold healing always, and almost always gold eliminations and gold objective kills, and depending on the hero, gold to silver objective time! I’ve even been getting POTGs, something I never got to achieve previously. My accuracy, inevitably, has gone up nicely. I’ve been getting kills like I hadn’t been able to before, I can save my teammates, I can shut down and cc the enemy team with ease and it’s been a smooth ride no matter how much the ranked games I played were trying to give me another loss! I won seven out of ten… and I got the same rank I had before, on that old computer, where I couldn’t do a single thing but heal.

It tore me apart to come to the end of my placements and see myself exactly where I was before. I’m doing so much more than I could do before, and I’m in the exact same place with my SSR. Of course, during placements, the wins and losses don’t count as much as the performance, but my performance is nowhere near where it was before. Of course, it isn’t some amazing newfound skill or anything, I can just finally perform in-game like a normal person, but I’m kind of amazed that I can get the same rank in two completely different places.

I was wondering if I did something wrong. Maybe there’s something I’m forgetting or don’t know about placements, competitive, ect.

TL;DR I got silver with 5 FPS where I couldn’t perform at all. I now have 60 FPS and I’m doing notably exceptional compared to how I was doing before and I got silver again. Did I mess up?

It’s placements dude.
About the best / worst you could ask for is 100 SR movement - very few people get more than that.

Hell if you got your T-500 buddy to play on your new computer on your account he still probably wouldn’t have placed higher than 1750.

From a practical side try S-76 and Pharah - now you have a decent PC.
You should be able to climb, though it won’t be quick - plan on at least 10 hours to reach gold.

2 Likes

True, but I am incredibly curious about what’s being measured.
My usual eliminations went from 2 to 28, same for objective kills.
My healing, which used to be from 6-8k, is now what I typically make in a single round, so my end game tends to be 15k-25k healing average. My damage used to only be in the low hundreds, but now its in the thousands. Maybe not much, probably shouldn’t be much as a support but I think it’s pretty nice, maybe a notable mention between the differences.

It just seems so wild. I’m wondering why I didn’t place lower before, or why I didn’t rank higher now. Perhaps I do belong in silver, but I don’t think with how I performed previously with my old setup that I belonged in silver at all.

I have never seen an official answer to what stats are measured.

I go with a simple metric: Deaths & Medals.

To get out of bronze/silver your team needs to win team fights.
To help your team win team fights you need to be alive - hence staying alive is the most important factor.

After that, you have to be contributing hence (gold) medals - if your healing you should have gold heals - consistently even when there are other good healers on your team.

The same is true for DPS you should have the golds that typical good players on your hero have.

I don’t really play tanks, so I can’t advise there.

Either way, I feel pretty insulted and hurt. Did they place me too high those seasons ago or am I too low this season? I feel like averaging three gold medals each game is pretty good. Is it because I’m playing support and not DPS, maybe the damage dealt is more vital than any of the other medals? I just can’t wrap my head around it, but I don’t think anyone else can either, and Blizzard doesn’t care.

Maybe we’ll find out one day.

If you’ve improved as much as you made it out to be, you’re going to climb. Placements always place you near where you left off. Also, you focus too much on medals which may be hurting your play. Quit worrying about them.

Placements don’t actually place you - they’re just normal matches with a different name, and always put you near where you were before. If you’ve improved drastically, just play for a few hours and you’ll easily climb.

3 Likes

…and now you know why placements are stupid.

2 Likes

True, I do recognize that I don’t need to worry about them anymore, now it’s just about winning.

Congratulations on your new PC, Spooky and also, if this is your first time here, welcome to the forums as well!

Perhaps view it as your gaming experience for Overwatch has improved tremendously as compared to your performance going up exceptionally because of the new PC. Maybe that might help to put things into a better perspective?
The next step to to get them shiny new RGB enabled peripherals!

With regards to SR, Kaawumba made an informative thread here and it may be helpful to you:

My own experience with placement SR has been a little wonky, so you are not alone.

In season 10, i did placements for fun and my record was 2W-7L-1 Draw and received 1564 SR, while for season 11 placements, my record was 5W-5L and i received 1469 SR. For season 10, i played just 1 more game on top of the placements and the final SR was 1546.

I went from 2,300~ on my old laptop with an old mouse

I got an omen and a special mouse, and i placed around 2,350~. Since then ive climbed up to a current seasonal averae of 2,750~. Im still improving, better tech just put me on the same starting line as everyone else, it didn’t give me a headstart

Thanks for the links. But please post the current version: How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 12). I update it every season.

1 Like

Thanks for the work, Kaaw. Does it change that drastically every season to warrant having you to redo very time?

Not really, but I started making a new thread each season when I was having trouble with my old threads getting locked due to age.

And it has the benefit that there is a history of changes (at least since I started doing this).

1 Like

Totally understand. Thank you very much for the effort and i would say “labour of love” instead of “hard work” because you appear to enjoy analysing the trend and crunching numbers.

OTT: You had training/education as a statistician/economics/mathematics?
I have 2-3 friends who graduated from university with me and their love for stats and analysis are like yours. 2 of them were economics majors and the other majored in statistics.

All of this is super helpful, thank you everyone! I’m giving myself lots of time on Brigitte, and I’ve got a really really long way to go, so wish me luck!

1 Like

PhD in a blend of Physics and Neuroscience. These days I’m a scientific programmer at a company that supports scientific research.

Yes, much of my analysis of SR and matchmaking is recreational science.

2 Likes

Have fun, Spooky!
Enjoy your new PC =)

Very nice.

I have always applauded the dedication it takes to achieve a PhD.
One of my buddies whom i mentioned, did a double Masters. One was in Economics and another was in pedagogy. He did his PhD in Education mid-way and just could not push himself past the finish line.
Another friend is still doing his research based PhD in Canada … for 5 years and counting.
i, after graduating together with my buddies from the National University of Singapore, have been too caught up with life and could not spare the time nor have the opportunity to pursue any post-grad studies. I seriously envy all of you who have the opportunity to do so. :smile:

Thanks for the analysis and stat crunching, Kaaw. They are all a pleasure to read. Seriously.

1 Like