Something is wrong with placements

I won 4 games and lost 6 games in my placement matches and somehow lost 500 SR? How is that even possible? I finished season 8 at 2570 and was placed with 2070. I spent seasons 3-8 in platinum comfortably between 2500 and 2800 after grinding season 2-3 to get up there. I’ve been a platinum player for 6 seasons in a row and now suddenly i’m a borderline gold silver? I have never lost anywhere near 500 SR for 6 loses. That’s about 100 SR per loss. I would be fine if I placed high gold because I did lose 6 games but this doesn’t make any sense. I lost way too much SR. It’s like I only got 10 SR for a win while losing close to 100 for a loss. The loses were also still pretty good games. It’s not like my team got blown out and steam rolled. Maybe only 1 or 2 games was like that but most of those loses were really good games where both teams played well. I am extremely annoyed and don’t think i’ll be playing competitive this season because of this. I may not play next season either. There is no reason for a platinum for 6 seasons to suddenly drop to almost silver. That’s an issue. No one should suddenly drop 2 ranks because of 6 loses.

1 Like

Placements shouldn’t do that… I mean they always put players really close to where they were the previous season even if their performance was terible then.

I don’t know why it placed you so low

1 Like

Yeah exactly that’s what I thought. I wasn’t throwing, I wasn’t trolling, I was playing my best and was doing well. I think below diamond it’s still performance based SR and I had really good stats. But it’s more important to win games than to have good stats so it’s not like i’m only playing for stats. I was playing to win every single game and had some great games. I have no idea what happened.

Sounds to me the system is starting to work and putting players where they deserve to be.

1. How can he belong to super low gold when he spent several seasons in plat?
  2. No it doesn’t, if it does then the devs would tell us
3 Likes

I had this happen in Season 8. I dropped 354 SR from where I’d finished Season 7 during placements. I’ve placed high gold low plat in every season since season 2, roughly 2450+/-150 for every season. I ended S7 at 2426, and placed 2072 in S8. After checking over my stats I’d done at least as well as my average in nearly all categories and even outplayed some of my previous season performances (where I’d placed higher in those seasons).

Something is wrong with the placement calculations. I just hope it doesn’t happen again.

3 Likes

There is definitely something wrong with placements and i’m pretty sure it depend on which hero you play. Hear this:
I was master from season 3 to season 7 mostly playing D.VA. In one of those season i played a lot of bastion and torbjorn during my placements match because i didnt care about the game at that time and i still got placed in master.
Now, in season 8 and 9 i decided to do my placement matchs with MOIRA. Both times i was playing very good, having lots of gold medals (even damage), being on fire most of the time, doing good stuff bla bla bla. I was very optimistic that i could end up close to GM or at least at 3800 ±.
Yeah… both time i got placed at 3450 and i’m really NOT happy about that. I feel robbed.

4 Likes

I know there are a lot of people not playing to win. I lost 8 out of my 10 placements and got just above bronzes. I have spent most of my time in gold but at the end of the of season 8 I lost over 500 sr myself. And no I do not suck and I am not just playing dps, I main tanks and two or three dps but I still lost games because people leaving and not trying to kill. I watched people just feed alts to the other team and then just die. If you are one of thos people stop playing comp. I want to be in plat but with how mean people are they do not want to win but just make your life a living hell. I play only on Xbox and season 8 was better then season 9 by far. Maybe the matchmaking is just fu#d or maybe Overwatch needs to ban people for a longer time like say 6 hours instead of just 10 mins.

1 Like

exactly. It’s not just me. How do you suddenly become worse the more you play a game? I don’t have any dreams of getting to diamond after spending 6 seasons in platinum but I feel like I should still be around platinum. I’m 50 SR away from silver.

1 Like

That does seem really weird, I don’t know what to tell you about that one.

2 Likes

I also played Moira in my placements. Mostly Moira and Mercy. Are supports being robbed?

3 Likes

it definitely seems like your SR kinda depend on wich hero you play. In some seasons it was extremely easy to gain rank with mercy if i remember for exemple…
I seriously wonder how godly you have to play to rank well with moira…

3 Likes

Because their placement algorithms are horrible. They’re based on faulty logic and past performance without doing clean resets each season and also “hero performance” if you’re not in plat+

Sounds like you flexed a lot and that got you hosed in the performance category.

3 Likes

Placements are so dumb, I have the opposite issue where no matter how I do I place within 10 points of my ending rating. This year I went 2-8 and dropped like 5 SR. I don’t understand the point of it.

2 Likes

Support aren’t being robbed. I played Moira, Lucio, and Zen in my placements and went from 3822 (end of last season) to being placed at 3810 SR this season.

I pulled up your stats and your Mercy stats look quite underwhelming, likely you are getting picked off too much.

www.overbuff(dot)com/players/psn/meegal4?mode=competitive

I did flex like I always do. Because no matter how well you play you wont gain points for a loss so I prioritize winning over performance and a good team comp is important. Thanks for hating flex players blizzard I guess.

1 Like

This would be an interesting problem. I normally flex/dps, but Season 8 I only played DPS. I put more time on Junkrat then on my usual DPS (Pharah/Soldier). I don’t see why that should be responsible for such a massive drop though. It discourages people from adding new characters to their repertoires.

3 Likes

easy. instalock widow and hanzo in quickplay

This is true for competitive overall, but we are talking placement matches here.

For placement matches it doesn’t matter if you win or you lose, it’s how well you play your hero. So for placement you take your best hero and you stick with it throughout all your placement matches.

I wish I had your luck