Sombra's pick rate is back to "normal"

Sure, I said “soon” but no doubt it is more likely soon™

1 Like

Actually this is wrong. People keep saying that but it is not true. The hack still got interrupted by damage. She just could restart it right away. Which means: keep doing damage to her to avoid getting hacked. Then she will either run away to escape or die.
The 2 seconds cd is just a help for those who cannot output constant damage. Which is actually unfair since Sombra was the one getting a buff. Why help the enemy to compensate that?

2 Likes

Sometimes, the damage makes it feel like Sombra is trying to tickle enemies to death.

2 Likes

Enemy was killed by suppressive fire.

I still enjoy using her but she’s clunky as hell. Pre-buff Sombra felt played more fluid than she does now. They really need to iron out all her bugs. My hacks are constantly being broken up even when I maintain LoS.

They should really consider redistributing some power in her kit. Tighten the spread on her gun a little more, and make health packs give ult charge again, just at a way lower rate.

1 Like

Incidentally, it’s not “normal”, it’s now worse than Season 8.

And my guess is that the pick rate will drop even more…

This is what I don’t get about the people who complain about the added CD.

Your only argument is you’re going to have to leave anyways. The CD isn’t noticeable at all in that case, so why are you so hung up on it being around?

If it’s focus fire, sure you leave. It’s a massive deal when it’s not focus fire that causes it.

But it’s also why I don’t agree it’s all that needs removing to bring her back up to speed.

Good Afternoon Slyther0829. :sparkling_heart:

May I ask you think question as it is very hard to tell where you stand as I been seeing you a lot lately.

Do you think Sombra is fine Yes/No. Why?

Afternoon Somvra!

(Fair warning, I type a lot and now that I’m finishing this up, I’m realizing that it’s just turned into rambling, like normal with me. So, apologies, but hopefully it’s at least clear)

Do I think Sombra, as a whole, is fine as she is currently on live?
No, but Blizzard needs to be careful with her.
I feel like her hack is in a similar category as Mei’s freeze. Both heroes could use a buff, sure. But if they do it wrong and make them “universally viable” like people seem to want, the abilities can become way too oppressive and everyone hates playing against them because they can feel overpowered, even if their actual individual strength is debatable (see: Brigitte).
Also, we can’t just use the excuse of “well she’s supposed to counter dive, especially Tracer!” since her countering dive also means countering literally everyone else unless some very specific, slightly wonky, and possibly a little unfair limits are put in place (again, see: Brigitte).
So while I don’t expect Sombra to ever be one of the heroes at the top of the pickrate list like Tracer or Genji for “oppressive” reasons, she could still use something so she isn’t stuck at sub-1% (something more than general bug fixes, though those would probably help significantly).

That said
The reason you see me a lot, and probably the source of confusion, is that I don’t personally think the nerfs were really as bad as people seem to say.

Now vs Before

People have been claiming that “she’s in a worse spot than before the rework” when in reality, up until this thread, every time I checked she was objectively doing better both on the ladder and in the OWL, even if only by a hair at times (I really don’t like when people try to stretch the truth just to suit their needs).

CD Changes

Like I said in my previous comment, the CD change doesn’t really change much unless you’re just holding down the button, waiting to get lucky. Even if it gets stopped by a random bullet not meant for you, that bullet still wasn’t meant for you, so the enemy probably isn’t going to suddenly ignore your entire team, come together, and focus you down perfectly in that 2 seconds of downtime. Even then, let’s not pretend that it happens all the time to the point where Sombra is completely useless because of it.

LoS Changes

The LoS changes, in theory, should be fine and unnoticeable. Her hack is still faster than before all this, and the removal of the grace period means people actually get a chance to react while the changes should keep it just as reliable. The problem here is it just made her hack buggy since they likely just copied over Road’s Hook LoS checks when hook and hack function differently. So while the idea was good, the execution was poor. But this falls under “bug fixes” more than balancing issues, so it needs to be fixed regardless.

(Click above to see my reasonings, just trying to make this a little more scroll friendly)

I’d honestly put the changes on the same line as 35% ironclad Bastion (though of course not nearly as severe). The nerfs themselves were fine and justified, but both heroes need some sort of compensation so they can actually stand a chance afterwards.

2 Likes

Because Blizzard only aims to please CERTAIN people while refusing to admit they were wrong.

It’s actually worse now because her winrate is lower than it originally was.

Think of the meta that’s happening right now. Does Sombra fit into it well? No, she really doesn’t.

What I’ve been saying FOREVER. If you can shoot her, she can’t hack you and most of the time, you CAN kill her before she kills you or she’ll back off, so the 2sec cooldown feels like a cruel and unusual punishment. I wanna know where her being “buffed” comes back in with the nerfs because A, Brigitte and all the damn armor and B, the quick hack doesn’t mean a lot to the likes of Tracer with its broken LoS and the fact that Tracer can one clip Sombra fairly easily.

1 Like

If there is a bunker comp, then absolutely yes. She counters that entire strategy.

See I knew deep down that you and Jessicka were on the same side when it comes down to Sombra being buffed, but you two have different ideas, which may seem like passive tension between you to. I knew it :wink:

Speaking of tension, I am surprise that you don’t recognize me, I used to go by the username BoopHer. I figured to change my name to my gamertag as I love Somvra so much better, so I would love to apologize about how I behave before hand. :sparkling_heart:

I really appreciate the well and organize response as I value those.

I agree, she is this oppressive hero that need little tweaking at a time, which is why I was not a fan of blizzard doing the major buff to Sombra as people were still not
  1. Not used to having a Sombra on their team.
  2. Not used to playing AGAINST a Sombra on the opposing team.
  3. Don’t know how to properly counter a Sombra.
  4. Don’t know to play by Sombra’s Strengths.

The list can go on and on. Overall Sombra is this complex hero, even for me it took a while to figure out what I can and can’t do.

People fail to realize that even before the buffs, she was a Soft-Countered to every hero thanks to an ability that we all grow to ‘love’ Hack.

I agree with you fully, is which is why I made a small QoL change thread.

LINK IS BELOW I will post it at the end of this reply.

She (Sombra) is very oppressive when played right, and that alone is superb frustrating, hint is why I prefer to take baby steps in helping improve her as a hero.

Check it out and please feel free to tell me what you think about it. :purple_heart: it’s minor of course, and many would not see the value in it, but it sure does help.

To me I don’t mind the hack being set on cool-down, if it was my fault, however, what is frustrating as a Sombra player is not that it’s being set on cool-down, but it’s just the fact that we are being revealed by a scratch damage that wasn’t even aim directly at us, and because of that we have to disengage once again to reposition to get that element of surprise again.

I can go on and on about her as I truly value the hero, and I still wreck with her… I just got to a point that I am done trying and just simply burn out with trying to make this hero better.

I just came in terms that she will remain somewhat the same, and we just have to deal with it, not adapt as we already adapt to the changes, but just simply deal with her just being either below average or barley average hero.

1 Like

I picked up Sombra after the buffs, played her a bit before-hand but honestly was so bad, she definitely was a lot better post-buffs, but after her “fixes” I constantly am telepathically hacking people, LOS cancelled for no reason, longer or shorter than set-in-stone times. But even after that I still find her fun and unique, bug removal would be nice tho

1 Like

This. I still wreck plenty of people down get me wrong, as I still find a way to be just a effective with her, but I have to outplay my opponents even more so than playing Tracer and Genji etc.

But she is one unique hero, and I love that about her.

2 Likes

Indeed, but now is harder to make it work because EMP takes a little longer time to build up.