Sombra QoL - give her shield HP, make breaking the shield interrupt hack

15m is when damage falloff kicks in, and maxes at 25m, so anything beyond 20m is useless poke damage unless you’re dumping a clip to eliminate a Pharah who’s literally 1hp.
15m is also the max range of hack, so IMO that’s her most effective range. The reduced spread making more headshots allows you to be a little further than 15m without sacrificing too much damage potential.

This isn’t one of those games, and this game has very little PVE content. You should be punished for walking into the line of fire while invisible. It is the enemy’s choice to waste ammo to spray and pray while attempting to find you, and it is your decision to use Stealth as a repositioning tool instead of Translocator (which grants i-frames). Moving on.

This, combined with the other info in the post I was replying to, is the benchmark for measuring whether Sombra’s kit as a whole is in need of a buff. Sombra’s bullet spread makes her capable of dumping easily 1/3 to 1/2 or greater of a clip into the enemy’s head. If you are incapable of this, play Soldier for more consistent bullets while tracking your opponent. In my opinion, Sombra doesn’t need a buff. People just need to be more clever in how they utilize Sombra’s kit. I was only comparing the effective range + damage potential (when considering falloff damage and bullet spread) of the Machine Pistol to the Pulse Pistols. Of course I know Tracer pumps more bullets per second than Sombra - Tracer uses two pistols!

That was intentional spray, and poor positioning by Sombra. Notice how the ENTIRE TEAM is trying to locate Sombra by spraying the entire objective. This just looks like carpet bombing to me. This isn’t “getting lucky” by any means. This play exemplifies a great way to flush Sombra out of her stealth early, at the cost of needing to reload sooner.

The 20hp Shield life requirement to break a hack makes it so that only hitscan such as Bastion can bust her hack in 1 tap, and leaves little else to reliably stop her unless she’s trying to hack from tactically questionable angles.

This also does not address whether or not this 20 hp Shield life would need to be fully regenerated before you can Hack.

Do not tell me you’ve never hacked something while you had less than full health.

1 Like

Every single game I’ve listed has the flicker in multiplayer.

Every. Single. One.

that seems so hard to code

1 Like

Not really… just give her 20 shields and a 20 point threshold for hack

• Sombra has probably the biggest amount of bugs atm. (OMG PTR!)
  • The 2 second cooldown is unfair (UNFUUUUUUN!!!11!!11! would this forum scream) due to random 0.00…001 damage setting it off.
  • Stealth could use a small damage threshold too, because it’s only just a little better than a movement ability for a flanker to get to positions. Good idea with the flickering on hit - it gives counterplay to GOOD players.

Sombra needs help.

And "NO" screamers like Gunky are why we can't have cool things.
5 Likes

What bugs on the PTR do you speak of? I haven’t noticed Sombra being too buggy other than tapping hack while I’m laggy sometimes results in a successful hack when I didn’t hold the input trigger.
I’m sorry my opinion differs, but that’s the beauty of an open forum! If it’s any consolation, I will happily exploit any buffs Sombra receives :wink:

This only tells me that you are blind on her flaws, don’t want her to become viable, don’t really play her or are just ignorant.

Here, even a few got fixed. We even had a bug that showed friendly hacked health packs as enemy ones.

I’m just ignorant of the newest PTR patch, and of certain bugs relating to Sombra. (I don’t throw translocators off of the map)
Thanks for the info! :hugs:
At the risk of being a little off-topic, I did not know you could hack Symmetra while she was holding her teleporter out. I’ve never tried it nor have I been the victim of it. Does the hack also stop the teleporter while it’s unfolding?

I read the fix on that one, but never personally experienced it.

No. At least it didn’t happen for me.

What?

• Change health assignment. Give 180 health, 20 shield.
  • Create a “shield is on” bool. Have a check run every single tick if that bool is true.
    • if shield health remaining is > 0, then “shield is on” == true
    • if shield health remaining is = 0, then “shield is on” == false
  • Take the current hack channeling code, and insert an if statement;
    • if “shield is on” is true, then continue hack, else activate interrupt.

This comes with a caveat of not being able to activate hack without the shield, but I’m just a rookie programmer. It wouldn’t be hard to make it so that if you have 0 shields, you can still channel without shields until you take damage.

3 Likes

damn u smart :eyes::eyes:

This seems very smart and definitely would fit great with her. Well done.

That’s actually a really nice concept, would help her a lot!

So no more of this?

Crap, i need my translocator to go after Pharah, be right back.

Goes back to get it, cloaks to sprint back to the front… 10 damage out of nowhere… FFFUUUUU—

The health system is pretty complex actually. It tracks and stacks more than one type of health so you can have multiple shield sources and they’re still linked to the source. You can have two shields, three armors, etc. It’s probably already coded to accommodate something like this.

1 Like

I actually suggested this long time ago. It will make her hack a bit more stable and not overpowered in anyway. Another thing they might need to add is forcing Sombra’s hack into the chosen target. For me, this it’s really annoying when you want to hack Rein then end up hacking mercy because of LOS.

I really like this idea too.
Shields and regeneration of them is nothing new to the game and solves the random pellets interruption.
If they fix her bugs and the LoS issue i think Sombra is in good state.
Some people are stating that her damage is too low but i disagree. If you have above 35% acc. you can pretty reliably get kills on healers or other dps. And if not, its not that big of a deal because you are distracting them and building EMP.
One other thing that would be good…hacked enemy’s should show a skull (like the HP) above their head. Maybe the color of the skull can point out if the hero has Ult.

i’d rather just have old sombra tbh

This is good! but blizz won’t want her to be viable so omegalul

2 Likes

pretty much this. Just give us old sombra back with the spread lowered like it is right now. She has pretty much no place in the current meta.