"Sombra is meta because she is being used in the Contenders"

This is ridiculous.

Why is that my fault that I can’t control other people’s actions? So because they created a hero who’s so ridiculously reliant on communication and almost nothing else, that’s my problem that I can’t play my hero?

How is that not their problem with how they designed her? It’s honestly ridiculously unfair to place the blame on us for wanting a hero who can be useful beyond Grandmasters and Contenders, when we can’t control the level of coordination present. If a hero has to have that level of coordination, and the game gives players the options to not coordinate, how is that our fault? Why should we be punished for the game’s overall design in correlation with the hero’s design?

Do you see how ridiculous that is?

BTW even in Contenders, they never used her in finals. They actually wanted to win. They were experimenting.

I’m just shocked at what a terrible notion that is. “It’s your fault for not switching heroes for not meeting this rare criteria for you to play her effectively”

And no, I’m not playing her wrong. I’d just like to have a hero who I can be effective with without it being contingent on other people, and ideally there are ways to do that through QoL buffs (i.e. sugar skulls over hacked targets).

Your vegetarian wanting meat analogy was incredibly off. It’s more like “Vegetarian wants to eat a balanced meal, but is only being provided lettuce and nothing else.”

:expressionless:

6 Likes

“Hey look, I believe Overwatch is a game for ME and when I play I should be able to win without having to communicate with anyone because I’m a special snowflake who don’t need nobody but at the same time I need to win to feel good because that’s the only positive thing I can find on online games even though single player games would probably fulfill me more but you know what? screw everyone who isn’t like me and values communication, I want the world to be shaped to my liking no matter what”

You’re choosing to play a hero in a situation that isn’t ideal; it’s like playing Reaper vs Pharah.

It’s not your fault that she’s not the best pick, but it is your fault for picking her. Trying to shirk responsibility for hero choice with guilt-trips is ridiculous.

You’re changing the analogy to make Sombra sound like she doesn’t even work in her ideal environment, which isn’t the case.

As for the rest of your post, you’re repeating the same thing over and over so I’m not going to quote it.

1 Like

Absolutely not.

I’m complaining about people who claim Sombra is fine because people who play with good communication can use her efficiently. That’s great for them, but in your average QP / comp game, you will have two teammates not in the voice chat, two that are in but don’t say anything and one who keeps telling you to kill yourself. Try achieving anything with Sombra in these conditions.

3 Likes

If that’s how you interpreted it, that’s…:man_shrugging:
I dunno, that’s fair.

Intention behind the analogy is “she needs a bit more” and I don’t mean buffs. For a team-reliant hero to have such dodgy visuals for her team to capitalize on outside of contenders is bizarre. Not to mention her bugs. All I’d ever do is bug fixes and QoL visuals.

And I’ve said this in other threads, one playerbase that uses her a lot doesn’t mean she’s meta. When we see OWL All-Stars, I think it’ll be more indication that she has potential.

5 Likes

Ultimately, it seems as though Blizzard has a different idea of what she should be from many players.

I’m down for visual improvements…

I’m down to adjust playstyles. And I’m very communicative. If they want us to be able to coordinate to their level…I think even GM players are screwed. Visual improvements would just make it easier for people to naturally capitalize on things the way that coordinated teams do, without changing numbers. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

well her infinite stealth does bring a new kind of afk now since you can be near the enemies but not really do anything

2 Likes

Meanwhile, the rest of the roster is able to be completely effective without saying a word.

Sombra: It’s not that we never knew how to play her, it’s that ideal conditions don’t exist outside of top tier levels of pro play.

4 Likes

Oh wow, character who based on creating space for her team REQUIRES COMMUNICATION WITH YOUR TEAM what a surprise.

Sure sombra has huge downsides but now she is actually playable and useful

I actually remember a team coach anonymously saying that Blizzard actually asked players in the league and contenders to play Sombra so she doesn’t seem that bad lol.

“Just because this character works effectively, doesn’t mean they work effectively”

:thinking:

Source? That would be hilarious.

Unlike the rest of the cast. Do some of them have downsides? Sure. Huge downsides? Not even close.

1 Like

I always thought that the sombra buffs were a welcome change. She’s far from being fine, but the changes brought a big space where she can be played in a more useful manner.

I mean, the contenders is a big prove of that. She always relied on communication to be good, but she was never really a good pick in the pro scene. Damn, the new symmetra also relies on communication, but everybody knows his state in the pro scene.

My point is: the fact that the pro teams uses communication as a basic tool, doesn’t make heroes that relies on communication automatically good up there. Sombra is being “meta” in contenders because she’s more useful than ever.

And again: she’s not the finest hero in the game. She’s far from it. But i do think that most of the Sombra mains were really conservatives about the changes and underestimated them very hard.

she has a 55.5% winrate in gm
a 55.61% winrate in masters
a 51.27% winrate in diamond

so it really is just plat an below, and there will always be heroes who are bad in low tiers or bad in high tiers

you can’t have every hero be as viable as everywhere else. unless you want them to have no skill involved at all, which btw. is a major whining point on the forums

so you can’t have both heroes who need skill and/or teamwork and heroes who are great in every tier

(and funny enough roadhog winston mccree and tracer have lower winrates than her in plat, not sure people would consider those “autolosses”

and “OP” widowmaker has a 0.4% points higher winrate than sombra in plat too, both still below 50%)

so conclusion: meta is not meta, there are different metas for different tiers of overwatch, and below diamond or maybe plat meta never really mattered anyways. and yes sombra is meta since she wins a lot of games in the higher tiers.

1 Like

people underestimate Nu- Sombra, people are slaves to reliability, and Sombra is a boom or bust wildcard.

this is why whenever I see a Sombra in our team even though my instincs are suspect- since I know what the potential for game winning EMP is, I am less nurveous than I otherwise would be with other wildcard heroes.

To be fair the latest patch does benefit Sombra so it will be interesting to see where she lands in a week or 2. Lucio and Ana buffs mean less Mercy who Sombra has a harder time against. Hammond is here who Sombra counters. Hanzo and Widow are nerfed, two heroes Sombra struggles against which also provides more options in the DPS slot.

You seem really pissed and irritated. Take a breather, man.
Being effective on contenders doesn’t mean not effective in general, btw.

It doesnt prove anything, But is there any better theory she is used better than Coordination? The enemies being hacked would also be very coordinated. Is she really useful in certain situations enough?