Sombra bottom-tier again

I don’t mean to start any unnecessary altercations or any accusations towards anyone, but the fact that Sombra is bottom-tier again is something that really bothers me. One of the main things that I’d like to say is that many players of the Overwatch community are quick to claim a hero is OP when a hero is buffed or when a new hero is released, whether or not they are actually are.

Let’s first make some explanation on Sombra’s journey in the past few months. She received buffs that focused on trying to make her kit more reliant on her hacking and less on her acting as an EMP bot.
They were:

• EMP (no longer blocked by small objects)
  • Hack (health packs no longer give ult charge, reduced from .8 to .65, disabled more abilities, like Genji’s climb)
  • Machine pistol (spread reduced from 3.0 to 2.7)
  • Enemy health bars visible when health drops below 100%
  • Translocator (length increased from 15 to 20 sec)

Now, whether Sombra was actually OP or not when she got buffed (which, in my opinion, I don’t think she was), the fact that so many people were quick to claim Sombra was OP was, to me, simple-minded and just plainly annoying and aggravating. Most people, when I observe people play OW after a hero is buffed/released, hardly take the time to consider or understand that they need to get used to buffed/released heroes, where they instead complain that a hero is OP when that buffed/released hero kills them. Here’s the thing: just because a hero is buffed, or a new hero is released, that kills you, does not mean that they are OP. I find it frustrating that many players don’t consider that,

• maybe you just happened to lose the duel
  • you need to get used/adjust to the hero before you make claims that a hero is OP

When it comes to this mentality of “this hero is OP,” I think it is especially more common when it comes to off-meta heroes. Sombra was always bottom-tier, yet when she was suddenly buffed, many were not used to seeing an off-meta hero finally get a stable and solid position, and thus believed she was unnecessarily powerful. In addition, given that Sombra was often depicted as a support hero and EMP bot, many people, in my eyes, were less concerned/annoyed with pre-buff Sombra killing someone because she was not depicted as an offensive hero. Now that she got into a position where she was explicitly depicted as an opportunist, assassin, and offensive hero, many players were not used to that and thus saw Sombra as OP whenever she successfully killed someone. Yeah, I get that she got her machine pistol buffed, but that does not completely justify many people claiming OPness.

Because many people claimed that Sombra was OP, she eventually received some nerfs, which included:

• Hack (goes on cooldown for 2 sec if interrupted, more easily is interrupted when target breaks line of sight)

Obviously, this made me annoyed, as I believed they were not necessary. The nerfs, I believe, resulted mainly from players who merely complained from Sombra’s “OPness” and that they died from post-buff Sombra. Many players in the OW community lack any sort of patience, understanding and humility when it comes to heroes that are buffed/released because:

• they want to justify why they died from a buffed/released hero by claiming that the hero is OP, when it could have merely been from the fact that they just happened to lose the duel
  • do not want certain heroes to be top-tier—mainly off-meta heroes
    and other things.

Now that she had gotten nerfed, her pick and win rate declined again, resulting in her residing in the bottom-tier AGAIN, going against the intention of Sombra’s buff. As of May 7, 2018, her pick rate is now .67% and win rate is now 46.38%, listed in the “last six months” tab on Overbuff. She is only above Bastion and recently released hero Brigitte. And this week (as of May 7, 2018), under the “this week” tab on Overbuff, she is the least picked hero at .53% with a win rate of 44.69%. Although there could be many factors that resulted to her win/pick rate decline (such as the fact that people do not want to play her, people do not want to learn how to play her, difficult hero to learn/play thoroughly and quickly, new meta/other changes, etc.), I believe it is mainly from the nerfs that resulted from people’s complaints. These rates, in my opinion, describe how she really was not OP before those nerfs. Rather, she was fine and the nerfs just put her down, and into bottom-tier again.
Now, Sombra is completely silenced, AGAIN bottom-tier, only to the demands of players who will not cooperate, or unwilling to cooperate, with playing against/with buffed or released heroes.

Sombra’s situation is similar to Bastion’s situation when Bastion was buffed. Of course, Bastion is very situational, but it is same situation where people were quick to claim OP, but look at them now: they’re bottom-tier.

Of course, this was different when Mercy got her rework. I get that that was an example where a hero was OP, given that her pick rate was over 90% and given that she was depicted as a must-pick. I get that at that time nerfs were necessary.

And this is not to say that buffed/released heroes are completely void of being OP. But the fact of the matter is that many OW players are quick to simply call out a buffed/released hero is OP whenever they get killed by that buffed/released hero, or something, whether or not it is actually true. It is honestly very frustrating when an off-meta, bottom-tier hero—Sombra—finally gets love with buffs, but is completely shut down because people complain and claim OPness.

I understand it is Blizzard’s courtesy to listen to players’ feedback and opinions on heroes that buffed/released, but the fact that Sombra was completely shut down and is now bottom-tier AGAIN, should get Blizzard’s attention that some, or a lot, of people’s complaints are mainly from personal annoyances, rather than a hero, like Sombra, somehow becoming completely unstoppable in any way, shape, or form.

Now, when it comes to Brigitte, we will see what happens.

But for Sombra, she was unnecessarily nerfed and put down to the bottom of the heroes, something that the buffs were initially supposed to get her out of.
I hope, in the future, Blizzard will be more careful about thinking whether or not heroes are truly OP.

34 Likes

The only time she wasn’t was before they knee jerked nerfed her. So, 2 weeks?

4 Likes

Honestly this should surprise no one.

The Sombra buffs were WAY overhyped. Blizzard currently has two heros they are “buffing” terribly. Ana and Sombra. Where people screamed “Ana is saved!” as they added a few more points of damage to a healer…

I wish they’d just outright BUFF them properly. It’s clear that this baby step thing is not effective. It’s time to bring out the actual contenders to change their kits.

6 Likes

This is what I was telling people when they buffed her. But no people way overhyped saying she was overpowered when she wasn’t. She’s not a effective damage dealer. Even with a hack she will get out dpsed by any attacker with a gun. Including tracer. Stalled out until hack is gone by the tanks. And her half the supports can hop to safety or hop period to make her gun not that great because of its spread. Other dps can do thier thing and stand a good chance killing most of the hero roster. Sombra can’t consistently do that. And just takes up a damage dealer slot. She needs people to follow up on her hacks as compared to heroes that will secure the kill themselves.
She still needs to be looked at.

2 Likes

The thing that annoyed me the most was that Sombra’s hack buff and SMG buff made it to live by accident about a month before the real patch arrived.

Nearly every single person said “this is fine, put it on live”. Two weeks after it went live, “Sombra is OP, can hack me through walls, shields, across time zones, through the map, through the payload, in alternate dimensions, please nerf immediately”.

Where were all you people when it was being tested in live games?

17 Likes

Times like this, I wish Blizzard just completely ignored any feedback and balanced around stats alone.

1 Like

Sombra isn’t really bad. She’s very very hard to play because she requires planning ahead and keeping track of teammates at all times. And that is requirements most players won’t bother to attempt at fufilling. The only problem she has atm is her bugs.

2 Likes

i agree with what your saying. but in my honest opinion i think sombra is fine right now, maybe even better than most. with brigitte and lots of tanky comps coming into play, sombra could be better than ever in this new meta. she could kill their support leaving this team comp with no sustain. or hack their barriers. the possibilities are endless. and i dont believe the 2 second hack nerf was all that much of a nerf to begin with.

1 Like

the ana buffs can fix 2 of anas main problems. her shots being blocked. and her having to reload.

The new META also makes her pretty much useless.

To me, that’s just more of the “well now you can 3 shot pharah”. Okay, I can 3 shot pharah now… now what?

It just is too little and doesn’t address Ana’s core problems at all.

In OWL, Sombra has the same win rate as she does on live right now. The pro teams have better communication, but they still get the same results as random teams in comp.

4 Likes

That’s because those same pros are also coordinated enough to dodge big EMPs. Sombra can hit 3-4 people but if the Zen is untouched, he can just Trans. If you do hit the Zen then the Mercy will be there instantly to pocket him and possibly also a D.va if she wasn’t hit.

1 Like

i dont understand what you mean. anas problems go as.

1.being harder to play and not getting as much value as the other healers.
2.bad self healing
3. shots being blocked
4. having to reload

or atleast that is what i have noticed. other than that ana is a good pick. and i bet if they made a better self heal for ana she would finally be a good pick again.

I made a post of ways that to help slowly improve her as a hero.

2 Likes

But I agree, It’s just sad for use Sombra’s main/ user.

Your point being? What is that winrate if I may ask?

I don’t think there’s much wrong with Sombra’s changes - side for the ult charge with HP, if an ally or you use it then it should be healing charge. But I think her pickrate is more down to people being reluctant to learn how to use her

it’s a shame because if used well she can be deadly, and trounces on the heroes the forums call OP. Her winrate is still an admirable 44% in comp so it’s not like she’s a terrible pick, just more a support dps than a flat-out front-line dps

Sad that my most favorite two heroes both get neglected in this game. Considering I put so much work into them. Feels great man.

They counter hard core game mechanics so nobody wants them to be good. Because they bring counter play to the table of people’s habits like pocket healing somebody or overly reliant and confident on using their abilites.

Sombra and Ana counter these types of strates and nobody likes that thus meaning if we keep these two down we never have to really worry about counter play.

2 Likes

Isn’t the hack cooldown only if it’s interrupted by damage? (Sorry if I missed this part) and I don’t find her bad. I actually want to play her more in comp because I swear, every time I’m solo healing, someone asks if someone can play Sombra and the other dps is like “I don’t play her but I’ll try” then they put their translocator in spawn, get their ult, use it after everyone dies and them flames the team.

I see how people find it hard to find hack openings but I’d stay with the Rein and wait for brigitte to bash him then hack her. Shes everywhere and hack paired with a discord is pretty good.