[Solved] Game freezes at main menu screen (after logging in) after May 3rd patch (just exit Overwolf - solved by Blizzard in the meantime)

Good day,

I have an ASUS ROG Strix GL503 gaming laptop and it has a Gefore GTX 1070 graphics card.

Overwatch worked perfectly fine with no issues before the May3rd 2018 patch. After that patch, it goes passed the log-in screen but, when its about to show the Main Menu screen, it freezes.
It does not load the model (usually it shows the model of a hero, but now I am guessing it shows the new map) but does play the menu music. No assets are loaded and the game completely freezes.

I restated the PC and the game multiple times with no success.
I tried deleting the cache, patching and fixing the game, starting in windowed mode, changing nvidia settings etc. and nothing helped. There is a problem loading those assets (in the main menu) on my system.

I have the latest drivers and, again, it worked perfectly before the patch. I checked the Event Viewer (my OS is WIndows 10 x64) and, among other problems, here is what I see
The Open Procedure for service “WmiApRpl” in DLL “C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiaprpl.dll” failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

Update: After exiting overwolf it worked fine!

4 Likes

Exactly the same here.
I tried to reinstall, same problem, check and repear, same issue, reboot ; same issue…
All was fine before the patch.

1 Like

Same issues, tried scan & repair and reinstalling my gpu drivers with no luck. I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB graphics card. Pls send help.

same thing for me…i hear music but thats it, cant do anything…have to reboot my pc to get back in windows

MSI 1070 Ti

same here NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070. I hear music only.
First start only saw the background picture. Second start I saw the menu, but no Icon picture. After scan and repair I saw menu and my account name with picture.

But all time the game freeze. Can´t close the game. Only possible to get out with logoff or shutdown

2 Likes

Exact same thing here… NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 TI

Same issue here on a Razer Blade. I wonder if it is Nvidia related?

I have a friend who has GTX 970 and it works just fine for him (loads without issues, can see the main menu art just fine). Major difference is that he has a PC (not a laptop).

Same here. GTX 1060 6gig, i7700.

I had same problem. i uninstalled overwolf and it works fine now

1 Like

i thought it was overwolf! Ill take it off now.

thanks for the idea

1 Like

Problem was overwolf for me as well. Thanks for the info!

Yes Overwolf was in my case the cause too. Closing the program is enough. Uninstall not necessary

I can confirm as well, overwolf is the issue, just remove it and the game will work.

Confirmed! It is overwolf.
You don’t have to uninstall overwolf. Just Right Click the icon in the task bar, click exit, click play overwatch.

Out love for HS might have been our undoing, but it was not. Thanks a million mate!

Hey there guys,

My name is Or Manor from the Overwolf support team… I’m here first of all to say sorry.

I wanted to let you know that we are aware of this bug and we are glad to report that we fixed it already.

As for now, you will not see Overwolf’s game summary after your Overwatch game session as a result of this technical problem.

We are sorry, we promise to learn from our mistakes and provide the best gaming experience as we can,
Or Manor (LEOkonami)

3 Likes

No problem. If it had been an innate game bug that would have been more serious.
However, this was the case of an add-on behaving strangely. Not necessarily game braking functionality.

However, I see that since then, it has been fixed :smiley: Kudos

However, even without Overwolf, the game tends to crash after recent patch, so there must be something else gone wrong. I hope Blizzard will find the bugs soon.

same even witouth overwolf, the game still freeze after log in