Solutions for 32:9 Monitors?

Hello,

I’m one of these guys who bought a 32:9 monitor screen and i discover that Overwatch is not fitting the whole screen, even in 21:9 aspect ratio (which makes sens i guess).
my only question is : What is the solution for us, the people who have a 32:9 screen ?
For example, i would be okay to be in 21:9 and stretch the picture to 32:9 (so not the original picture) but i don’t even know how to do that.

i guess it’s in the Nvidia Panel (for Nvidia’s Owner) but i don’t even know what to edit.

can someone help me and…help the future us who will have the same request ?

thank you.

Can you define a custom resolution at 32:9 aspect ratio in the Nvidia control panel, then select that in game?

There is no support for ultrawide in this game (or anything other than 16:9 as far as I know). People have been complaining and asking for the devs to reconsider for years but they don’t care.

You’ll have to play with black borders or an ugly zoomed in images that cuts off part of the top and bottom of the screen. I do the former. The latter looks awful, hurts the eyes, and puts you at a huge disadvantage in game.

2 Likes

In my opinion, the best option is to accept the black bars and play at 16:9. Otherwise they crop the image to fit 21:9 and 32:9 screens.

In the NVIDIA control panel you can choose how different aspect ratios and resolutions scale to your monitor. I’d recommend choosing the letterbox or scale-to-fit option (black bars on the sides). You’ll ultimately be using only the middle half of your monitor to play.

there is a 21:9 aspect ratio option in Overwatch since a moment now… but you mean that even this option is cropping the picture ??

ok i will stay with my black bars on the sides.

thank you all.

Yes. It basically just does a zoom fit of a 16:9 image so it cuts off the top/bottom of the screen.

Yes it zooms and cuts of the image, similar to 4:3 movies…
Its for fairness sake as wider resolutions would see more letting you react sooner.

The horizontal field of view is unchanged, it just reduces the vertical FOV to make it fit the 21:9 aspect ratio. Which is just awful. You just have a worse view of the game world.

Maybe the devs made the right decision in 2016, but it’s 2019 now, ultrawide monitors are much more widely available, they are not more a super rare unfair advantage than 16:9 monitors were a super rare unfair advantage for TF2 in 2009, which is when that game properly supported wider horizontal aspect ratios.

Sadly there is nothing we can do about it I think. I used to play Overwatch casually back in the day but after got this Samsung C49HG90 monitor I stopped playing it. Personally I can’t stand playing with black bars both sides of the screen, it look’s really stupid and bad. Because of this none of my friends play it either anymore, it’s team game after all. Atleast we have many other good fps games to play with good resolution support. :slight_smile:

Edit. Blizzard should realize that with things like this they are just digging their own grave. Especially in 2019 when ultrawide/super ultrawide popularity is growing all the time, they are losing players from Overwatch more and more as time goes… everyday.

1 Like

Overwatch only supports 16:9 anything else it will either squash the screen or cut away parts of it

1 Like