Solution for leavers

you know how leavers in comp games are a thing and typically ruin matches for everyone involved yeah they’re a problem… but i have a genius solution, why dont we just make the leaving and joining system work like a normal fps game. if someone leaves, nothing happens and another person takes their place, and the leaver? they just go on with their salty day no questions asked. i think the reason leavers are a problem in the first place is how blizzard designed competitive, like your forced to play in a match, and if you leave early enough the match auto ends, and if not your team is forced to fight a 5v6. like that is a poorly designed and flawed system, the solution is just to allow people to join and leave matches normally. like why hasn’t this been done yet?

Presumably you’re talking about Comp as a similar thing happens in QP.

I’m all for a checkbox to enable backfill in comp, the tricky thing is how to award SR. Perhaps if the game lasts less than 5 minutes you don’t lose SR, or it’s a sliding scale of how much SR you can possibly lose that depends on the length of the game but still enable full gains for a win to give an incentive to select the option.

Havin said all this, it’s still unlikely that there’s gonna be someone wanting to play a game that has the right SR (within a reasonable margin) of the player who left… As such, this may be the reason why they don’t bother developing a feature such as this and instead rely on punishments for repeat offenders. Perhaps making it much harder to have multiple accounts would be a better encouragement to make sure you fully commit to playing the match out to completion like in Korea (though not so extreme as linking your personal ID to a game account…)

i mean yeah but like, just doing it like a normal game would fix so many problems with comp the pros out weigh the cons, like sure there’s some issues that need to be addressed but otherwise its a sound solution. it would make comp way less toxic and stressful.

I have addressed the concept of having backfill many times in Competitive Play. Some forum users don’t agree with me, but I have done a lot of asking Blizzard about this a long time ago and there was once a forum post on this in the early days of Season 1 (the old forums are now permanently offline). However backfill is not a viable option for Competitive because it is Competitive.

When you pair up with 11 other players, that is suppose to be the most fair match available in the matchmaking pool for all of you. Now when a person leaves, it negatively affects the team of that leaver. However having a backfill is potenially worse for both teams. A backfill could very well carry the match and win it for the team that had the leaver, making the original fairness of the original pairing no longer fair for the team without the leaver.

The game also knows some players simply disconnect or have a small technical issue and can return to the game and allows them to do so without penalty (if it is not in the starting minute). A leaver in the starting minute, triggers a cancellation because at that point the game knows it is more fair for the remaining 11 players to not risk playing an unbalanced match, however after a minute it is more fair to the majority team who does not have a leaver to not have their time wasted. Scott Mercer confirmed this back in 2016.

Now, I do believe leavers have had more of an impact since role queue has come in. Backfill is not the answer, but I think slightly stronger actions that deter leavers from trying to requeue right away are. I have started a seperate thread a while back that tackles this issue:

Maybe you only gain 1/2 SR when u win, but nothing happens when u lose. Ofc that would cause lots of problems. Just trying to be creative here!

The problem with a “no risk but reward” system is that it would cause MMR inflation over time.

2 Likes

Right, but if it found players that were in an appropriate ballpark for SR and put them in the match would then be “even”. I’m sure the current algorithm has a significant amount of wiggle room.

It doesn’t have to be consequence free, but it would probably have to be for a least a little bit. These sort of things could be adjusted as need be regardless, and the limited number of people who are boosted by be leveled out it in a unsustainable bracket.

This is the way to fix the leaver problem.

• Leave the leaver penalty as is. Meaning that if you leave the game during a competitive match and dont come back in the set amount of time then you will lose 50 sr, and if you do it enough times during the season you will be banned for that season.
  • Let people waiting in Q to come in and fill for the leaver.
  • People that come in to fill DO NOT lose SR if the game ends up in a lose (for their troubles of coming in and filling). They do win SR and Comp points if they end up winning. This will make people try to win even though they came in and filled. The rewards could be full SR and comp points for a win or a %, like 50% of the rewards as if you had played the whole game. (again these numbers can be tweaked. Its the idea that counts).
  • If the only complaint about this system is that people wont want to participate for whatever reason (even though they wont lose rank/SR) then there could be an option before you Q to fill in for leavers or to not participate.

I think this is a solid system that could work with little to no downsides. At least its better than what we have now.

I get it, you want the game to be run nicely and stuff yeah.
But like, for the greater good of the game this is needed. No SR would be awarded and you wouldn’t lose SR.

So you want the game to be run fairly? There is still a matchmaking system, so you backfill players who were a very very similar skill level as you.

Leavers ruin games, MANY games, a little bit of change in people who play the match is much worse than a leaver, you say it’s unfair for different people to join the match? What about when it’s 5v6? How is that not unfair?

Wyoming is right about this, it would cause an inflation in SR, no risk but reward would be super broken.

I’d rather just leave it so there’s no sr reward, maybe some endorsement levels or lootboxes could work tho.

How would it be an inflation of SR?
You would have no control or power over you coming in to fill.
You would be randomly chosen from a pool a players waiting in the rare times in a game a person has left. And people will still not be leaving left and right because you still get the penalty for leaving.
It would be random and people leaving doesn’t happen as often as people think.
Like I said in my post you can make it so you only get 50% of the SR gains or whatever.
You would have absolutely no control in only playing filling games as to not lose SR.

That means if you get lucky, you could get backfilled into a bunch of matches that you win, and if you lose a few, well that doesn’t matter.

Super “Easy”.

Ban them via Console&PC hardware.

Oh you leave a match on your “CONSOLE”. The hardware eat 30 minutes BAN

Oh you leave a match on your “PC” same as above

Imagine being a dps. Waiting 15minutes in que. You get put as a backfill to a game where someone ragequit 10seconds before the game ended. If it ever comes, IT HAS TO BE OPTIONAL.

i mean, adding backfill really doesn’t affect the competitive nature of comp and fixes one of comps biggest problems, so i see it as an absolute win.

remember the worst leaving situation is when it says “defeat” the INSTANT you join?

i just got one that said “play of the game”…how the heck are you letting in players when the game is already over?? can you insult anymore with a defeat you can’t avoid lol

1 Like

simple solution, after a certain point in a match no one can join anymore.

If I queue for comp, I don’t want to come in to fill a leavers spot. Most of the time a player leaves when his/her team is losing. I don’t want to join a losing match.

ok fair enough but honestly if i have a leaver having someone fill his/her roll is just better then being forced into a 5v6 for the rest of the match.