Soldier 76 is gay?

i would say they were implying that he cared about the guy, but you can care about others (as in family and friends). just because soldier cared for the guy does not mean he is gay/BI. Now the community may take its seat and let this lore die and let those who want him gay to believe he is gay and those who want to believe that he is straight believe that he is straight.

I’m done folks. Obviously there’s nothing wrong with that, but where did that come from???

He already had people he was fighting for. We knew his backstory before that xmas comic came out.

1 Like

I really feel like we’re in denial if we don’t think the short story is heavily hinting that Jack is gay, or at least bi. Even Ana makes a comment about “you still have a candle going for him?” or something along those lines.

2 Likes

I mean it was basically explicitly said, no?

Ana asked if he still had a candle for him, then 76 goes on to say Vincent married another man is happy and living a life Jack knew he couldn’t give him. He’s happy for Vincent, but also sad because he didn’t get to have a family like Gabe and Ana. It then goes on to have Ana touching her finger where her ring was drawing the strong allusion that 76 wanted to marry/stay with Vincent, but chose Overwatch instead. He also carries around a photo of the guy, and it also implies the photo he was looking at in the old Christmas comic was also this same man.

Either way the community will do what it wants, but Chu also said around Tracer’s comic and relationship with her woman, that there was another LGBT character that hadn’t been revealed. And it fits that it is Jack from this story and images.

1 Like

to light a candle can also be used to imply that someone has died as well. i personally did not read the short but from what i can gather from the evidence i have heard, its all quite vague and he could be straight/gay. I think it would be great to leave it up to personal interpretation based on the individuals beliefs and views.

You cannot draw a conclusion if you haven’t even taken 15 minutes to read the thing, lol.

That’s so asinine. Why are you even participating in this then?

2 Likes

i think you are mixing concepts here, pastors liking kids? is that soldier 76? but im listening, who?
see how it seems, blizzard/the devs just taking advantage of this specific revelation.
but regarding me, a member of lgbt community, its ok. jeff and the entire staff could be gay or not for all i care. i don’t even care about my representation unless its actually implemented naturally (in this specific case, its the character, not the way. the story doesn’t build for it, it makes it looked pathetically forced). im kind of ashamed of it if its going to be just for publicity and for the benefit of their own interests.
common, everyone get on the lgbt wagon because of ulterior motives…it would have worked if it was at least relevant to the plot (and im telling you, the thing we hate the most is making this things topic of discussion, which they did by putting that conversation in there. we just want it to be normal as someone breathing…) otherwise just wait to make another character lgbt in an organic way, so people dont have the excuse to make it a drama…

why are we resorting to insults?

I’m not insulting you. I’m saying it’s silly to be drawing conclusions about something you haven’t even read.

Here: https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/gallery/rk/RK25WEUAJIPO1546649730105.pdf

It’s heavy denial or lack of understanding of English if the person’s first language isn’t English.

“keeping a candle lit for him” “He got married, they’re very happy, I’m happy for him” “deserved a happier life than the one I could give him” “relationships don’t work out so well for us do they” “At least you and Gabe managed to have families”.

Those things aren’t said about just a platonic friend. The context is glaringly obvious.

Light a candle or keep a candle lit is more about hope for someone. In a relationship context keeping a candle lit means that you have hope you can return to the relationship. That’s also not the only thing that was said.

3 Likes

it was obvious soldier was gay cuz he had a big booty lmao

2 Likes

But it was already sort of hinted in the Christmas comic, and Chu said there was another LGBT hero already in game around Tracer’s comic that showed her relationship. Nothing will ever not be a big drama and that makes it feel forced because people flood the forums complaining about it. Look at when Tracer had her relationship established, this is just a repeat of that.

I’m a gay dude too and I like having LGBT characters in stuff I play, but it’s always an issue for people because they want to make it an issue. If something’s been implied before (Christmas comic) and its fully discussed later (short story now) its not been forced, people just ignored it or thought the comic frame was a throwaway one-off, when it apparently wasn’t.

4 Likes

You asked

I answered. I’m saying there have been well documented cases of conservative leaders(both political and spiritual) being revealed as gay even though it goes against their ideology. Some of them so conservative they spoke out against gay rights and ended up being exposed as massive hypocrites. It’s not a stretch whatsoever. Neither is gay military men, see “Don’t ask, don’t tell”.

2 Likes

I have met some conservative gays. Trust me they can be surprising xD. Some people you’d never know thats why Don’t Ask Dont Tell. Alot of people are surprised to find out Im gay in my life. It’s not so shocking imo, I suspected Soldier may have been interested in men since the christmas comic. He had a similar photo then and this is the confirmation.

3 Likes

lmfao i’m so done. 20 char

I gotta say, this is perfect.

This is just the sort of thing I’d expect with Soldier 76’s back story, it’s just the right kind of personal tragedy and fits with his personal… I don’t know the word, the determination to do what he thinks is right and damn what anyone else thinks. Soldier 76 is least like the sort of person to deny any gay feelings he had and he’d be true to what he believed in.

And before you say “it’s the future, no one would ever attempt anti-gay jibes to undermine someone’s influence” are you kidding me?

It only fails if you refuse to see Soldier 76 as an individual but instead see him as nothing but a token, a representative of soldiers in general.

This isn’t a PSA, we may be used to stories where we’re talked to like children and “this woman here represents all women, and that person represents all other human beings who are the same race as him, what they do and happens to them is an allegory for what’s they typically do and what is generally done to their race/gender and what.”

That’s a familiar kind of storytelling. Or at least, a familiar way of seeing stories.

But it leads to an extremely narrow understanding of stories to see characters as allegories for social-categories rather than individuals where what really matters is what kind of beings they are.

1 Like

How to get people talking about Overwatch again, I’m glad they didn’t choose Genji though

the bisexual erasure is strong

My favorite part was when Ana was like “You know, you could’ve had Gabe spy on your old boyfriend.” like that’s a normal thing people do.