Soldier 76 BBQ highlight intro removed?

White guy frying a piece of meat… How is it not? :woman_shrugging: :thinking:

5 Likes

God, that looks delicious…

1 Like

Yeah some people are dumb enough to think that, that’s true… :roll_eyes:

The story is Soldier: 76 is eating his lover he murdered to hide the evidence. A real horror story…

4 Likes

How long until Mercy is turned into a fruit bowl?

Dude, imagine a little fruit bowl with wings flying at you and healing you. Terrifying.

1 Like

His lover was a bovine? I think that’s a bigger story here

1 Like

It only looks that way… he’s skilled in carving. Ribs anyone?

I would be interested to know what happens with this test. You could play a round of Junkenstein for a quick way to get a Soldier intro. The result might give insight into the nature of the bug.

1 Like

Oh, that’s what happened! My friend got potg as soldier but soldier wasn’t there it was just a shot of the map’s background. He must have had that intro equipped.

5 Likes

I can’t believe Aaron Keller tried to take my steak away from me. :pensive:

2 Likes

Oh speaking of my good friend, there he is :slight_smile:

I guess no more bbq for you :frowning:

2 Likes

Interesting. So it’s not just an issue with the hero gallery menu then. Either the actual highlight intro asset was removed for some reason, or something is preventing it from being loaded both in the hero gallery menu and the highlight system.

I think it was a random intro playing.

You and I both know there are some people out there…

My whole thing as a software developer- do they not use git? Did they not see a listing for for 76 would be changed?

What kind of spaghetti code are they working with?

2 Likes

I can’t lie… I, too, thought it was quietly removed due to someone being offended by something. Maybe the beer? Maybe the fact that he’s eating meat?

Did this yesterday. It shows the camera angle of the default highlight intro but your character doesn’t appear. Just shows the name like it would a normal highlight, but your character does not appear, nor does the camera move.

As someone (sarcastically) said in the game when it occurred, “best highlight intro ever”

2 Likes

In case it’s helpful to your investigation:

I have an account that had this highlight intro equipped, and as others have said, it now shows as nothing being equipped in the hero gallery. I played a game as soldier to generate a highlight, and I can confirm that no intro animation loads. It just shows the map background in a static camera view and plays the music.

So, this does not appear to be an issue that is limited to the hero gallery. Something seems to be preventing the asset from being loaded entirely.

1 Like

There’s no way the specific hero gallery list is source-controlled so that it would show up so obviously in a git diff. That would mean that they have to manually add every new cosmetic to the hero gallery in-code, which would be a terrible use of dev resources.

The sane way to build it would be for the Hero Gallery to be ignorant of any of the specific cosmetics and simply operate on them as a collection of data with various metadata attributes that determine ordering, rarity, event-affiliation, whether it should be visible if it’s not unlocked, etc. It’s possible that those static assets and metadata are version-controlled separately, and even if they are not, it may not be obvious from a diff what impact a change might have on the hero gallery.

Given that the highlight intro appears neither in the hero gallery nor actual highlights, it seems to me that the issue is that something is preventing the asset and its metadata from loading entirely. Maybe something got corrupted during the build. Maybe there was a behind-the-scenes refactor and this cosmetic got missed in a find/replace. We can’t know for sure, but I’m pretty confident that the issue does not boil down to someone failing to notice that Soldier had one fewer highlight intro in some hard-coded hero gallery entries code file.

Are you suggesting that you’ve worked on a system that’s 8+ years old, running as a live production service for nearly 6 years, that wasn’t full of spaghetti piles? If so, I don’t believe you.

i was here before the vegan hord arrive

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this is related to the no pog intro bug.

I had potg and the screen only had the background. No heroes on it at all. I guess I know now because I had the bbq intro set and it didn’t exist anymore