Soft Role que, as oppose to a strict role que

There has been a lot of discussion about a role que and obviously that might be bad for the game when it comes to comp building.

If blizz forces a 222 set up then cool comps like triple tank or goats and many different comps will instantly become effectively banned.

So one suggestion might be a soft role que where you select 3 heroes you “prefer” to play then that could be matched up against other people who want to “prefer” over roles to get closer to a 222 comp with the flexibility to go goats if you want.

If someone has a hero preference of genji, doom, tracer they might be matched up with another player who has a hero preference of wreckingball, winston, dva or something.

Also you can choose different preferences based on what you want to practice on as well each day or between games. It would just be better than the current system of… oh 3 dps lock in, i guess I have to fill again…

It’s a good idea in theory, but in practice it would be hugely abused. You know all of the insta-locking never swapping DPS mains would queue up as a tank to get faster matchmaking, reports be damned this is a smurf anyways lul.

1 Like

agreed it can be abused. BUT it is just a way to direct the matchmaker to form a group of people with different roles together. If you said “ILL TANK” and the other guy says “ILL DPS” then its all good.

If you said “ILL DPS” and all 5 other people lock in DPS then its still the same as it is now. There will be a reduction in total games where you don’t get to play the heroes you want.

Obviously DPS would have slightly longer que times BUUUUTTTT im sure many people (and even the people auto locking widow) would agree that waiting 1 min longer for a match is better than getting the whole team locked filled with sniper insta lockers the entire round.

There, fixed it for you.

You’re forgetting that for every DPS only insta-locker out there, there is also a player who would prefer to play DPS but flexes because they’re a good person. They would also join the DPS queue.

Funny people think there are tonnes of dps mains, when I as a support main get 3-4 support mains in 75%+ of my matches.

Statistically that is a fact, I measured this over a month a few seasons ago and it’s no different now.

I’m so happy the few times I get 3 dps mains.

It’s gotten so bad, I only solo queue maybe 10 matches a week and team up the rest maybe 30 matches or so. Solo queue is just a mess.

We DESPERATELY need role queue.

DPS was purely an example. I main tank and healer as well but I just wish there was a way to guide the matchmaker to put me with dps mains that can actually play.

Nah, the community has proven itself largely incapable of playing the game the way it is meant to be played. People just don’t care, they’ll do whatever they want and where their is a system to abuse they will abuse it so that it fits their goals. Overwatch isn’t even played properly until around 3200, and even then there is some issues sometimes. Keep in mind I say this and I’m on console, can’t speak for pc users. A forced 2 2 2 is fine with me.

But I think blizzard REALLY does not want to force a 222 so guiding the match maker to put people with each other who has a preference for 222 and which role each person wants to play would be better.

In theory, your idea isn’t bad, but I’m telling you the community as a whole won’t interact with it the way you would like them too. Sure, there are good people out there who don’t want to mess it up for themselves and others but it’s few and far between unfortunately. I don’t “WANT” them to force 2-2-2 either, but the reality is it’s needed.

the que times would not be extremely long for dps since it would be intended as only a “soft” guide hence the “soft” role que. If the matchmaker cant find a game in a set amount of time it will just default onto the current system.

The aim would be to minimize the frustrations more than anything else. Giving people a little more control over which players they might encounter rather than just dice rolling the entire time.