So y'all stop playing your alts when role queue arrives, right?

Well it’s not HERO SR so there’s still some use for it. There’s no way in hell I’m playing on Zarya or Tracer on my main because I’m super garbage with them. But they’ll certainly be less used.

This thought is great, but the those player will tryhard until 25 and for 10 placement games. When they are inevitably placed around the same place, the account becomes a throw account. I hear it all the time: “this is my alt. I don’t care.”

Most, and I mean most, games I play have alt accounts, so they affect my SR. I have already discussed my rank, though.

I only have this account. Never needed more soo yay.

People say, “this is my alt, I don’t care” as a response to some silly request they get.

On the PTR playing with my buddy who’s over 4K+ and listening to people talk smack about his picks prior to the game… so ungodly funny and makes you realize how many people have no real understanding of the game.

I can turn all my accounts into mid diamond and I can’t pass 3.3K. I’m doing something wrong, and I need to figure it out. I have brought accounts up from Silver to Diamond. I have brought low plat accounts up to diamond in 1 sitting. During those games, I have had leavers, alts, and diamond borders during the game. I honestly cannot tell you the diamond borders are less toxic, or play better. In a lot of cases, they are the ones that have picked a play style, and refuse to do anything that goes against it.

Your SR is 100% in your control. There are bumps in the road. There are issues that prevent you from moving up maybe in a day. That said, over a week, or a month, over a season, you will end up in your true SR if you play your main heroes. If you play your off heroes by flexing, you will be lowering your chance of winning and losing SR over time.

The people you’re facing on the other team, the more of them that flex and lower their SR, then hop on their mains, they are actually under rated for THAT specific hero. You will have a harder time winning now that they are on their main.

If anything, people playing and flexing on their MAIN accounts are more of a problem then someone playing a specific hero on an alt. Role lock based SR will help that, but the problem still exists. Hitscan going projectile. Off tank going main tank. Main heals switching to off heals. All changes their level of impact on the game. Thus, you have a range of SR you play in, your Peak, and where you bottom out (your low SR).

1 Like

Ill still use my alts :slight_smile: on my main ill try hard for all roles and on my other accounts ill use here’s I don’t normally use

Trolls / throwers are smurfs, Alt Accounts are people playing the game like it’s supposed to be played on something other than their main account. Using the two terms interchangeably leads to confusion, frustration, and problems.

Seagull and Jeff Kaplan are hopeful that genuine alt accounts created for preserving the SR of their main role will be less frequent with the separate SRs from Role Queue. It won’t go away completely, but it is very likely to be reduced.

Do you really think your baptiste, your Mercy and your Ana deserve the same SR? Ana is pretty meta so maybe you’ll feel like learning Ana at one point. Would you really do it on the same account you one-trick Baptiste?

This was the number one excuse.
The true reason most used alts wasn’t so they didn’t drop, but so they could be their naturally toxic selves w/o proper repercussions. So I don’t think alt usage is going to drop too much.

First off… lol. Several months ago, Seagull was the FIRST person bashing the game, stating the game was dead and broken, calling Jeff out. He stopped streaming OW for a while. Now all of a sudden, he’s got Jeff on his streams all the time. Typical “sell-out” scenario. And did you honestly state that Jeff is hopeful alt accounts will be less frequent?? The entire purpose of video games is like anything else with a large market: To separate you from your money. Jeff wants you to buy more accounts. Enjoying your experience is kind of incidental, and it’s only NOW that all of a sudden the dev team is putting resources into changing the experience — because DUN DUN DUN, people complained enough and profit margins were slowly in jeopardy. And… if Blizz has to cut another 800 jobs, how many are going to be left? XD

With QP getting a role queue, it will be easier to practice other heroes in a more structured environment. Players won’t have to practice Moria, Baptiste, and a Lucio with 5 DPS.

You keep posting this as a response to me, and I don’t know why. I agree with you. My disliking of alts has nothing to do with my inability to climb.

Alts affect match quality negatively (and SR to an extent).

I will use one for solo play.

And one to play together with my brother. (also depend on how much my brother will improve. He likes to one trick/ focus (at the moment hammond, before that ana, before that widow and tracer a lot on one hero(high skill level) and is stubborn (even when he got hard countered he stays with it. And so he is mostly only good at a few heroes, now he has to play more) And his game sense is pretty bad: rolls in alone then dies and then asks why he didn’t get any support. He blames me for every unwinnable game (lots of games we loosing i can somehow change to a win, but not all), so he doesn’t play a lot and gets frustrated fast.

And probably play when i feel like i am not playing at my max or warm-up.

Literally every time it was discussed, this was the primary defense. It actually made a little sense when people weren’t throwing.

1 Like

Actually no. I saw plenty of such discussion and in those never that argument felt. So it cannot be every time.

That’s actually a funny one.

Have one account, but thinking about getting a new one so I could deem this one a failure, start over and learn a lot of stuff this game will never tell me by itself which is why I got so terrible in Competitive.

OK sorry about that. My other point here is main accounts actually affect the match quality more than alts do due to flexing heroes.

This point of view is interesting and one I haven’t considered. I feel like you have a solid point. The only counter I can think of is the idea that its still an alt account. Thus, SR isn’t as worrisome because it’s not a main.

The solution would be individual hero SR.

imagine banning people for paying you 20 bucks for a new account, lul. Bad business sense.

Individual hero SR would be awesome for me personally, because I like to work on each hero. But to implement it, you would need to see the map type prior to queuing. Even then, if your off tank goes Zarya, and you go Winston, it makes a weird tank setup. I would just like to see Main roles and off roles have their own SR, and flankers, projectiles, and hitscan have their own SR and queue. SR gets funky when you start doing individual heroes.

Alt and smurfs accounts don’t increase the player base, which means no additional money is accrued for loot boxes, OWL skins, or merchandise. So, if the alt and smurf accounts are bad for the player base, which I think they are, then the $20 dollars is a poor investment because it stops legitimately new players from joining the player base.