So, Wrecking Ball

I think its become the general consensus that Hammond/Wrecking Ball is the most obscure and weird hero currently in Overwatch. A genetically modified hamster from the moon who crash landed in the radiated outback of Australia. He tricked out his escape pod into a four-legged bell-shaped mech with a tether, all made from metal scraps he found laying around. He entered Junkertown’s mech battles and quickly won the champion title. Taking his winnings, he left Australia, in search of adventure.

Cool plot for a hero and whatever, but what lore significance does a hero as obscure as him possess? My best guess is that because he has ties to Winston (they grew up on the moon together) he may reconnect with him and perhaps assist in fighting for the world. But he’s just a hamster looking for fun. Why would he, unless it directly benefits him? I may simply be overthinking this, but I’m struggling to see how this hero could be lore significant.

2 Likes

I can see him joining back to Winston just because he wants to scrap omnics for fun and there would be a plot with him including try and not killing Bastion and Genji. To be honest, i can’t see any plot relevance for Ashe. Generic gang leader who has only ties with McCree who doesn’t even want to join back to Overwatch.

4 Likes

Tbh I want him to stay a chaotic character that does his own thing and pops into the story at random points lmao. Maybe his adventures could eventually lead up to him working with OW in the final battle or whatever, but until then I prefer solo chaos hamster.

3 Likes

He’s only a character because no one found junkrat funny as comic relief, and so funny hamster XD rawr. He could help out in some final battle, though.

Maybe he turned out to be an evil character who joins Talon and becomes the Talon Tank. Unlike Sigma, he’s being used instead of join willingly.

Yes, Hammond and Winston were friends when little but things could just change after many years passed, just like Bruce Wayne (Batman) & Thomas Elliot (the Hush).

If Hammond & Winston were truly friends, why didn’t Winston take Hammond along and escape to the Earth? Why didn’t Hammond just join Winston but secretly follow him?

Hammond neither cares about rampaging gorillas nor the humans being killed by gorillas, but continue doing his thing. Thus, Hammond has no desire for peace.

Throughout mech battles in Junkertown, he enjoyed the violence a lot. He had a lot of violence tendencies, also his elimination quotes like “get wrecked”, “rolled”, etc.
Maybe his ‘adventures’ that he’s trying to seek, is more violence and battles.

1 Like

Probably one of the closest possible characterizations.

My personal guess is, after Junkrat and Roadhog sent in that booby-trapped treasure, the Junker Queen got pissed at the assassination attempt, even if it is (most likely) unsuccessful, and sends Hammond out to ‘deal’ with them.

Hammond searching for ‘adventure’ is basically just shorthand because while he may actually be looking to kill Junkrat and Roadhog, he’s going to enjoy the sights along his globetrotting quest for bloody vengeance.

Hammond already left Junkertown. He doesn’t work for the Queen.

3 Likes

Yes he left but we have no context for the timeline of his departure, or for that matter when exactly Roadhog and Junkrat delivered the bomb.

Also do we know that he doesn’t work for her? Like a Chu tweet or something?

We haven’t been told that he does (or that he doesn’t), so I guess its possible, but I don’t think that’s the case. He seems to just be exploring for his own benefit.

1 Like

Seeds & grains is the main diet for a hamster, beside their main activities (to eat and sleep) hamsters proceed to mating and none of this is considered by bad robots.
That’s enough to put him on a friendly status.

they never said hammond killed any omnics or that he enjoys doing that