So, will Jesse McCree get a complete redesign now?

Since there’s an actual Jesse McCree now implicated in the whole uh… Sexual Assault World fiasco.

EDIT:

https ://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/1029893. jpg

Remove spaces.

Wait…what? Matt Mercer? what he has to do with it?

1 Like

Context:

1 Like

What McCree or Matt has to do with it again?

4 Likes

Nah they’re referring to the dev named Jesse McCree who is implied to have been a part of this fiasco.

1 Like

I suspect the demands to rename Jesse McCree will start soon. So yes, I imagine that the Overwatch character might be getting a new name soon. Not guaranteed, but likely.

2 Likes

Well, that sucks…as I know, they already removed references to Afrasiabi from WOW - they changed all names…

4 Likes

I wonder if they’ll change cree’s name now

That sucks even more as I am reading that Ashe novel right now and Cree is there as one of the main heroes - kinda getting into his lore too…

2 Likes

I don’t think you can simply change his name. He has a bunch of voicelines in the game as well as other characters including cinematics.

Maybe a new character of the same cowboy archetype and kit.

2 Likes

Apparently the “Cosby suite” wasn’t named after him in reference to his crimes, but there’s still something poetic about it.

I don’t see why they need to redesign anything just based on this.

3 Likes

I don’t think they will, it’s too well known and too iconic at this point.

Nobody is ever going to normalize the new name, they’re gonna see him and think first thought “Oh hey thats Mccree”

2 Likes

Did you heard, what happend with Kael´thas Sunstrider (one of the main characters from WOW) and his voice lines after his voice actor got accused of sexual harrasment? That voice actor got his named cleared as his “victim” admitted she was laying of jaelousy… But he got fired anyway and all his voice lines from all expansions got replaced by new voice actor. (we are talking about character, who was present in raid, dungeon, many quests and cinematics and he is even in HotS. Quite large part.)

AFAIK that was only one charge that he was found not guilty on, the rest is going on, could be wrong.

That´s not the point…I was talking about complet removal of his voice lines from the game and replacing it with new voice actor…So I don´t think they would have any problem to rename some Overwatch character, if they pulled such thing in WOW…

Should he, though? He’s a completely different Jesse McCree, so why should the other McCree get a name change?

Can you link me to anything talking about this?

He is but he isn’t. The character was named after the dev.

Still, Jesse Mccree in real life being a sexual abuser doesn’t make the ingame Mccree one.

5 Likes

No, but because some people will think that he was named after the dev to ‘honor’ him and so will freak out. The truth is they just needed a cowboy name, saw dude’s name on a paper, and were like hey that would work.

This is why the bot in the car on Hollywood says “Jesse McCree? That’s a terrible name for a cowboy!”

5 Likes