So we dont get any Solving of the Smurf Issue till 2022

No means No for me. But hey, i like ppl like u which always remain positive and in hope.

1 Like

extremely well explained.

i want to add that if you ALWAYS „balance out“ the smurf, EVERY match has theoretically a 50:50 winchance (at best). so even if one single player, that is NOT the smurf, plays much better than his rank, his success or failure heavily depends on the carry potential of the „better“ smurf. even if he SHOULD win by raw performance, the best he can hope for is a minuscule PBSR Bonus.

also the whole match difficulty is completely determined by the participating smurfs. you can have a diamond match in bronze. no problem :joy:.

a gold skilled player on main account in bronze for example. on his team a plat smurf. on the enemy team a diamond smurf. enemy smurf crushes plat and gold skilled players. gold cannot rank up, even if he‘s „too good“ for bronze. diamond smurf is gatekeeping him.

nevertheless there is a chance, that even the diamond smurf throws or fails somehow and loses unexpectedly. MMR „holds him“ artificially in place. making it harder for him to rank up, because matchmaker tries to find a mirror smurf.

without the handicapping, he would rank up much faster.

actually mmr is only there to slow down your ladder movement and to make you grind really hardy.

Blizzard’s fault for climbing into bed with them. Activision is the Fox News of the gaming industry.

1 Like

How do you fix that which doesn’t exist raises finger tips in the air above my face

If you want to slam fox news for propaganda fair enough. MNBC and CNN are no better. Whether it’s left wing propaganda or right wing propaganda it’s still propaganda.

1 Like

Your opinion isn’t based on math, so it’s probably wrong :slight_smile:

Incorrect. SR deltas can decide that. PBSR can decide that. SR bonuses for winstreaks can decide that. You don’t need MMR for anything but rigged gaming that turns your entire ecosystem into a sham.

Please never use that argument again, ever.

But that’s what the reward-structure, payout-feedback, and final “skill rating” is. If you’re ranking and scoring by someone’s ability to win/lose - why are they being held accountable for other metrics? Why are they being oppressed by evaluations that are hidden, obfuscated, rigged for/against them, and NEVER reset?

That makes no sense from a competitive standpoint. Part of competing is knowing what you’re competing on. Otherwise it’s a hidden sham. Less of a competition and more of a gamble - or a metagame of figuring out the game/scoring actually is.

So is mobility towards a correct rank a bad thing? Removing the MMR handicapping improves rank labels and ladder integrity. It trades away artificially forced matches, contrived for “closeness and engagement”, which are extrememly non-competitive and non-merit based interpretations of “fairness”.

SR-only mobility is better than handicapped/rigged progression. You end up with less disruption overall, when players are randomly shipped (by SR band) and win/lose against an average backdrop for that rank.

Then you put it right on the box like the cigarette companies and gambling houses. “WARNING: THIS GAME IS RIGGED”. And let people decide if they still want to compete. And you stop branding it an esport. And your league fails even more. And your company loses the emerging esports market.

Removing MMR will mitigate the effects of smurfing. It also goes a long way to solve the alt account problem - the generalization of smurfing, which doesn’t care about what your intent is - the very existence/popcount of alts destroys the distribution of % players by rank. Alts ruin the labelling structure of the ladder. So the real integrity debate isn’t about smurfing, but alting.

Basically you would have to go with an SR metric that resets win/loss every season. Accounts grind from there and there are no assurances on what % each rank represents. But the winners still rise to the top and can be considered as having the greatest ‘ability to win’ (which can mean wintrading, stacking, cheesing comps, etc).

2 Likes

Wow great for you i guess.

Its likely a ripoff of the system that paladins uses. If you play exceptionally well it bumps you multiple tiers when you hit a new one.

Stop blaming smurfs and see how you could improve your team. Not saying I’m perfect, but I have had games where I tried to offer some advice to my team since I used to play Flex all the time on console before coming to PC and just getting shouted at. Some games are a easy win, some you have to actually try and others will be a L no matter how hard you try. I will say don’t let it get you down.

I haven’t run into too many smurfs besides arcade, most of the time in Comp I am face palming because my teammates don’t actually know how to play their role, but they will brag about medals to defend their play style that caused the L in the first place. For example a Moria that says they only play DPS, they get gold elims and then crap on DPS and the tanks…it is like did you heal? No you had bronze healing because the soldier, reaper, or bastion beat you…then you should probably learn how to actually play support.

A smurf or two isn’t a big issue unless they’re grouped of like 4+… which is rare but happens sometimes. The biggest issue is the amount of cheating going on. It seems to have ramped up significantly lately. In just a few days I’ve already come across two blatantly aimbotting Widows on relatively fresh accounts. This used to be a rare occurence-- not so rare anymore.

Options:

1. Force 1 account per PC
  2. Make game cost per month
  3. Matchmaking to take account levels
  4. Mobile phone verification
  5. Take advice from other games
  6. Additional ideas are welcome?

Nah the devs won’t do anything about it as usual!Who are we kidding?They want people to buy alts cause of the sales!More revenue!The devs havent done a single thing for the guys who use bots to derank accounts to resell them double the price,would they do smth about smurfs!Nope,nope triple nope!

1. Limits the playerbase, family users will have some real issues there.
  2. Yeah i doubt anyone would want to pay per month
  3. If it is going to take account levels then queue times could become worse for just pretty much any ranking. Including the lower ranks which makes it less appealing for actual new players.
  4. Honestly i don’t have much against phone verification… though there are alot of people literally using prepaid numbers or other ways to bypass this. There are alot of top500 spots taken because of this, so i’m unsure if this will give the results we’d like.
  5. Yeah taking advice from other games is definetly a good thing, though i wonder what some games do without affecting the general playerbase. Not really familiar with things other games do though i do know that smurfs exist in pretty much any game.
  6. Ideas are definetly welcome, brainstorming is what gets us mostly to the somewhat perfect solution. Though the solution shouldn’t restrict players trying to play the game normally, the point is to lessen or get rid of the issue and not replace the issue with another.

I suppose you’re right. I tend to think of MMR as the reason players start new accounts, but I know there’s other ‘reasons.’ I have no interest in alting either way.