So Let’s Talk Bronze

Has anyone ever been stuck in bronze for a while? I made the mistake of playing comps as soon as I got to level 25, almost at 1,350 sr.
Does anyone have any tips or ideas? I don’t ever talk and I am not sure if I should take advantage of the in game voice chat system (should I?).
Anyways, thanks for reading this.

Edit! So I got my other account to gold! First placements. So I probably improved from 1 1/2 years ago! XD

1 Like

Make 5 friends willing to help you and 6 stack your way to freedom.

1 Like

You don’t need communication or sound until high plat. Just play DPS and ignore everything.

3 Likes

Find at leat one other bronze/silver player and duo with them using hero’s that synergise.

At your rank, It most certainly is you. Look at what you are doing. Focus on how you are playing.

You are on teams made of people roughly your skill players. You are the only constant factor in your games.

You can carry games if you are better, without using the stats on the stat screen. It is possible to get great value without killing, killing is just the best thing you can do(if you live).

6 Likes

Chro muted all chat and went gm without problem. But communication help most of the time !

Nope.
If it was, I wouldn’t be in bronze on one account and gold on another.

You can be better but still not be able to carry a team :confused:
Those things don’t go together.

Without knowing about their play style, you can’t jump in and say ‘you are the problem’.

4 Likes

3 Likes

First, oh god no. Don’t do this. Bronze 6-stacks are half groups of people who make the mistake of clicking the “stay as team” button, and half smurfing pre-mades slumming in bronze from gold or plat. Bronze level 6-stacks are not a good time. The game theory is just not in your favor.

From someone who actually climbed out of bronze and into silver, IME the easiest way to rise is to simply work on your fundamentals enough that you can solo carry in bronze. Honestly, it’s not difficult. If I can do it, anyone can.

Pick 2-3 “mains” and practice your fundamentals until you’re simply better than the other players you come across. Do your best to work as a part of a team, and do basic callouts as you see them, but focus on yourself first and foremost.

People are in bronze because they lack fundamentals and consistency. Work on those and you’ll be in silver in no time.

2 Likes

:point_up: this is mostly good advice but i didn’t mean any old 6-stack, that won’t help. You need a team of FRIENDS, people you can trust. it makes things more consistent and helps with communication.

The closest I’ve ever been to bronze was 1655 but I would recommend just focusing on your own gameplay. That’s what I did to get out of silver. You have to grind until you get out. Asking for VOD reviews would be helpful as well because they will help you realize your mistakes. I’ve heard people in bronze struggle with the core fundementals of the game- of course this comes from idiots who think gold players don’t know how to combo ults- so with time and practice you should be able to pick them up. Watch YouTube videos. A lot of them are garbage but they will help set you on track. If you want good advice that’s a little more advanced, I’d recommend checking out gameleap. They have videos for lots of different heroes.

Play Soldier until you’re not Bronze anymore. Only thing that worked for me.

For some reason, Soldier gets more SR for his wins and loses less SR for his losses than any other hero I tried to play, including all tanks and supports.

1 Like

I believe the bronze part of that statement… Having 2 accounts doesn’t mean much. It doesn’t mean you deserve gold just cause 1 account placed near there and havent played enough games for it too work its self out yet.

It’s a simple thing to get, if you are better you can carry… Do you think team wipes are the only way to carry?

You can, kill 1 enemy, harass another and live, in a teamfight and you will be carrying. You just have to do it semi-consistently. Though I would say this is minimum for an OW carry.

I know it sounds over simplified, but just by being better, you can carry your own way up.

3 Likes

You are right there, I was bronze in one account and plat in another.

Bronze is a tar pit.

1 Like

I did my placements when I was level 40, at the start of season 3. I placed 700 SR.

oof

I was in bronze for the whole season (climbed to 1.4) and got out the next season.

Climbing is about reducing your mistakes. This can be done by taking advantage of our pretty smart brain. The thing about our brain is that it can reason pretty damn well. If you are good at logical reasoning, climbing wont be an issue.

To take advantage of our brains incessant need to reason logically, ask yourself a LOT of questions. When you die: Why did I die? When you wiff an ult: Why?
Why?
Why?

Ask yourself WHY it happened, and usually your smart af brain will figure it out and strive to not do it next time.

PS: asking yourself why you died is enough till you get to like… mid diamond.
PPS: If you died because you aimed poorly, that is a mistake, because putting yourself into a risky situation where your only crutch is something as volatile as aim is a mistake that you should strive not to make.

Yup. It’s totally you. 100%.

It’s either that or you simply didn’t play the bronze account enough to climb out of bronze and up into gold.

Climbing isn’t something you do overnight. It takes time because it requires aggregate wins. Most people who complain about not being able to climb either are where they belong, aren’t improving faster than the aggregate playerbase is improving, or simply don’t play enough to get where they actually belong (note: it’s almost never option 3).

If you’re in bronze you’re deficient with some kind of gameplay fundamental. Is that bronze account one that you play specific heroes with? Heroes that aren’t your mains?

If it is, then there’s no way it should be gold if that’s where your main account is. You’re not good with those other heroes.

Also, since climbing does require a time investment, it could also mean that even if you are good enough now you simply weren’t when you originally placed and haven’t spent the time necessary to reach your true SR.

If you’re in bronze, work on your fundamentals and play more. That’s how you get out of bronze.

1 Like

Um… reviewed your profile and
a) you really haven’t played very much competitive at all
b) you have extremely healthy win percentages on your two most played comp heroes D.Va and Mercy
c) you spent a little time playing every hero in the game in competitive

Regarding c), I don’t know if you took a bite out of each hero just to see if they played radically different in competitive than QP or if you keep jumping around and switching heroes on the fly. Either way, just stop doing this.

Prescription is very simple. Stick with your D.Va and Mercy, both of which are excellent and versatile bronze picks. It looks to me as if this would just sail you quite easily into Silver just playing the game like you currently are.

Now let’s talk about some other things that will speed up your progress.

YES. YES. YES. FOR LOVE OF GOD YES, DO THIS.

Here is some quick bonus advice for first time voice users, especially shy ones. If ALL you do at first is call out the locations of snipers and turrets when you see them, you are giving tremendous value. Keep it simple, like ‘Widow High Right’, or ‘Bastion is Low Left on the INSIDE corner of the point’. Your team knows the geometry, they can usually figure the exact location for themselves with this minimal info.

Later on as you get more comfy using voice you can graduate to more complex callouts, and strategic planning.

Last I am going to link you to my guide on grouping done right, below.

GLHF! Your stats honestly do not look like a Bronze player to me, as long as you are playing heroes with a positive personal win rate you will just climb, period.

2 Likes

“X grandmaster streamer can get any smurf to diamond so you should be able to climb too” comments incoming

Seriously, you need to duo as DPS with a dedicated support. Or as support with a good DPS, either one works. And go for low elo stompers. Mei+Mercy, Reaper+Mercy works wonders in low elo.
And don’t touch high difficulty heroes if you aren’t good enough with them to climb alone. If someone is crying for the support to pick Ana instead of Mercy, mute and ignore them. That’s the only way out of bronze if you’re not a smurf.

Best advice I can give you is get comfortable. You will be here for a long time. But on the bright side no one takes it seriously so have fun and play what every character you like.

I’ve been down to bronze and got back to gold. Had to revisit the hero pool over and over again until I finally found one that clicked. I would suggest starting there. Most of your time is on D-Va and Mercy. Fine heroes, but they might not be working for you. Hit the practice range, see if anybody else feels comfortable, and work from there. Don’t rule any hero out.

Don’t tilt about the team comp around you or anybody else’s errors. You can only control you. If you can, watch your matches back. Be honest with yourself and see where you were in the wrong position, or hit your ult at the wrong time.

The forums might reee at you, but I’d turn voice chat off and ride your hero of choice win or lose. You’re not going to learn how to flank that troublesome campy Bastion by going Mercy, nor will you learn without failing a few times.

You also simply don’t have a ton of hours in general. This is a hard game to be good at. I’ve pumped in a lot of hours and can barely hold on to gold. Forgive yourself for having a bad match and don’t get tilted. End of the day your family isn’t going to put your SR and rank on your gravestone when you get old and pass.

You’ll be fine. Good luck.