So is this how we balance stuff now?

This is true because there is no data right now. Overbuff doesn’t have access to role queue data I think.

I mean I can certainly understand the Sombra nerfs due to how powerful she were in OWL and due to the majority of the player base probably agreeing about her extremely oppressive and frustrating kit, but Symmetra and Zarya?

Really? This has to be a joke…

I don’t believe devs nerfed Sym bc of community complaints. If they did that Mei would’ve been deleted 2 years ago along with Moira recently.

Zarya and Sym had very high pick rates since roleQ and felt highly effective in Master. I’m a Zarya main myself hitting GM a long time ago while one-tricking her when the meta favoured her and believe me when I tell you she has not been that good since a long time. The dev team does have numbers on those chars and I think they feel like thats not the roles those characters should fullfill.

However I will never understand the outrage people feel when a hero they like gets nerfed. If the hero becomes trash its time to move on and play one of the current OP chars that you feel comfortable with or live with your nerfed heroes.

Bunker is not exactly a thing om the ladder, especially on the PS4. There are comps that literally destroy bunker without even trying. One problem is that players are used to seeing what the Overwatch League does that they think that there is no counter or a counter is hard. In truth if there is a problematic player on the team, players switch characters to try and compensate or just Ult the player out when the player comes onto the field (AKA a stubborn tank or nearly impossible to hit Lucio). One tricks learn to deal with characters they are weak to, but when the Dev go and make changes (ie. Reaper’s 50% life steal-went live with no PTR time) or introduce a new character that can be abused (ie Brig or Baptiste -yeah what happens when you throw Immortality field above the head of the enemy tank? - yeah, the tank is done.) the game dramatically turns and starts to become unbalanced. I have already listed reasons why Baptiste needs to be changed, but that hasn’t happened and that’s more for another thread.
Currently the game is unbalanced on the PS4. Solo queuing is extremely difficult because one has to rely they have DPS that truly understand their positions (when to flank, when to support a tank, peel, etc) and character counters. Most of the time, one has to rely on the DPS to read the battlefield and hit their marks, if they don’t well one loses. There was a time that even when I tanked I could carry and push a team to victory, but that doesn’t happen now (even when I am having great stats for the game) when I tank and as a result, I have lost a lot of SR.
Sorry, I digress. The point is that there are counters to the comps. It is just a matter of players finding them.

There was already a precedent. You need only look at Sombra’s patch history.

It is where I’m from. Getting a Reinhardt makes everyone on the team sad.

I’m curious as to what this comp is. One bunker counter was 4 dps, Mercy and WB but forced 2-2-2 will end that.

No one tests anything on PTR, so they push it to live to test it. They just make sure it is functional on PTR.

Ever stopped to think the extra DPS was compensation for the bug they fixed?

She lost 30 damage over the course of a second. That’s less damage than a punch.

Watching the forums lose their mind over -15 DPS is hilarious.

1 Like

As an Orisa main on the PS4, I have easily been ran over by a core of Reinhardt and Brig (especially when she first came out). Usually with an additional Reaper, Mei has been used as well (more effectively). Junkrat isn’t as effective (that really depends on the player). For some reason, players on the ladder switch to this comp and my teammates have trouble dealing with the change. At which point we start to get rolled. Don’t get me wrong, I fight and am a PIA to get rid of. If I can keep Rien at bay, the Reaper will Wraith in while Brig moves forward giving Rien time to catch up. It’s a matter of tactics. Also, the players that know me also know they have to use the board to their advantage. The other members of the enemy team keep my teammates busy.

Example: If you are attacking on Lunar Colony and the entire enemy team is set up up stairs on the right side, which way do you go?

Most players go for the head on engagement up the staircase or out the air lock. What if one was to drop a shield on the staircase and then just dart left underneath them? Worst case scenario, you break up the bunker and score a tick, Otherwise the point gets flipped and the attacking team is now the defenders fighting on point. This strategy has worked many times and doesn’t take much co-ordination, but one always have those players that just want to run headlong into a fight. Granted the pro’s may not fall for this, but it works in gold and plat pretty easily.

I’ve not even seen much suggestion either hero is annoying, much less overpowered.

I have no idea where this has come from. It makes less sense than the Torb RMB nerf.

“The only arguments offered are that they are annoying.” hmmm i feel like i have seen this before, ah yes when they nerfed the hero with the lowest win rate at all ranks. looks at sombra

thats why i doubt that they have more data, they had clear data with sombra but didnt care at all.

maybe there are but we havent seen any

We also have extensive data, but, Sombra / Bastion were nerfed regardless.

It’s kind of a big deal when a tank gets nerfed because there are little options available to swap to. Throw in tank synergy and a nerf to one tank becomes a nerf for two.

Welcome to Sombra’s world :smiley:

But no, I am sure they do have the internal data backing up the change - it was probably winrates suddenly going up.

right, Blizzard have no data whatsoever on Sym or Zarya since the buff

Zarya needed the buff because she was bugged this whole time. Sym I understand she was op. But reaper and mei are more oppressive and nothing’s getting done about them. It’s BS.

My quickplay winrates with Sym 1.0 back then were over 70% and nobody cared. :smirk: During her many reworks, Syms winrate got more in sane regions back. Now, suddenly Symmetra gets attention again even she is still a niche pick in pro play and not even existant in OWL. I really want to know the reasons behind Blizzards quick reaction out of nowhere. Why are they in a hurry so suddenly? Wanna prevent Sym to drop into OWL as a valid pick completely?
I really want to see more niche heroes been played in OWL.

Have EVERYONE here forgotten about the recent patch about the beam hit registration ?

Obviously it was going to increase the average DPS from those characters, but by incalculable amounts since it highly depends of the player’s skill. I’m sure they have data about that now, and address it before it becomes an issue … Zarya DPS is still in our fresh minds and Sym is getting popular with the shield meta (I’m starting to pop off on her, i would never play her before).

My only concern is that the hit registration patch have, a priori, no impact on high level players as they already hit hard, while they still will be impacted by the damage nerfs, just like any other players.

Cheers,

Just look at dva, mercy, sombre and brig… they dont care. They’ll nerf a hero to the ground because the make some of the more popular dps heros think more on game.