So are we not gonna talk about the coding

I wouldn’t know because I don’t know much about programming. But he did give an explanation as to why they did that iirc.

I believe what they meant was a literal roll back to the beginning for a single mode wouldn’t work as simply as it sounds. It would probably require a ton of work.

1 Like

As a matter of fact, it is. We posted around the same time. I explained just that in a post that popped up right above yours. :grin:

They probably still have the source code. I think the problem on their end, is that many updates later, things have changed too much to allow old content to work properly anymore.

So yes, overwriting things in the game have made it impossible for them to just slot old crap back in easily.

1 Like

I dont think the devs are new/incompetent given the end result of the Overwatch game itself.

I think they just didnt create coding standards like they should have from the get go.

Also, from the planning stages of the SLDC models they implored, i dont think they planned the project to involve such a feature. Otherwise, they’d have made it so that they can create such things.

Im sure they have experienced developers over there (who really should know better in terms of mantenance). It just sounds like they dont practice the industry’s best practices.

But it’s all speculative.
I dunno. I dont work there. I havent seen their codebase.

I don’t see how that is a reason for not adding the old ultimates in the game for customs however, granted they can’t bring back the old UI and the major Vanilla OW stuff but surely they can bring back the old ultimates, overwritten coding shouldn’t be a issue if you can redo the code for them.

If they can’t give old ultimates, atleast give us the ability to add Armor or Shields to health pools in Workshop.

Workshop is hour to code overwatch edition

well depends who you’re asking, i’m currently wrong for thinking that they could have removed them because of “versioning” which means it should still be stored somewhere and very plausibly being implementable.

but what do i know, i’m not a programmer, i’m just listening in on this and giving my uneducated guesses to why.

Oh man if I’d have known Blizzard was a poor indie company, I’d have sent them a couple $10 USB thumb drives so they could back up their game.

maybe you should, they are apparently falling on hard days.

It’s not just backups and stuff.

From what im gathering in this thread, Blizzard did somethings in the past that would make it incompatible with current release.

If that’s the case, the only way to implement a Classic overwatch would be to Deploy legacy overwatch (whichever version it may have been or the so called “backup”) in a new server instance while still keeping current overwatch active in a different instance (or all new server altogether).

In any case, wasnt legacy overwatch buggy anyways!? Like for example, Rein’s shatter/hammer and more hanzo no reg!!!

I don’t know, sounds like a Blizzard thing to do.

If old overwatch code is incompatible with new overwatch code, then yeah, I get it. But that’s not what Jeph said. He said a lot of changes overwritten and not properly versioned off. Which is some monkey business if I ever heard.

Anyway, current Overwatch is about as buggy as Season 1. There were a few bugs they fixed, and a few bugs they added, and a lot of bugs that have just been around so long that we don’t even notice them any more. The only crazy bug that I really don’t miss is the one where Roadhog could hook you from another universe.

No. Just no, ok?

Ah. I see.

Again, this is just poor coding standards on blizzards employees. Sounds like they didnt close that branch properly. Hahahah! Or some idiot was working off Master instead of properly creating their own work branch or something.

In any case, if it cant be done, it cant be done. The reasoning is far too cringe but hey, whatever. I dont buy it anyways. Versioning is very easy to do and is an industry wide standard. People over there should know better. But we are humans so i dont really expect perfection

Throws Torb’s old armour pack at you

There could be many reasons.
How the game talks to BNet might have changed. Some remote assets might have been relocated in the meantime. Old codes could contain 3rd party library that is no longer supported or license-expired. It is also possible that OS/Device drivers no longer support some methods used by the game’s old client and/or server. Maybe rolling back re-introduces vulnerabilities they had quietly removed. ETC ETC

If they versioned correctly, none of this matters.

Code refractoring is done on a regular basis for any big software company (or in blizzard’s case, should be)

Code Integration shouldn’t require much overwritting (plus they would’ve had the added benefit of keeping the legacy code in their version repository) Even if, the integration team and testing teams should theoretically catch these big issues like os integration.

I dunno.
It’s all speculative anyways.
I make CMS programs not games. So what do i know about game developement.

Boi I am not new
You must be new. See, it's actually Jeff.

Oh geez.
You woke him up.

Now you’re in for a real treat.

2 Likes

Yes. How dare they mistake me for a new player.

Boi I’ve played longer than the time any of you’ll have a girlfriend, I promise that.