Sniping in OW is... not too good

I was playing some Call of Duty Black Ops 4 earlier, was using a sniper rifle a lot of the time, i realized i was having so much fun sniping.

Then i remembered sniping in Overwatch, yeahh… Widow or Ashe are nothing compared to sniper rifles in CoD games.

Oh, and also in CoD, you can remain hidden and snipe from very long ranges, unlike OW…

In OW, if you’re playing Widow, you get pushed around alot and any dive hero can shut you down quickly, and there are no good spots for actual sniping

I wish sniping in Overwatch was more fun.

1 Like

Can you clarify what you mean by that? Is it just the general feel of the weapons that you don’t like or do you think they are too weak?

Yeah shoot someone in the foot and they’re dead or shotgun them in the face with it. CoD sniping is a joke, always has been.

5 Likes

General feel of the weapons.

In CoD, when i get a clean headshot with a sniper rifle, it feels way more satisfying than getting a headshot with Widow or Hanzo, also the guns feel more powerful and hitboxes are more realistic.

I find the sniper scope animations a bit herky jerky from time to time.

But that headshot to dink-Elimination always brings a smile to my face

1 Like

You talking about CoD or OW?
Cause i always get the feeling of satisfaction when i get a headshot with a sniper rifle in CoD.

Well here’s your one and only problem: comparing two completely different games

1 Like

Sniping is a very forgiving mechanic in many games, CoD is one of them.
Its not that it is not good, its just that is less hard to punish a sniper in OW than in any other game.

If you played Valorant, you would probably think the same. Camper of Duty Warzone is way too forgiving so its of course “fun” to abuse an overpowered mechanic.

Nothing new under the sun.

6 Likes

No, i only compared the sniping aspect of those 2 games.

Of two completely different games, yes

2 Likes

the problem here is in COD you can have multiple load outs, in overwatch you get 1. Yes you can swap heroes but with 2-2-2 you’re limited. Sniping in OW won’t be the same as COD ever

Im going to go out on a limb and assume its because sniping in most other FPS games (Ie cod, Bf, whatever) is generally “less stressful” than it is in overwatch.

In a lot of other games- Sniping verges on the egde of being fairly overpowered as a whole. You sit back and 1-2 shot people at ranges where they really cant interact with you.

On top of that character movement is usually limited

Players arent blinking, lunging, flying, dashing, rocket punching, rocket packing, rocket jumping, sling shotting, teleporting- and all other sorts of abrupt movement.

Player models are also usually, relatively uniform.

Once youve got a “corner” held down- You will know roughly where to aim to line up a head shot, and numerous mechanics can easily be turned into muscle memory because of that physical consistency.

In overwatch youve got heroes who are 2-3x the size of others. Some dont even have head hit boxes at times. Some have them on top. Some have them in the center. Some have them in the back at times.

I say this as someone who has, for about 20+ years of their life, played snipers in most games.

The one thing sniping has going for it in overwatch is that youre typically out of range of MOST heroes.

But its very easy for someone to swap onto a hero who can dive you and pressure you.

Sniping in overwatch is “harder” in a lot of regards

The reason i DONT play snipers in overwatch is, honestly- I find it boring. Ive done sniping in so many other genres, why would i want to play a sniper-hero when theres literal “super”-heroes to pick from instead.

7 Likes

I also come from a different, pretty older style sniping era in games and I also believe the way sniping in OW is much more different than any game.

I come from the James bond era games that had online multiplayer and I could legit sniper in most games, where stealth sniping and camping was way too present.

On overwatch, sniping is much more different, the sole fact you gotta charge the shot triggers me beyond belief sometimes, the little details like the very tiny recoil on Ashe while zoomed that makes you miss by maybe a mere pixel. I can’t pin exactly, but it’s not as fun as I remember it in my other games neither.

But I’m getting better at it nonetheless.

1 Like

Hmmm… you always seem to make very good points, you basically said what was going on inside my mind, most impressive.

1 Like

Really, cause I actually prefer Ashe over every other sniping experience I’ve had. It feels like the Ambassador to me in terms of satisfaction.

Plus two taps vs one tapping someone feels more engaging and fun. Actually challenging rather than a snooze fest.

cod sniping and sniping in just about any other fps game is super different. i miss the old mw2-bo2 days of the melee range quickscope.

Ashe has fall off damage, a CoD sniper rifle doesn’t, also the sound the rifle makes in CoD is way more satisfying than that of Ashe or Widow imo.

I mean just look for yourself:

Something about the weapon sound design in OW feels off to me. I think the guns generally sound weaker than in other games, like its missing a “bang.”

Exactly, most guns in OW are missing the extra special bang to them.

I know what your referring to when talking about Ashe. However both in OW terms and actuality Ashe is not a sniper. She is more of a designated marksman. Though Widow and Ashe are both marksman, but Widow is the only Sniper.

But on to the topic, I think snipers are less fun in OW because they tuned it down. Most sniper heroes in OW have some kind of charge or delay which makes them very slow.