Snipers are making Quick Play unbearable

It’s only a conundrum for the people who think the former is the only thing that matters.

I don’t care how much I’m “rewarded” by a game if I despise playing it.

If you play Orisa instead of rein it’s hard for
Then to flank that shield, plus it’ll be up overall longer than reins. And you can just spam at them from a distance to dislodge them

I don’t mind going against snipers in qp. Just have better positioning and be wary of certain line of sights (or frag out). Unfortunately I always get paired up with the snipers that don’t pull their weight and never the ones that can aim.

Because you’re a player.
It is a conundrum to the people in charge (aka developers) – you can’t just not reward skill. Reward scaling is a critical type of gamification for PvP FPSes. We don’t think it’s a problem because we’re players. But any dev would say that it’s not quite so black and white. Understanding a devs’ mind helps one get through to them.

Snipers’ popularity in QP was always present since release day of the game, and has never changed. The reason is that it is one of the most thrilling to play roles, yet very skill demanding that people need to spend hundreds of hours honing their skills. It is no surprise that people use quickplay (an unranked mode mimicking competitive) to train/warm up their sniping.

Not at all. Playing Widow requires a lot of of positioning, target prioritization, game sense and decision making to be effective. You can have the best aim in the world but you won’t be doing much if you are standing on point trying to snipe people behind Orisa’s shield.

And EVEN IF all it took was aim, it is by no means an easy skill to acquire. Saying “Well, you only need aim to play Widow” is like saying “Well, you just need to run fast to win a 400 m olympic dash”.

Ummm… yes you can. You get aim punch from getting hit when scoped.

As a Rien main, I 100% feel your first point, but that’s not really the sniper’s fault that your team is bad. Plus, your team can just take the fire and a single Moira can undo the damage. All. The. Time.

As for the second point, I can freely go winston and body Widowmaker even when she jumps, and Hanzo can just get fought by any hero (though I like to use Doom Fist). I’ve never had a case where diving didn’t work unless I got honestly outplayed.

1 Like

Seems like most of the complaints are due to bad team mates.

A: “_____ is OP! Nerf!”
B: “Why?”
A: “Because my team runs face first into open fire. They don’t use my shield/don’t want to switch to a counter.”

Not saying this is OP, but the problems usually seem to involve bad team work rather than the hero having no counters/is overtuned.

2 Likes

And most of those things you mentioned are the things people hate playing against. You simply remove/rework the only real sniper (Widow) and all the defensive heroes (Bastion/Sym/Torb) and the game is a lot more fun.

A developer knows you can and should do exactly that if the reasoning is sound.

Ask yourself a simple theoretical question:
“If Widowmaker is used with 100% efficiency, should she be able to kill literally the entire enemy team by herself, with minimal if any assistance?”

(This is not how I see the actual Widowmaker, it’s just an example.)

This is a question asking at what point do we decide that “skill” is not enough to excuse absurd levels of power. This is what creates so called Skill Ceilings, where we put hardcaps on a mechanic’s potential, outside the hands of the player, that would otherwise scale infinitely.

A common example of developers exercising this mentality is in Fighting Games, notably Mortal Kombat X, where kombo’d attacks deal less damage the more attacks are in said kombo, to prevent matches from always koming down to whoever gets the first big open.

Developers aren’t magic beings with insight to forbidden knowledge by the way. They’re also fallible and don’t always make perfect decisions.
Anyone can be a game designer if they put in the effort to think critically about why a game works the way it does. (Whether individuals have the same vision for a game should work is another matter entirely.)

1 Like

I get it, maybe its smurfs. But QP isn’t the most balanced match making and so is comp. I my self am a widow main cause I just enjoy sniping even tho I suck. If you are having a hard time, take a break. Or you could do something else rather than QP, idk.

“The best way to have fun in this game is preventing others of having fun”

1 Like

But thats … subjective dude.
You have to adapt to the game, not the other way around. You cant just go “I dont like this, delete it so nobody can use it” … that doesn’t work like that.

You … you do understand that, right? :rofl:

You’re not arguing for or against Widow anymore there when you’re talking about moira. Also, a good genji can kill moira.

“hard to kill”. Lol. Hard to kill VS being instantly 1 shot is not a comparison worth making.

You are the reason your team loses.

Wait, you are complaining about the balance in QP? I thought this said comp and I was interested, but QP?? Who cares about QP? I dont play it anymore, since I always am forced to play Rein. I enjoy rein, but every game with bad healing? That’s just ruining Rein for me.

I hate sniper too. But let’s be honest.
They’re annoying only cuz no one dive them.
Can’t count the time I’ve stop healing to switch to a lucio/winston/hamon/widow to annoy them and let my time try to win.

And I play only QP.

usually if a widow tries to keep sniping me or annoying the team, i choose someone that i KNOW will annoy her,

ana - to sleep
sombra - to hack
mercy - to get an easy kill in valk
dva - to eat her hs and spam ‘winky face!’ near her
or widow - just to hs her back and to take the attention away from my team, all to me.

but yeah… sorry that snipers are just demolishing qp… i know how it feels to just be headshot from a random place by one of the 4 snipers on the enemy team :c

I hate how the only counter to widow is “Don’t be in her sightlines” a.k.a “Don’t go to 90% of the map” or “Stay right next to your tank all the times so you become easy AOE targets for the enemy”.

Really frustrating hero and not fun to face against at all. Same for Hanzo.

5 Likes

That’s funny, I feel like I get dived harder in QP than I do in Ranked when i’m playing a sniper in QP.

Goats was never played in ladder even before changes. It accured once in a while, but not often!