Smurfs should be hardware banned

According to jeff himself its not cheating.

get the money

$$ y’all

1 Like

account creation would be so limited, that they couldn‘t sell more than their own account…

phone numbers cost like 70 cents wouldn’t reduce anything

2-Factor should be required 100% of the time to be able to join Competitive and locked to 1 account. If its disabled than that account and Phone number should be suspended from competitive play for 14-30 days. 7-days if say player gets a new phone with same phone number as they need to email customer service support to remove the authenticator from the old phone if its lost or damaged (no longer working). Changing phone numbers should warrant the 14-30 suspension from competitive on the account(s).

3 Likes

I’m not sure about a hardware ban, but something does need to be done. I think the match up system should be bettered. I just wouldn’t know how to start. I would say that it would be nice to have match ups with people who are around a certain level closer to your own. Seems to tricky to do that and then actual new playes who want to play cant get by .
Another issue is defending. It seems that noone is interested in defending and the smurfs ruin it. They let themselves get rolled. and If your actually want to play this team game its just oh well…end game and wait until you get people who want to actually play as a team.

1 Like

Another way to cut the smurfing would be to raise the entry level into competitive in the first place, weve been asking since s3 for this. Raise it to lvl 150 or something, guess what its better for the player base too because the new player can actually get a grip on the game, more heroes than 1, what counters, what to listen for and how to figure out where the payload is.

4 Likes

He didn’t say anything of the sort.

He originally said that it wasn’t a problem. He more recently admitted that it is indeed a problem and that they’re working on a solution.

2 Likes

That’s over 120 hours of game time to play competitive. That is completely unrealistic for new players. No one is going to play 1000 games of QP to get into comp.

Eh then don’t complain about smurfs, honestly you could go less that was just a random figure, do you like people who have no clue in your comp games?

2 Likes

Its cheating if players are throwing down to be in a lower Elo than the system intended, owning more than one account, being placed in plat and climbing isn’t cheating. If that alone was cheating, tons of streamers would have been banned for their “Gold to GM” streams.

The meaning of smurfing is intentionally playing in a lower Elo to boost or grief other players. Owning different accounts doesn’t mean you’re smurfing or boosting, it means the new account got placed there and the owner might just be trying to climb, just like you.

They don’t place new accounts in anything above diamond now, they fixed that, in open que you can for some reason but not this 2-2-2. I mean if Im wrong show me someone who has off placements on a fresh account lately.

A smurf is a high rank player on a lower rank account.

How they got to that lower rank is irrelevant. Their impact on the game is the same.

3 Likes

In Korea we can have only one account per real person. Doesnt help against smurfs in slightest. Nothin stops players to lend grandparents or friends ID’s and create tons of Blizzard accounts. Or buy in the internets Its illegal but who cares.

Honestly, I used to play on my sons account, but quickly got bored of it, and decided to buy a new computer, so we could play together, one account in my household would mean I bought MY copy of the game just for it to get banned, so by your logic, I shouldn’t even have an account, yes both his and mine are my e-mails (hes 13 and doesn’t have a job), should I also be banned for playing this game with my son, on 2 different computers on the same WiFI? Think about it man, smurfs are a problem that will never be solved, deal with it and move on.

Jeff recently mentioned Blizzard are working on a solution to the smurfing problem.

2 Likes

To be honest 'I don’t see smurfing as a big issue. I play in mid to high plat and don’t feel like I get stomped by some t500 player every game. Yes in around one of 10 games there are some people who are a deal better than their rank but its not oppressive imo. I hardly ever encounter skill differentials that my team couldn’t have overcome by avoiding some silly mistakes. If you compare this to the times of CoD:MW2 where you would get f***ed by one player about 50 times in 10 minutes, I think OW is doing a very good job regarding the skill based matchmaking.

1 Like

I don’t think people above gold (let alone silver or bronze) are the ones concerned about smurf. There are reasons that throw groups in the lfg are often called “road to bronze”

2 Likes

And it isnt against tos to have multiple accounts period. Where the system puts you when you place isnt your fault unless you throw, as i said…so it is in fact ok with blizzard.

You can argue the point forever but one thing is true, a smurf passing through your rank isnt going to be a game changer for you or your elo.

We’re not concerned with the one “passing through” the ranks. The biggest concern are the ones that throw to make it to and stay in low ranks. I’m not saying they are why I’m there but they aren’t trying to climb do the match maker will never be enough to deal with those people.

If you can’t beat a smurf why should you be allowed to climb? What makes you better than the rest of your team who also can’t deal with the smurf?

Wanna know why not a single Top 500 Streamer has a problem with bronze to Top 500 challenges? Because there is no smurf who could beat them.
The only time I’ve seen said streamers lose a game is when their team was trash.
Watch Dogman’s Elo Hell video if you need an example.