Smurfs ruin Overwatch

So you think that people who are intentionally throwing matches - aka, ruining people’s games - are GOOD for the game… Because… they like to play with their friends?

edit: maybe you’d like to clarify where the ‘Good for the game’ portion comes into play?

7 Likes

I mean sure the ranked system puts people in the rank they belong in for the most part, but smurfs are not in that apart of that either way alt accounts ruin the core experience OW man.

2 Likes

I know plenty of people who don’t care for the ranked scene. Just because you live and breathe it doesn’t mean the whole community does and so saying 'Oh thats all the game is, suck it up" is silly and ignoring a large part of the community who enjoyed the game well before a ranked gamemode was even conceived.

2 Likes

Its good for the game because he gets to win with his smurf friends.

5 Likes

Lol I just wish these trolls would at least make a passing attempt at a coherent argument rather than just admitting right out of the gate that they’re nothing but selfish children who don’t give a crap about anything but THEIR experience, damn the consequences!

7 Likes

Yeah those are the bad smurfs I mean. The other definitions of smurfs are just meh for the game with positives and negatives.

I’m waiting for a proper response other than the dried dribble we’ve all heard.

1 Like

so you mean to tell us that there are “okay smurfs”. Oh heavens what do those look like? do they stay out of people’s ranked games?

2 Likes

Back in World of Warcraft (Blizzard’s Flagship) the game did exactly that. You had to prove yourself and your account that you were ready to take the reins and do exactly what was needed.

Look, I don’t really care if a person is a protegy at this game or not. Good for them! I applaud them for grasping the game better than most. But As long as I’ve played this game, people that are really good on level 25 and 30 accounts are FEW and FAR. - Sorry.

Look, if someone starts an alt account up and begins to play on this game again. Cool. it is reasonable if they lost their account, had it stolen, or flat-out forgot their password. But this type of “Smurfff abuse” is extremely heavy in this game. meaning LOTS of people do this and I mean (LOTS).

It might be fine for the player that controls the account, but Blizzard does NOT give out a separate “Rating” system for that player, and they know it. So generally, these players are ABUSING everyone else. Throwing or boosting. Doesn’t matter. The topic of smurff abuse comes up EVERY DAY in this forum.

Maybe if Blizzard did its job correct and gives players the option to OPT out playing with and Against SMURFFS. That issue would have went away ages ago.

If Blizzard is so hard-pressed for money, they could have resorted to Map packs, many more cosmetics and NOT nerfing MERCY, so they could have profited off the fan base. Their financials shouldn’t be ANY of our concerns. But the seedy practice of not curtailing alt-accounting to disrupt the game for others, yeah that is where many players draw the line in the sand.

Anyway, I bare ZERO apologies at this point

5 Likes

Please explain one benefit of a smurf in terms of a ranked experience?

Should I be ashamed that I do this? I am not a smurf or anything, just an old Halo 3 habit.

I think you can safely classify all smurfs as bad for the game, considering by your own definition they are throwing matches to game the system in order to be at a certain SR. That’s not cool, whether you’re doing it to play with your friends or not.

When I wanted my sister to play I bought a new account and promised to only play characters I never played, and stay on healer, so I would specifically not over-influence the outcome of the matches against lower skilled players.

This ^^^ what I just described? That is not ‘smurfing’, that’s just having an alternate account and not being a total dillweasel about it.

Don’t call smurfs ‘good’ if you think that they’re actually bad, it’s not gonna get you any friends other than other smurfs and make us all think you are super jazzed about the downfall of the quality of this game.

3 Likes

You know what, you just inspired me, what if players had to choice to pick what levels they got matched against. Not Ranked. But in general. Like if I don’t wish to play with noobs, then I’d place my window from 100 to 300 Leveled accounts. Mind you this would utilizing not the ranked number of those accounts in Ranked Mode but rather their account Rank (age).

2 Likes

Outside of it needing player numbers as well (smurfs would just pick the lowest ‘window’ and have a field day otherwise) I think it’d be totally fine - other than the fact that Blizzard clearly doesn’t have the playerbase numbers to support segmenting the players any further than they already are.

Honestly I think they won’t fix this problem because if they did it would only pull the veil back from the man behind the curtain; which is that there’s almost no one playing Overwatch anymore compared to the numbers it used to draw.

I mean I’m seeing game after game with the same people - if I play for an hour or so I’ll have the same people filter in and out of my matches, my team, enemy etc. over and over again. It’s weird these days.

2 Likes

I mean if your not a smurf and just playing in the rank you are in why not everyone has done it once or twice, everyone gets in the zone and feels themselves for a bit yeah know? But being a high level player playing against clearly lower skill players and doing this to grief people is kinda bad…

I can already hear the response now “then just play ranked”. No what is the minimum level you have to be to enter ranked? 30? 25? 50? What if I only want to be ranked with people whom I know arn’t possible smurfs, people 200 or 400? That would be nice.

1 Like

I completely get your point and again I see the holes in my idea but in a perfect world, it would be nice.

1 Like

WoW is PvE focused game, fine there.

Ones who don’t throw any games will quickly rank up to where they should be.

You’ll find no arguments here! I -wish- I could ‘select’ the category or tier of play I was putting myself into; that way if I was really feeling it, I could go into a more hard/legendary mode - but if I was just wanting to be super casual, I could aim lower.

Unfortunately we apparently can’t expect Blizzard to police their lobbies and stop their player base from ruining the game experience for the whole. Which seems… dumb, but that’s the argument some people wanna make I guess.

1 Like

But why purchase an alt account at all? what is the point if you already have a main that is at the level that you’re at? Just so you can see if you can get higher with a new account? why not just leg it and use your main? Why not? You’ve hit a skill ceiling and can’t get passed better players?

Unless your main is banned or stolen, I don’t see a logical reason to getting an alt. If your idea is to see if you can get higher in ranked with a fresh account. Not only are you a liar, I’ll point you to the definition of Insanity.

1 Like