Smurfs don't exist

What exists is a competitive system that mixes ranks together up to three ranks apart. A diamond will sometimes get a silver as a team mate. A GM will sometimes get a plat as a team mate. That’s how ranked overwatch is designed by default. So why exactly are we complaining about “smurfs” instead of telling blizz to fix their garbage ranked system? Imagine if this game actually had skill brackets.

2 Likes

Both things can exist. Both things do exist. Both things are problematic. Smurf stacks exist also.

54 Likes

Both things can exist. Both things do exist. Both things are problematic. Smurf stacks exist also.

copied it because it’s a very good explanation

9 Likes

Both things can exist. Both things do exist. Both things are also… I don’t actually care.

Because I focus on my improvement I don’t actually care who I play against.

3 Likes

I know. I’m just trying to bring attention to the fact that the ranked system is a joke in this game and I’m barely scratching the surface with these comments. There are far bigger problems than smurfs. Problems blizz could easily fix in house but they have refused to for years because their goal is to keep people addicted, not give us a fair competitive game.

jeez yeah i know what your talking about, i know others know too. have you seen one of hoshizora’s videos? it literally showed that hoshi was in masters or GM and he got paired up with a gold reinhardt and diamond enemys

the only change I would make to the ranking system is Bronze players can only get Bronze games or Bronze silvers
Silvers only Silver Bronze or Silver gold (as well as just silver)
and so on
get rid of the sr range
do it by ranks

Nah.

I play with someone who is about 1900 sr, while I am 2600. The skill difference is minimal.

1 Like

its not about skill gap
its just about matchmaking annoyance
also thats 700 sr
either hes smurfing or your boosted

Well that is a rude accusation to make. and neither are true.

Sounds like you have no idea what a smurf is so maybe this isn’t the subject for you.

Matchmaker is mostly fine btw.

You do know that smurfs are people who on purpose derank by throwing or buy low rank accounts?
What you say is true about match making system putting people to far apart (2 rank difference is stupid for ranked imo), but smurfs, are still there too. Controling games outcome either for favor of their team, or agains it.

I have been saying this since I played. Ranked is not really ranked at all. How is it remotely competitive when you have a chance of having someone ranked below or above you in the same game?
Having three ranks in one game is just a lazy design to not have to focus on mmr to much.

not really
its 700 sr
there is a difference between an entire rank of players

I do

not enitrely
it doesn’t have to be a new account its just someone who throws/purposely places in a rank much lower than they should be in

I agree its mostly fine
but if there is one change I would make
its that
Bronze players should not be in gold games, neither should diamonds
and plats should not be in masters games
yet all of these things are possible in the current matchmaker

I did say by throwing OR buy accounts… was thinking its obvious as two separated metodes i listed.

I was also Responding to BattleCattle as he thought I didn’t know what a smurf was

There is no issue with a silver player, trying to improve and griding themselves back into gold by playing with plat players isn’t an issue.

If anything they are making the games harder for themselves because if they solo queued they’d just get silver players.

Same as when in mid-plat I will group with diamond+ players as it means I am playing against better players so I can learn and practice playing against them.

I understand you believe you made a great point.

You didn’t.

Smurfing is deliberately concealing your identity so people don’t know who you are so you can stomp them. It comes from two very good players that used Papa Smurf and Smurfette as names so people wouldn’t leave as soon as they saw their real nicknames. In the broad sense of the word, it’s tricking by not showing your true colors for matching purposes. In the context of matchmaking, is having a deliberately altered ELO to be matched with people not in your league.

Why is it a problem to have people up to half their actual rating? Dunno man, it kinda explains itself.

3 Likes

How matchmaking is supposed to know that guy playing on acc bought on X website 5 minutes ago isnt guy (or bot) that placed that acc in bronze?

Well if we were to fix the integrity of the ladder in the way you suggested OP, well that wouldn’t be possible for the lower rankings.

Since they’ve been filled to the brim with smurfs it’s pretty much impossible to get any accurate statistics of actual players.

And honestly, smurfing and the issue you described are pretty much different issues.
You only are looking at the Average / High part of the Competitive rankings and saying that smurfs don’t exist, whilst the issue pretty much exists in the lower rankings.

So i don’t find it fair to not fix an issue that has been rampant for such a long time with the excuse of another issue.

The system wouldn’t need to do this if there weren’t a lack in players either, which honestly can’t directly be blamed on Blizzard since you would all die from a few minutes added to your queue.

you shouldn’t be able to though
its one of those things where for you it might seem fine but it is annoying for other people
and no its not making it harder for them
let’s say your 500 sr
and you que with someone who is 1000 sr
your group sr is 750
you will place with people around 750 sr
so yes it is technically harder for them but your playing in a lobby 350 sr lower than you should
the problem is most of the time its not perfect
so you can play in 1900 sr lobbies.
most of the time they will try to place another person in your sr in there but that’s weird for a 2600 sr player to get a bunch of silvers as teammates