Smurfs are not cheaters?

That’s not how hardware IDs work.

2 Likes

The mac address ( hardware ID ) sent with my IP is my router not my computer. And it’s stupidly easy to spoof.

I think hardware ID has to do with your processor, video card, etc. It’s not just mac address, that would basically just be the same as your IP address.

Short of requiring your social security number there will always be a work around, but making it harder to exploit the matchmaking is a good thing regardless of whether it solves the problem entirely.

Cheaters have supposedly been hardware banned by Blizzard in the past. :man_shrugging:

Each of those still have a Mac address sorry to say. Every hardware component does. I have a drawer with 4 graphics cards in it which all exceed the min specs for Overwatch and I can swap in seconds ( all Nvidia cards so same driver ) with no issue.
I have enough spare parts to completely rebuild my system in an hour from the ground up as I work from home and no computer = no work = no money and I like money.

I mean, they could make it more obnoxious. I like the idea of making new players play a few hours of botmatch before they get real games. Or maybe a fairly lengthy tutorial. And comp level should be raised to 50 or even 100.

What? Only hardware capable of TCP/IP networking has a MAC address.

Mac addresses predate TCP/IP sorry to say. Media Access Control addresses is how your OS sees your devices and allows them to coordinate with each other.

You’re confusing MAC addresses with memory addresses.

I appreciate that the match maker deals with Smurfs “quickly” and has them against players it should.

The problem is the sheer damn number of them.

If it was rare, hey okay whatever.

But every other game the matchmaker has you against Smurf’s it’s “quickly figuring out”

3 Likes

Cheating, not cheating, I don’t really care. I simply hate smurfs and they are rather pathetic. Go play in your actual skill bracket, punks.

They are not playing in their skill lvl, which makes the game unfair for sure, and despicable, but it’s not cheating, becuase the definition u used was not complete.