Smurfing, MMR System Needs Work

I feel that’s the system trying WAY too hard to force even matches. I’m thinking your low plat games are not the same as some random player’s low plat games. You literally have constant hard mode because you stand out. In order force each match to be even, that’s the only way i can see to make your games fair.

You’re a Masters having to play other masters in disguise on their 5th account, because they thought it’d be fun to smurf or have alts or whatever, just to make the game fair, or having to play with the worst throwers the system can find with it’s hidden MMR just to make the odds of winning even for both teams.

SR means nothing then. You may be in Plat forever just playing other high skilled players on alts, or getting paired with throwers forever.

It’s the main problem with this game, and the main cause of all the toxicity.

Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Ah, that oft-reposted quote from Jeff.

Problem is, he failed to address the impact a smurf/alt/whatever you want to call them player has on every single match they play in until they reach their usual SR.

1 Like

it’s not that the games are hard on that account, they’re not I find them incredibly easy and it’s not fair on those players, i’m frustrated because I was expecting the mmr system to kick in and boost me up the ranks very quickly but i still get 22 for a win and lose 23 for a loss. It’s so confusing!

1 Like

Yes i can attest as a masters dps in gold with groups especially you will get smurfmatched. It has become a increasingly bigger problem with people avoiding dps qs in higher elos and not being able to group in gm. The game is being wrecked for anyone who groups with matches of smurfs that make the game feel unpredictable and un changeable by one person.

2 Likes

You nailed it.

By creating “fair” matches, the system does not rank you up when you improve, it gives you harder matches. If your MMR goes up, you get matched with people near your rank who have a similar MMR. So if other people near you have also improved, you’ll be matched against one another, the matches will be more difficult, and no one will rank up. This is true even when you make a big improvement, or if you start cheating. The region and day / time you play has a dramatic effect on your rank. Your only hope is to find a day and time when there aren’t many people around your MMR. That’s when you can actually climb. This is ELO Hell in a nutshell.

You can take any two people at any rank, and they can have completely different matches, and still go nowhere. It’s like a personal altered reality.

Back in S10 when I was trying to get out of Bronze, I watched some Jayne VODs of Plat matches, and my jaw hit the floor. I couldn’t believe how easy a Plat match looked compared to Bronze.

3 Likes

I legitimately thought golds had become extremely good because I’m constantly smurfmatched but then I watched a video of golds playing and was like whoa that’s not at all what my games are like. I think I actually didn’t get matched this last game because I felt bad the enemy team were basically bots aside from one healer.

4 Likes

Very enlightened. This is the reality and the reason everyone smurfs and alt acts on the weekends. If you play your main on the weekend you will get constant loss streaks and dice roll games due to smurfmatching soft throwers and ppl who dont care. It has gotten so bad that masters and diamond dps are in every match i play in gold elo. Masters in previous seasons but gold in the current season. Its especially bad in stale metas w soft throwers.

It feels like anchor stats and the 5050 mm but it could just be smurfmatching. The pool is too diluted

2 Likes

My duo partner and I run into tons of players who think our game is crazy, and feels like a higher ranked game. You’ve got at least one smurf doing things you don’t usually see in low gold. Just higher level of play overall. “what is this crazy game!?” My duo partner and i say “welcome to every single game for us”

We get the idea that our matches are not your typical low gold matches. Of course, when we leave the game for a week or so, we return to games that DO seem like low gold. Those are really easy games. After a 4-5 wins, hard mode kicks back in. I guess that’s what i was trying to say with this topic in the first place.

The matchmaking should not change difficulty for you, just to force an even match. You should rank up to meet your even matches naturally, with no hidden MMR or meddling with teams to create even odds.

I don’t really fault Blizzard. Even matches are more fun. I just think the system is failing to move people up or down fast enough now. Feels like you win a few only to be met with artificially tougher matches. Unusually hard for that particular rank. It’s because there are so many alts, smurfs, throwers these days. The low player on your team maybe could have been carried in Season 3. Now, he’s a literal thrower so that’s an auto loss.

I’d say scrap all that even match stuff, it’s no longer right for the game. Truly random matches around your SR should sort players out faster. If the 4 best players end up on the same team, oh well, let it happen and they rank up.

1 Like