Smurfing is cheating

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/set

Yeah good luck arguing the point of one definition.

How about we go with the definition that the OP of this post is clearly intending. They wouldn’t be calling it cheating if they were using your definition.

Nope you didn’t, all my alt accounts are at the same elo as my main.

Some of the best players in this game came from TF2.

Are you saying that it’s cheating to have a background in another similar game?

Does that not give the players an unfair advantage?

Ok then I can report you for fake reports, how does that sound to you?

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

Okay this isn’t even a conversation. Red herrings are coming out. Later kid.

I wouldn’t say it’s cheating, but I do feel bad for people who waste money on a new account to throw their way to bronze just to beat a bunch of low ranks to make themselves feel better because they’re no longer climbing where they’re at.
If you encounter someone that’s throwing or smurfing and being unfair you can still report them if you want to, screenshot their name and tweet it.

Blizzard encourage smurfs because they provide them with more money and with all the lay-offs recently they’ll be glad of a few more smurfs churning out some cash.

If you are intentionally trying to place low that is throwing. I could make a smurf account to just reset my rating if try every game there is no issue and there is nothing wrong with that smurf account. Its only when the smurf throws that there is an issue.

This is the problem. I wouldn’t call that smurfing. And a lot of people wouldn’t refer to that as smurfing. For many people, smurfing isn’t just creating a new account. That’s the entire reason it has a negative connotation and why there’s been threads like this one from day one is because it isn’t simply doing that. If it was, nobody would care.

1 Like

The issue is that alot of people do refer to that as smurfing. People who absolutely throw just to wreck bronze all day suck.

It’s a tale of two definitions. But if everyone accepted your definition then you wouldn’t have these anti-smurfing threads. People would call it something and then there’d be anti-whatever threads instead.

I agree people that throw to wreck bronze/silver games suck. And I think that’s the point of this entire thread is that those people suck and its’ basically cheating. Regardless of what we call it, that’s the problem we are trying to solve.

One calls is smurfing
The other calls it carrying/popping

The one calls it deranker/thrower
The other calls it off day/not his main

One calls it cheating/smurfing
The other calls it outplaying/winning

One calls it hacks
The other calls it skill
A third knows it was luck
A fourth asks how he did that, to learn

One calls it a nice flick
The other calls it puure luck
One might say it was a aimbot
He might calls it skill, as he practiced it hard.

One is playing comp after 400h in qp
In comp he kinda carrys and goes a full rank up.
Others will say he’s definitely smurfing.

One has 2 accounts in silver
Spends 1000h and climbs on 1 to low-plat
He boots the second account (he’s not allowed to sell the acc) and plays the account to plat.
Everyone calling him a ugly dirty smurf.

You lose tons of games, the last 3 seasons the game is just awful full of cc and cheese.
You drop hard…

Meta changes

Players pick heroes working great with your heroes. And playstile.

You move up even 200sr over your carrer high.
“You’re a smurf and you know it, just admin”
Is all you hear, after 4 seasons of only getting the “you’re trash, git gud noob”

I just say, its not as easy.
Otherwise i’d listed solutions.

Purposely deranking, is wrong.
Now HOW THE F do you tell me, player X had losing in his mind.

I can be a half dead bronze player, playing widow with 0 crits 4 hits and 10% scope accuracy, and still actually be trying.
Oh sorry he didn’t swap off to mei to just hold m1 to win so he’s throwing.

If so, i’d have to report litteraly every single player in plat. :sweat_smile:

Below plat you could insta report everyone every game. With the reason “they could do better”

Tl:dr
The only solution is blizzard defining the rules absolutely clear. With strong and clear statements.

The current rules, can basically be understood differently by every player.

Being better than you isn’t an “unfair advantage”. There’s nothing unfair about it.

theres a difference between a bronze widow with 20% accuracy, and a diamond widow with 50%, and the bronze people literally cannot switch to cpunter them. It’s like a little league baseball vs Babe ruth.

1 Like

You need to play a fair bit of QP games before competitive mode is unlocked. If you are playing fairly then you’ll be placed around gold-plat at least, not bronze.

It’s not cheating because It makes Actiblizzard money, please understand.

there are several types of smurfs.
what smurfing is, it’s when you deliberately are hiding something
about your in-game self.

for example jayne playing a secret account no one knows who it is, that’s smurfing.
for example, an extra account someone is using cheats on, that’s smurfing.
for example, an extra account where they deliberately manipulate the rank system to get to a skill bracket they shouldn’t be in, that’s smurfing.

in other words, hiding something about their in-game self = smurfing.

:smiley: oh it wont hurt me!! but I guess u care too much for your smurf account :wink: