Smurfing is a Problem Denying it is Pointless

This is just as weird as claiming that there is a Smurf in every game.

1 Like

How? smurfs aren’t teaching anything. They win by out mechanical more often than not. I’ve never seen someone stop and explain “Hanzo, before turning that corner, use your sonic arrow to check.” or any actual advice. Claiming “Smurfs help you learn” is an excuse spouted to justifying ruining games and claim to hold a high ground.

6 Likes

When your every mistake is punished by the smurf, youll have to start to actually think about your positioning and ability usage more for example.

What sort of positioning helps against the 4000 Doomfist/Tracer? Once they’re mechanically skilled enough, they just kill you.

7 Likes

Well, if you are facing a high mobility hero that punishes your position, you may wanna stick with the rest of the team for peels.

I am not saying that a 2000 Sr guy will necessarily learn something from getting his a’shole ripped open by a 4000 player, i was just answering your question as to what the reasoning behind that statement is.

I can understand playing against better players. You learn by being punished. But the gap needs to be small enough to understand what happened. The issue is that smurfs don’t tend to like to play 200-300 points away from their SR. They tank and play 1000 SR apart where it isn’t going to teach anything. I can see the idea you’re trying to suggest, but that isn’t how it plays out in real world.

2 Likes

I agree.

The gap can definitely be bigger than that. Unless you play in GM, 200-300 Sr is not gonna be much of a difference game play wise. In my opinion, 500-750sr is an adequate gap where being outplayed could be viewed as some sort of positioning lesson.

But in any way, it most definitely sucks for the person having to play against the smurf and this behavior shouldn’t be justified with “wElL iM juSt TeaCHiNg tHeM tHe GAmE”

3 Likes

How it plays out in the real world is the people 1000 SR lower think they are better than the people 1000 SR higher. That is why they don’t learn anything. The people who are open to learning climb the ranks because they actually learn. Smurfs don’t matter.

That’s why I got bored of the game, though I found it wasn’t so much smurfs as it was the constant stream of alt accounts. Every match turned into a stomp, win or lose (both just as boring) with the match usually being decided by whoever had the most new accounts :man_shrugging:t2:

If I could just play qp matches against other casual gold/plat players, that’d be great :neutral_face:

4 Likes

It depends on your perspective. For the players, smurfs are a problem. For Blizzard it’s heaven sent that some want to pay for several copies of the game.

And since it’s only an inconvenience for the players and a major profit for Blizzard, guess the developers will follow ActivisionBlizzard procedures and stick their head in the sand and pretend it doesn’t exist. One does not threaten money flow, number one rule.

3 Likes

not shipping ow2 like 2 years ago certainly hurt their flow.
it better deliver massive content to offset dmg to their brand from all the news.

Long term investment for them, they probably hope to push OW2 further into E-Sports, and through PvE manage to lure enough people in as potential viewers.

Given just how cynical ActivisionBlizzard is, I wouldn’t be surprised about that being their penultimate goal with OW2.

1 Like

ive watched a lot of supposed smurf replays the past few days, and most of them the alleged smurf was barely carrying or doing anything thing at all really.

however the tracer/ 76 in this game was clearly smurfing.
props to you for even trying to counter and getting some dinks in.
though your high plat tank may have something to do with that, most of my gold teammates never try to counter.

i dont see smurfing being a bigger problem than my bad teammates though or sheer rng.
i see a smurf twice every 15 games, they have no impact on me.

1 Like

Join Comp queue
Set filter to only matches with accounts level 150+
Wait extra few minutes to find a game
Have a good competitive game

Leave the sub 100 accounts to a dumpster fire of matchmaking, alts, throwers and smurfs.

That is my solution.

3 Likes

It’s only a problem when I get one of them on my team. They’re often really bad at the game, I’d assume from the overconfidence and ego, so they rage more than the average person because their god fantasy isn’t fulfilled. They also have the most paper thin mentals I’ve ever seen. :sob:

My problem me with alts is that they skew matchmaking when used at the scale they are currently. If every diamond player has six accounts, suddenly the pool of diamond players is bigger an dot pushes everyone else down the distribution curve. Sometimes it feel like an uphill battle to just keep an old rank. And it makes climbing even harder. I used to be diamond across all roles, and depaite playing better than ever before with pretty obvious improvements in measurable stats like accuracy, k/d, and time on fire, I’m struggling to keep high plat.

1 Like

diamond…but yea its in plat rn lol

I do agree with this
the main thing I am just trying to say with this post is smurfs are really not fun to play against and ruin the experience for that entire game
I don’t care about my dps sr
I don’t throw on it but I play it for fun
I don’t really care about my sr in general as I just play my best on whatever I am playing
I just think smurfing is prevalent enough and not fun enough that it with other issues in the game just make it an easier choice to not play

Quake and Doom both had multiplayer.

1 Like

Tracer and Widow were both using critical hit. Its an aimbot wallhack. This game does not have a smurfing problem, it has a cheating problem.

The bot looks natural to most people. Everyone who uses it looks exactly the same. Watch the wallhack awareness, these players know where everyone infront of them is at all times and it shows.

These are not good players at all and once you get to higher rank this is the type of player you encounter in every single game. The game is mostly dead, it’s just cheaters and whiners higher up. You can still beat them, but it’s not fun and it changes the gameplay.