Smurfing = Cheating

If I read the definition provided by the Blizzard report system cheating is defined as “…engaging in any activity that grants an unfair advantage”.

Judging by that definition smurfing is indeed a form of cheating . Creating an account ranked far below your actual skill level to carry friends or just to annoy those who are less skilled provides an unfair advantage for the player smurfing (and also the premades profiting).

I know smurfs generate money for Blizzard but thats still no excuse for the normal playerbase to suffer from this rampant abuse that is going on ever since the game is available for very little money. Even ignoring this problem Overwatch is on its path to decay so please dont make the rest of us quit.

3 Likes

You can’t report someone simply because they’re better than you, end of discussion.

6 Likes

So it needs ro be illegal to play any heroes except your main.

I mean i especially without the 2,2,2 I can play my very worst hero possible.

And then just swap to my 300h main. Which completely fits my playstile. :sweat_smile:

Short and nails it.

Add: its not bannable to be bad, on paper…

2 Likes
4 Likes

Isnt cheating basically doing something that gives you an advantage over others? Dunno how “being good” falls in that category but in order to smurf you either have to play another account or throw your way down. Both is banable so …

You have misinterpreted what “unfair advantage” means. An unfair advantage would be doing something that other players cannot normally do, regardless of skill, such as exploits or hacking. If it meant other players aren’t allowed to be better than you I dare say everyone but the absolute worst player would be cheating at some point.

2 Likes

Tricking the system via throwing is reportable.

Working with the system by playing to the best of your ability so it knows to get you up and out of your current rank is not.

Report smurfs for throwing when they actually throw. Simply playing well is not reportable.

5 Likes

Exactly this, and in this case it’s gameplay sabotage and not cheating

2 Likes

at least half the people showing up to smurf posts do it themselves. Of course they’re going to reply with ignorance & snobbery.

1 Like

When all you have is a hammer…

And your evidence of that is?

You also have to take into consideration that he system can match you up purposely against a stronger player, either because you have a strong player as well on your team or that your team overall average is higher in order to compensate for it and if the strongest guy pops off in such game, well…

Loaded question. I’m not autist enough to try collecting data & asking surveys. How about you do it, so you TOO can have a point tee hee

You make the claim then you provide the supporting evidence. It’s not up to others to prove you are making up lies.

The term “unfair advantage” actually has a rather specific meaning when it comes to sports and gaming. An unfair advantage is one that cannot reasonably be overcome throughout the course of a match that is reliant on something that exploits the game or makes use of something outside of the game to give a player an advantage than an equally skilled opponent could not match without having access to the same thing. (Aimbots, exploiting the game to hide inside walls where you can’t be attacked, etc.)

Being placed in a game with someone that is better than you and repeatedly destroys your team is not the same as cheating… although it can be equally as frustrating. We can’t reasonably punish people that outperform you through raw skill and know-how.

That said, there is a part of smurfing that is absolutely reportable and bannable - the throwing of games that it took to land them in a bracket that is far below what they are capable of. For obvious reasons, that’s impossible for someone unfortunate enough to find themselves on the losing end of a smurf popping off to be able to report on. It’s further compounded by the fact that lesser skilled players probably wouldn’t even pick up on the act of throwing unless the smurf does so in the most obvious fashion.

TL;DR: Smurfing (not alting) can partially be reportable, but not in the way you think. It’s a pretty despicable act, either way.

1 Like

If you like smurfing it doesn’t matter…

If you don’t like smurfing it doesn’t matter…

Smurfing is not going away, Blizzard doesn’t consider it a problem, the end.

Lfmao you make my day

Since this topic devolved into accusations in lieue of arguments, we’re closing it down.

4 Likes