Smurfing = Cheating

Dude, I don’t think you quite understand what smurfing is…

I want a fair game for EVERYONE. That includes me and my team as well as the people on the other team.

Wants a competitive ladder but anyone can just pay money to play at whatever rank they want thus ruining the game for other people and making the whole thing a joke :thinking:

based on your definition: Smurfing is when you purposefully make an account to throw games [ok if you do that people have the right to report you for gameplay sabotage] until you are playing with players who are much lower than your actual rank. [people can not report you for cheating when you are playing at a lower SR than your actual SR]
that’s all I’m saying

i understand that… but there’s nothing blizzard can do about it even if they introduce a pattern recognition algorithm that can detect smurfing they’ll just find a way around it sooner or later (the same way that people have found ways to get to t 500 without actually being good at the game)

Lol, you don’t have to base it on anything.
I gave the definition.
If you continue to stay at that level, it is because you are still throwing.
You are also putting the other team at a disadvantage, by being at a much higher rank. Which is against the rules.

then absolutely go for it report them for gameplay sabotage!

1 Like

That is a incorrect definition of smurfing. Smurfing in gamming is the same as the classic definition. Having another account under another identity to to avoid penalties on your main. Just like in the classic detention having another bank account to avoid taxes under another alias. Its the same thing. Some of us like to see how we place again each time for science. Im a masters player. I have placed on i think about 8 accounts now. I have placed in low gold 2109 clear up to 3543. The placements clearly are bad at getting your correct rank. Imo it takes about 30-50 games till you get your correct rank.

1 Like

That’s not the traditional sense of pay 2 win that normally meant that you could buy better weapons, buffs in which other players couldn’t obtain those weapons or buffs through just regular gameplay. Idk if what you are describing could be considered pay 2 win. That’s a really negative connotation to give OW when all it’s loot boxes are cosmetic.

Not using it properly is an unfair advantage. If you only invoke it when you decide to stop throwing and trounce a team that is lower skill than the tier you have dropped an account to it most certainly is an unfair advantage.

1 Like

Smurfing IS Cheating by the definition of smurfing:

An alternate account used by a known or experienced user in order to deceptively self-present as someone naïve or less experienced.

Having an alternate account is NOT smurfing. It is perfectly legal. Presenting yourself as someone less experienced… is DEFINITELY against the rules. In order to do that, the smurf has to throw games. Otherwise their SR would balance out to around the same their main is.

1 Like

They literally PAY, to play and win vs inexperienced players to fix their rank that got crushed by people of their level. Enough said.

1 Like

Except that any player that obtains good enough skills can go after the smurf eventually which means the smurf could be overcome through gameplay which is something that a true pay to win model doesn’t allow for normally. A Pay 2 Win model means someone paid for better gear or weapons or buffs through money and you cannot obtain any of that in OW.

they are a huge problem in quick as well tho, new players get destroyed when just trying to learn the game

3 Likes

So what? What part of the term ,Pay to win’’ tells you that it has to be about ingame items? People lose matches to players that paid extra $ and that’s all I care about.

1 Like

You’re contradicting yourself I think, or are you saying you don’t have a problem with cheating?

No, smurfing is not cheating. What IS cheating, and what people should focus on, is manipulating your SR via deranking and boosting.

Those things can both be done on a single account, so the problem isn’t “smurfs” it’s “derankers and boosters”

I haven’t found a definition yet that describes the Pay 2 Win model as being buying an extra account. It’s your interpretation I guess but it’s not a part of the definition given to the Pay 2 Win model from what I have researched.

What you just described IS the definition of smurfing… don’t confuse it with alting, which is not throwing.

1 Like

South Korea i believe passed a law against boosting. That country is super serious about their gaming. Maybe the USA citizens should write their congressmen. hahaha

No it isn’t. It’s boosting and deranking.

You can do that while only having one account.

You say it is an alt, but most people I talk to say an alt and a smurf are the same, so obviously people aren’t using your definitions.

In fact, the OP in the thread isn’t even using your definitions.

How can they be in their own rank, but also boost and derank?

Answer: they can’t.

So don’t come at me saying my definitions are wrong when the thread isn’t even using your “corrected” definitions.

I wish lol, but I don’t think that can happen right now with the current political climate and the USA’s perception of “hardcore gamers”

Traditional sports seem to be dying so I wonder if the future will hold State E-Sport team stadiums along with College E-Sport stadiums.

How comes everybody is so hung up on the definition of smurfing when it is perfectly clear what I mean. I dont care how you want to call people playing under their rank on purpose on a different account.

The rest refers to alternate accounts on their own tier, which some people do have for times they dont want to play on the main account but still on their level.