Small Mei nerf?

It’s absolutely avoidable. It only has a 10 meter range, and gets blocked by barriers. Not only that, most heroes in the game have the damage to outright kill Mei before she finishes freezing them.

Her win rate isn’t exceptionally high, and she is the fourth least picked hero in the game. I suppose you think Torb, Sym, and Orisa are overpowered, since all three of them have higher win rates AND pick rates than Mei?

Pocketing? You mean Mei has a healer? Well if Mei has a 2 to 1 numbers advantage, Mei should absolutely win. And that’s not Mei being broken. That’s Mei having a teammate.

2 Likes

Right! Here is me with some news…

I tested it with my BF instead of a bot as I didn’t get it to shoot at me with LMB only and all the time. So this seemed easier.

• Soldier seems to be fully stopped after 1.5 seconds in case of 100% hits.
    No matter if he is walking or using his sprint ability.

• Lucio seems to be fully stopped after 1.5 seconds in case of 100% hits.
    No matter what mode he is in or if using E. We didn’t try the wall riding tho.

• Rein seems to have a big difference between charge and normal walk. I can’t exactly tell you how much time was the difference but I believe there is some.

• Genji and Hammond times were so all over the place I got no info that would have any value.
    That was because getting Genji frozen during dash seems impossible and Hammond is really hard to freeze in full speed as Mei never gets the freezing to start at the perfect time (+ he pushes her around…)

(All the tests are repeated multiple times and these would be the averages)

Well, I tried my best and was ready to make a video, but it would be quite pointless with the amount of information I gathered.

All I know now is that Mei’s gun has the same amount of ticks no matter if she’s standing next to you or at the maximum range.
And for some weird reason, I believe Rein takes more time to be frozen during his charge than while he simply walks.
That would be unlike everyone else.

• So I still have no proof, but after my tests I think that in case of slower speed boosts, the time and amount of ticks is always the same.
  • In case of Rein’s charge however, to become fully frozen, it seems to be made more ticks necessary or somehow else prolonged.

What it seems to me like after the tests is that fast boosts get some kind of advantage compared to the slower ones or normal walk and Blizzard might have done it for Genji and Rein but still considered max speed of WB a slow boost, which makes it look weird in the end as it is actually quite fast.

Or, more likely, I just messed up the testing as I am not skilled enough MythBuster for this task.

So yea. No proof, but I think it could be worth testing for someone who knows what to actually do. :smiley:

2 Likes

Complains about CC WHILE playing Hammond. OKAY

1 Like

Thanks for testing.

I will give it a look as well as soon I have some free time.

2 Likes

Tell that to Tracer players who hated Bridget

1 Like

As it was already stated, they all get fully stopped at 30 ticks, which means 1.5 seconds in 100% hits scenarios, and that’s ok. What you could ask for, as I already stated, is for the slow to be proportional to the initial speed. That, though, might end up in reducing the % of hits, which would entitle Mei players to ask for a wider range to compansate. It will feel more natural, but the effect would be the same. You are not being slowed, you are being frozen; the slowing part is a side effect

It’s not more ticks, it’s more misses due to Rein’s charging speed.

Mei’s problem is that once the freeze effect starts, you can’t escape it. You can’t simply boop her because the freeze slowdown lingers even without it being on you after you break the line. So it’s easy for her to just continue killing you. This goes for anyone that doesn’t do an instant cleanse like a bubble.
I think you need more control of your character after you break out of getting hit with the freeze. Less CC and more ability to play the game. It’s like when Doomfist use to lock you in the air after an uppercut

1 Like

Except that people can and do escape her freeze effect through mobility skills, CC, barriers, or outright killing her quite often. There’s a reason why most good Mei players will often opt to simply keep right clicking rather than try to freeze someone even in close range.

1 Like

Mei’s role is to single out targets. If you’re getting separated from your team maybe like via a wall or couldn’t get out of blizzard in time, you’re going to have a bad time. That’s what she excels at.

I will say that I would actually prefer a small QoL change for her and her team. If a Mei places and Ice Wall up, you and your team should be able to see through it more like frosted glass than a solid wall. If you’re on the enemy team then they see what they see today.

The only thing that annoys me are the Mei’s (on my team) that put up Ice Wall just to put it up. I had one that put up a wall last night when we practically had a team kill. We were working on staggering the Rein who was in 1 Shot Range. What does she do? Puts her wall up preventing his death. He made it back to his healers and gave them a significant ult charge boost. It was incredibly frustrating.

Tracer uses an ability :wink: Everything with movement ability can be frozen with no escape.

I would quit if they removed wall. It’s one of the most interesting , fun and versatile abilities in the game. Removing it just because it blocks her own team once or twice a game is a terrible, stupid idea.

2 Likes

Sigh

I play a lot of Hamster and Mei. Yes she can be annoying to fight as him but thats the whole idea. As a hamster player you should completely change your play style when dealing with the likes of sombra/mei.

Mei often forces me to remain highground and overlook the enemies like batman. Scanning for any place not covered by Mei then go in and kill some people then get out, since I can no longer rollout through the enemies blindly.

Sombra basically forces me to fight around my team and act more territorial instead of outright aggressive. But when sombra is killed its free reign.

If they have both a Sombra and a Mei and especially a Mccree. Well… its probably time to go roadhog and start one-shooting sombra/mccree until they switch off. Lol

2 Likes

it does it all day long :smiley:

I play Mei and always leave something for my team to shoot at. You are playing with bad Meis if it is seriously causing you problems. You could compare it to playing with a Widow who misses all their shots - should we therefore remove Widow because some players are useless on her?

Leave Mei alone.

Counter-picks are healthy.

2 Likes

I just wish they’d make it so Mei’s freezing effect doesn’t keep slowing you down so long after she stops hitting you with the ice spray.

My bad bro, I misread what you said. I still don’t think she should be nerfed, imo she is the most balanced she has ever been.

They made it its current state because it was stupidly hard to freeze Genji and Tracer.

It wasn’t, nor does she need to freeze a Genji or Tracer to deal with them.

I’m 95% sure I can remember reading in the patch notes ages ago that they increased the time the slow debuff lasts to give her an easier time with heroes like Genji.

2 Likes