Significantly longer queues when my friends play with me

It was originally a joke that i was causing longer queue times. We eventually experimented, by queueing with me for max 10 minutes then I leave the group and they re-queue. Did this at least 3 times and each time they got a game in less than 3 minutes. Longest queue we had was an hour long. This happens in quick play, competitive, and arcade. I think its been going on for about a month. My endorsement level is 2 but so are my friends because we play together all the time. I haven’t had the popup that I have been avoided by alot of players.

2 Likes

Which platform(s) are you and each of the friends you group with playing on?

• Microsoft Windows (PC)
  • Microsoft Xbox
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Sony PlayStation

?

1 Like

Hi, thanks for following up.

Me and the friends I play with most of the time are on Xbox. Maybe once a week a PC player joins us. I would say 95% of the time everyones on Xbox.

2 Likes

:+1:

Check this reply post I made in another similar topic: Open queue QP times - #7 by Dazarix-11427 as it sounds like your account may have Cross-Platform Play set to Off

If that’s the case, even if your group is usually all playing on the same platform (Microsoft Xbox), I believe if any of you have Cross-Platform Play set to Off, then your group is only queued against/with other Xbox players who have also disabled Cross-Platform Play (not all other Xbox players, confusingly). So the potential pool of players to match you with is much lower.

There are more details and relevant Blizzard references in the above linked post/topic - worth a quick check at least. This was the root cause for that topic.

1 Like

Thats a good point. I have checked and it says on and I also checked my multiplayer settings on my xbox and all of them say allow or everybody.

1 Like

To confirm we’re thinking of the same settings, do you mean both of the following Xbox settings (found in Settings > Account > Privacy & online safety > Xbox privacy > Communication & multiplayer):

• You can join multiplayer games: Allow
  • You can join cross-network play: Allow

?

Other than those and the in-game Cross-Platform Play setting, here are some ideas for things to test/try to help narrow down the cause(s):

For testing, focus on Unranked (Quick Play) for now since its matchmaking seems to be less stringent:

1. Are all your friends (all group members) and yourself choosing ALL roles? If not, does doing so appear to improve your queue time?

2. If you try grouping yourself with a single other friend and both queue for ALL roles, does your queue time appear to improve? Repeat this test with each friend, one at a time (i.e. just you grouped with friend A, then just you grouped with friend B, etc.)

3. Does your queue time appear to improve if your group size is smaller (i.e. just you and friend A, then you plus friend A plus friend B, etc.) Repeat this test, adding one additional friend each time.

Hopefully the results provide more clues as to potential cause(s) or things to investigate further.

1 Like

From experience: this is just something to do with the system.

I get instantaneous queue-times when playing solo, but when queued with others it can sometimes take upwards of 5-10 minutes.

For the most part it just seems to be something to do with blizzard’s queue priority system.

1 Like

I wish that was the case but i played with my pc friends this week and the queue time was 1 hour 30 minutes at which point we gave up.

Yes xbox setting all on Allow

We always queue all roles. It does seem to be better when queueing as a duo which is good. I think if it was the same I would just give up on overwatch. I dont want to force my friends to waste time waiting in queue.

Ill try and do a group of three at some point and see what it does.

1 Like

Don’t mind me, just bumping up this post.

You are not alone in experiencing this bug. Here’s a link to my post in case you’d like to read more about this issue: Comprehensive Thread Of All Top 500/Competitive Bugs. I put your thread under: Matchmaker Queue Time And Balance. Please help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads regarding these issues.

My lovley gamer friend VenousTwo398 is a genius and looked at reddit and found this post Reddit - Dive into anything
So i put my disk in and it worked. I think the problem is related to the free trial of overwatch that i downloaded years ago. When i start without the disc is show a free trial pop up but if you continue it still lets you play the game.

1 Like

Now that is a very interesting solution, I never would have even considered something like free trial versions affecting queues. Thank you for your solution, I’ve included it in the competitive megathread under: Matchmaker Queue Time And Balance. I would highly encourage you to copy your comment under the other tenish threads listed there as well for other players still experiencing issues with their queue times, I am sure they would gladly accept any possible solutions.