Sigh. I'm at a loss

Can someone tell me how it feels impossible to climb when I know I’ve gotten better than when I’ve first started? It is such a discouraging system. I’ve been stuck mid gold except for one season where I magically climbed to plat, but fell back down to gold the next season. I don’t really know why I still play.

5 Likes

Just like you got better than when you started so did everyone else you need to improve at 2x the rate of the players around you or you will stay average.

6 Likes

Why do you think that you belong over average ?

5 Likes

I don’t think I belong way higher or anything, but to play a game for 15 season or whatever and feel like I’ve improved quite a bit from where I began only to be at he same rank is highly discouraging…

3 Likes

Well maybe these days Bronze is same Gold what you were few seasons ago ?

3 Likes

I’ve been gold my entire time I’ve played except one season I climbed to plat.

I got yelled at tonight as Mercy because I was blue beaming dps, mainly Pharah while we had an Ana healing tanks. Saying, whyd you leave Ana to heal only the tanks? Then Ana threw the 2nd half. Like people don’t even understand how to play and it’s frustrating.

3 Likes

Solo queue or duo queue

2 Likes

Meta shifted in your favor.

I feel like a hamster on a while, no matter how much energy I put out, I still don’t get anywhere.

• Goku (Kid Buu Saga)

————

Improving in Overwatch isn’t a pure function of time played and learning the game, it’s time spent mastering the game.

In competitive Overwatch, you’re being matched against other human beings, all who are trying to climb the ladder as well.

Some of them trying MUCH harder than you.

Valorant is a very fun game if you play for the sake of enjoying playing video games.

Define way higher?

The average Overwatch player is ranked between 1500 and 2999 SR.

As you climb the ladder, the games increase in difficulty because the other players around you are also getting better.

With the largest distribution of players being in the Gold rank, ascending through platinum means -

While you’re still average (below say 2700 SR) you’re climbing over the upper end of average players.

Once you get to 27xx - 28xx, you’re no longer playing against average players. You’re playing against the above average players and vying for a spot in Diamond.

Yeah sure, Diamond is not as impressive as Masters or Grand Master, but it still puts you within the Top 14% of all Overwatch players in your region.

4 Likes

youre not the only one improving my friend.

5 Likes

while it’s true you have to “improve faster than everyone else”, people around you really aren’t improving that fast. they’re practically moving backwards once you start to actually realize how badly we are all playing. :grin:

something that makes it really frustrating to get better at overwatch is that a) its sometimes really hard to feel the impact of whatever you’re doing differently because of how inconsistent matches can be, and b) its easy to work really hard and never climb if that effort isn’t going into things that actually prevent you from climbing. in fact this might even make you worse because any habits that are preventing you from climbing are being reinforced that whole time.

one thing I have noticed over the years is that those things are usually not “work really hard to do this” type things, they’re changes in your thought process and methodology, usually simple ones. think of it like trying to discover something entirely new nobody has thought of before - it’s really :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:ing hard to do, isn’t it? but how easy is it to learn from the person who discovered it, and become the second person to do so. its pretty easy by comparison. that’s kind of what it’s like to finally realize what you fundamentally do wrong and fix it, the hardest part is getting to the realization. :+1:

6 Likes

this has literally been my experience. both the match maker and the ranked mode as a whole is really bad. and theres always people on the forum ready to defend the mode and blame the poster. These weirdos defend the game like its a person.

2 Likes

Is it a coincidence that the people claiming to be hardstruck because of “bad teammates” and “match maker”, play terribly themselves exactly like the rank they are in?

1 Like

I don’t accept your premise. But I’ll flip it back to you. You think its just coincidence that there are a lot of posts making the same complaint about how terrible competitive mode is?

3 Likes

It’s not a premise, I have literally VOD Reviewed multiple Bronze players here on the forums that claim to be hardstruck because of “bad teammates that play like potatoes”, then when I review the OP’s gameplay, what do I see? The same exact issues that they are complaining about they do themselves:

Terrible aim, horrible positioning, wasting abilities and ultimates, no communication or teamwork

Lets be real here, a lot of toxic people, especially low ranked players love to scapegoat and blame others for their own mistakes, they never own up to their own mistakes.

I have literally had a Bronze ana player here on the forums tell me that standing in the choke exposed while shooting shields and losing health is not an issue…

2 Likes

My theory on this is that higher ranked players who no longer care about winning (and who are sick of grinding on the ladder) are dropping, en masse, into lower ranks (Plats to gold and silver, golds to silver, diamonds to plat, etc). This drastically raises the skill floor for those ranks and makes them artificially more difficult than they should be to climb out of.

1 Like

Your Icon looks like Elvis. That is all.

2 Likes

How would they drop without throwing?

1 Like

This is a horrible argument. First off, not everyone who complains, plays “terribly.” Second, your argument presumes that no one who’s objectively better than their rank has ever failed to climb. Third you’re generalizing to a fallacious degree.

2 Likes

“Throwing” is too strong a word for what’s happening. I wouldn’t say not caring about the outcome is throwing, but not caring does often lead to losses.

1 Like

You’re arguing a lack of competitive drive?

Not necessarily saying you’re wrong.

But I will say there is a point where these players legitimately can’t lose games without actively trying to sabotage.

3 Likes