Sick of the 'Play Better' Argument

Hardstuck mid to high gold btw, and I could take my accounts out of bronze and silver. Yeah, healing too if required. As a matter of fact I can probably do it playing tank and dps too. There’s no way you’re diamond and can’t do it.

1 Like

Because it’s mathematically impossible for smurfs to be in every game. There was a youtube video that explained the math behind it but it was something like if the entire GM population was online simultaneously AND on smurf accounts, there’d be a smurf in 1 in 10 games. That situation is obviously never going to happen so you’d have even less of a chance to have smurfs on the enemy team. Sure, you might have a brief unlucky run where it happens a few times in a row but in the long run the entire place is at this same disadvantage so it’s not like your rank would be higher in the long run with zero smurfs.

Each rank is what it is AMIDST smurfs. Plats smurf in gold, golds smurf in silver, etc. If you can’t win against the occasional smurf or climb amidst the losses when you can’t, it’s because you BELONG at that rank. If you’re masters and you queue in the morning you go against actual OWL players who are WAYYY better than masters. Much bigger gap there than a plat in a gold game.

You never answered the questions proposed, only chose to invalidate the argument.

It was on Youtube must be true!

You brought mathematics into this argument. Statistically speaking you are correct it is rare but not impossible.

Again you never answered the questions asked which leads me to believe my accusations are correct. Sorry, anything you say is no longer taken into consideration as you are apparently part of the problem, thank you, drive through.

1 Like

It’s based on official numbers published by Blizzard about the population of the various ranks. It really is impossible for GM smurfs / alts to be in a significant number of Gold / Plat games. There are just so few GMs compared to the number of Gold / Plat players.

Bronze and Gold / Plat are completely different worlds.

If you go low enough in Bronze (I estimate from experience 500-800 SR) the population of people who belong there is so tiny, and the number of throwers that want to be bronze to troll about is so large, that it really is nearly impossible to play a 500-800 SR bronze game without 1-4 smurfs in the game.

Just climbing to about 1000 SR makes the experience dramatically different (which I did this season). I’m currently about 1340 SR, and the number of smurfs I encounter is just getting less and less frequent.

The new replay system actually helps a great deal with identifying smurfs. Now you can go back and watch them play, and that really gives you an idea of what they were doing. Maybe they were wrecking you and your team because of something that you can learn from. Maybe they really were just very very good, and that level 27 account just gives it away that they’re a smurf. I don’t know, but the information available is so nice these days.

The “Play Better” and “Git Gud” and “You are at the rank you should be” arguments are actually 100% stupid, just like those who use them, because the way the matchmaker works is it tries to make “even” matches.

What that means is that you can be a “good player” and be playing great but you will be matched with garbage teammates so as to make the match “even”. Like on a scale of 1-10 you can be an 8 but you will always be matched with 2s because this terribly broken and plain idiotically stupid matchmaker is trying to make games “even”.

I don’t think that’s anything like what the matchmaker does. Have you read the article about it?

There will obviously be subpar players in your games. At the same time, you will also have players that are really good. There is equal chance of having either bots or gods on your team - the only constant is you.

That one match may be a guaranteed loss. On the other hand, you’re just as likely to have a 6v4 game, and even more likely so unless you’re one of the players contributing to the 4v6 scenario.

SR is variable and is a range. Sometimes people will be too high, sometimes people will be too low. The main thing is that they will always go back to where they belong. I’ve seen people get boosted to high SR, and they will always fall back to where they belong if they can’t maintain it. The only exceptions are if they queue with smurfs who continually boost them or don’t play much and camp the rank.

While placements are only 10 games and not accurate, the matchmaking system itself is fine. All my accounts, assuming I play on them like I do on my main, will always reach the same SR as it. I’ve done this multiple times over multiple seasons, and I know multiple people who’ve done the same.

1 Like

Vurg this wasn’t aimed at you it was directed towards Pyah.

Well this isnt true. I have 2 accounts and place higher on one with lower stats. There is definitely something wrong with the matchmaker if you can play worse on one account but still consistently place and stay higher. You’re a fanboy or bootlicker or something.

That’s just unhelpful.

How many games in Season 16 on each account?

62 on the lower account 77 on the higher.

I was in gold from season 2 until season 8 (I didn’t get the game until season 2 had started). Actually, I think I dropped in to silver a few times. In season 9 I decided I’d like to be higher. I bought a new account. Nope, same rank as before. Then I realised I actually needed to improve the way I played. So I watched a bunch of coaching videos etc. and got advice from people ranked higher than myself. Before season 9 ended my original, many seasons old, account was in low diamond.

Being hardstuck is an attribute of the player, not the account they’re playing on.

2 Likes

How far away from your own SR are your team average SRs displayed at the beginning of the match?

On both my gold and my platinum accounts the team average is almost always within 50 SR of my own meaning the range of SR on my team is probably around 100 SR.

I’m assuming you’re not in very low bronze or very high GM so the SR ranges you experience are probably similar. So the ‘garbage’ team mates you’re writing about are realistically only going to be about 100 SR below you. That’s really a very small difference in skill in mid-tiers.

The important aspect of the matchmaker which pokes a huge hole in your argument is that it tries to match you with and against players of as close to the same MMR to you as possible. It doesn’t ONLY try to give both teams as close to 50% chance of winning as possible.

1 Like

Lmaoo I’ve got 4 accounts. My main, which I don’t play much on anymore, but usually hovers around 3.5 now. I have another account that I solo queue and tryhard on in place of my main - 3513. I’ve got another account, where I queue with lower ranked friends - 3441. I’ve also got a fourth account where I play my worst heroes and that easily stays in 3-3.2k.

My 3.4 account has much worse stats than my 3.5 account, but the former has 37 hours and the latter has 16. Regardless, I’m still climbing because I deserve to be around 3.4-3.6.

And you’re delusional trash that needs to stop blaming the system and actually git gud lmaoooo.

Cheers

1 Like

How else do you expect to rank up? Do you truly expect the MMR system to hold your hand as you waltz to GM? No! The MMR knows where you belong, and unless you figure out what exactly you are doing wrong, you will not climb.

Stop blaming external factors and focus on the only factor you have any control over: yourself and your ability to play.

If you want to rank up, you have to not only play well. You have to consistently carry. If you’re in gold, it’s not good enough to perform at a gold level. You have to play at a plat level.

You, your ability to play, and your negative mindset are the only things holding you down.

So, in short, GET GOOD.

1 Like

Most people in low ranks don’t look at killfeed unfortunately, I once started a game with THREE picks as Widowmaker and the team still won’t push. Sure, my pick was not the main tank, but I took out their sniper, Lucio, Torb, which was reason enough to push with our number advantage.

Bronze games routinely have SR disparities of 200-600SR between players.

The game is very lenient down there, when it puts groups together. I’ve seen Bronze games wehre most people are 13-1400, except one or two people are literally 500-700SR. No, not a joke.

Way harder to see this, now, with Private Profiles.

When I was playing down there, I saw a lot of BF/GF duos where one is like 1300-1400SR and the other is like 600, duo queueing. Usually trying to pocket that one person on Mercy, or playing heroes like Mei.

As long as the match maker can work out the averages, it doesn’t seem to care.

that’s what voice is for, even if it doesn’t work all the time. even if you just get them to push every 5th game your winrate improves and you climb faster

people expect either all or nothing, but there is a lot in between and taking just a bit instead of everything is still better than nothing

Yeah… i’m having hard times believing that you’re a diamond player. When i was mid plat i got tilted and dropped down to low gold. However, when i came back the next day i got back to plat within a couple of hours. So, there’s no chance a diamond player can’t get out of bronze/silver.