Should you play overwatch competitive anymore?

I asked google, and when I typed in "Overwatch competitive is: ", these are the predictions I got:

• broken
  • trash
  • bad
  • not fun
  • pointless
  • rigged
  • garbage
  • issues
  • cancer
  • dead

What do you guys think?

2 Likes

That’s what enough people think in order to influence Google’s search-assistance algorithms. I don’t think it’s quite dead yet, since even though the game is in a terrible state, it doesn’t stop people buying new accounts – if only just to troll and smurf, but none of the issues plaguing OW are being fixed either. Fewer and fewer Blue Posts are months go by, developer updates are few and far between, only turning up when “new content” is released, along with zero feedback when it’s poorly received (IE: Latest PVE event). This indicates several things to me:
1.) Blizzard absolutely doesn’t care about the average gamer (the majority of its playerbase) feedback
2.) They’ve highly limited their budget to New Characters and new Maps and that’s it.
3.) Since this mindset hasn’t changed, there is no evidence that it will change

Overwatch is in a stagnant state (IE: not changing, evolving, refreshing, or outreaching) and Google’s algorithm search suggestions are based upon meta data, which are direct relations to how many people feel about the state of the game.

4 Likes

Think you should just do what you want and not worry about everyone else’s opinion.

1 Like

if you have to ask then…

No. Especially if NOT during peak hours which is shrinking by the day.

Many Good players were chased away by poor experiences.
The people who stayed and feel jilted by the experience.
And the idiots who made things as bad as they are now thrive in the chaos.

Without a healthy player count (among other things) your “Competitive” experience will likely be Subpar. And if you’re on console the Matchmaker is basically a Slot Machine.

Blizzard won. They have our money, have have our time, they have the OWL generating income, and trust me when I say this…

They Are Not Concerned With The Views And Opinions Of Random Players On A Forum Airing Out Reasonable Reverences.

3 Likes

You don’t need skill to climb anymore and all the skill is slowly being sucked out of this game, so no. Comp is pointless.

1 Like

A bit of a confirmation bias there. Those results are because people are more likely to come online to complain, it’s the whole reason why these forums are a cesspool of negativity. Why would anyone Google “Comp is fun” when they could just be playing Comp?

Play what you enjoy. If you don’t like Comp, then don’t play it. If you do, then go for it. !@$# what other people think.

3 Likes

Actually, the immaturity constantly displayed on this particular Competitive Discussion forums is the reason that the devs no longer choose to respond to anything here, and why the Overwatch playerbase instead goes to REDDIT of all places (r/Overwatch, r/CompetitiveOverwatch, and r/OverwatchUniversity) because the userbase there is actually far more reasonable there than here.

They did used to participate here, btw. Check the references section of the opening post.

I literally just tried typing “League of legends”, “Rocket League” and “cs go” and they all showed the same thing as you described.
About the question, yes, if you want to. I play it, if you don’t have a problem with everyone being stupid, it’s fun.

yeah everyone is GM now right… The people who say comp is pointless are those who can’t climb and blame it on their teammates and the hero balance.

The easiest thing to do is blame the playerbase. Sure, every game has trolls and jerks… this game somehow managed to create an entire Cult of Personality around being a troll and a jerk, including streamers lol. Is it just FPS / competitive games in general? I don’t really get it.

Take a company like Digital Extremes. Different type of game, yes – But huge player base in Warframe, amazing non-toxic community, great streamers who are chill and are active… even DE’s own devs play the game with the public, and they’re chill AF. Dev streams have programmers on video making jokes and actively fixing lines of code, explaining what they’re doing. Guess you can afford to do things like that, be active and involved with the community, have prize giveaways, praise and partner with streamers who are advertising your game on Twitch, etc… Maybe it’s an Activision issue? For a game that Jeff calls “super cool!”, it’s presentation and involvement with the community is this forced, fake and awkward thing, usually leaving its playerbase wanting — and when MANY players try to call attention to certain hugely negative aspects, these concerns are entirely ignored.

Point is, I don’t think players are inherently toxic jerk-offs. Very very few people go into a game the first time trying to cause disruptions and grief as much as humanly possible.

Actually, yes, it is competitive games in general, but not just FPS games. Everyone wants to claim to be better than everyone else, but that’s just mathematically not possible. And because not everyone can rank up, because it’s not mathematically possible, people start blaming external factors (whether true or not, and a lot of times, they’re too tilted to see that it’s not even true). Just look at all the posts blaming rigged matchmaking, or how they have trolls on their team in every game because otherwise they’d rank up.

Let’s go away from the entire ranking thing for a bit and go to the topic of “good games.” People want good games, yes, but that involves people having to be willing to work with each other, and you can even get 6 players on a team that are all good players and willing to work with each other with no one “trolling”, yet for some reason they’re just simply incompatible.

It needs changes because people still dont care. If Blizzard can add SOMETHING (I honestly dont have solutions) to incentivise actually trying your best then the ranked playlist will improve immensely. And they need to make compositions more consistent because knowing whether you’ve lost or have a chance of winning from the hero select screen is not fun.

1 Like

Those results aren’t very different than typing in any other competitive game. Try Dota 2, League, rocket league, or halo. According to google, they are all cancer, dead, dying, and trash

I’ve never played a game that i WANT to love sooo much, but it seems like the game is trying it’s absolute hardest to make it so it’s NOT FUN in the long run.

Really dumb idea to try and force even matches, no matter how varied the skill is.

I do think Overwatch, especially Competitive is on a somewhat decline. It’s got the same case LoL does but with a lot less success, Devs are still disregarding it’s casual playerbase and shamelessly pandering to the pros in the way Overwatch does, but League is still very successful and growing while Overwatch really isn’t growing much.

At the end of the day Blizzard is a business first and foremost, they make MUCH more money off of OWL so that is going to be their focus than us plebeians shelling out 9.99 for lootboxes.

I also think a lot of issues stem from the lack of new players. New People aren’t really buying the game anymore, I play at about the same time every few days and when I go into comp, I get matched with the same people. That is a rarity in other games but here it’s a common occurrence because there just aren’t very many players, even in a huge SR bracket like mid gold to mid silver.

Another issue is stagnancy. I bought the game Season 1, quit because it got very very stale, came back about a month ago, and aside from a couple changes like Mercy and Symmetra’s reworks, a handful of new maps and skins, and some new heroes, I can barely feel a difference aside from a much smaller playerbase. Overwatch hasn’t evolved or changed much, It doesn’t feel like it’s growing. It’s still poorly balanced, which does have it’s quirks and funny moments, but it’s not a game I’d say has a viable environment for competitive play, at least on a casual stance.

Comp will never be balanced or enjoyable for the casual player, it isn’t meant to be, it isn’t for the casual player. You can’t go to comp looking for a quick play experience. A lot of people still playing comp that aren’t above Diamond are not enjoying the game or competitive experience anymore, so they don’t really care or try that hard to win. If you’ve been Bronze-Plat for 15 seasons and nothing’s changed, the chances you’re still enjoying it are slim to none. I find the lower the SR goes the more people just don’t care, but this is experienced in all SR brackets.

If you want to enjoy the game casually, just don’t play comp. Quick play is a lot more fun and people enjoy it a lot more because they don’t feel pressured by their imaginary bragging rights number. But at the end of the day if you have to ask, the answer for you is probably already No.

1 Like

This attitude here is the main problem with this game, imo. So many players think they have it all figured out and are so afraid to lose or be wrong that they quit or start trolling before the fight even starts if things dont go exactly their way. No wonder more and more players disable all communication when playing.

Hyperbole much? Blizzard addresses our concerns and makes changes which they see merited constantly, just not instantly. (More on that below).

They are releasing maps and new heroes at a similar pace they have had throughout OW’s three year history. Moreover, you don’t have access to their detailed budgetary information, so at best, your sources are wild conspiratorial speculations on the internets based off of very generalized corporate financial reports.

Whose mindset, yours? Blizzard’s mindset has changed on multiple occasions over the development of the game. In the beginning the ladder was envisioned for 6-stacks only. After the players in beta raised their concerns, it was changed. Upon release there was no hero limit, after the players rallied against it, it was changed. I could go on, but the list of changes inacted big and small is very long. Just in the last patch a 2-stack limit was introduced in GM bracket over player concers about OWL porofessional players farming non-pros. More big changes are hinted to be released very soon; changes that were lobbied for by the player base.

Overwatch is three years old, not counting the prolonged beta; new heroes and maps are being released at a constant pace. It is a highly successful esport: stage 2 final was just broadcast on a national network on a Sunday afternoon. This means that to keep the game watchable and competitive, Blizzard needs to be careful and deliberate with their changes, lest they throw the whole thing out of wack. Just because some people are getting burned out from playing it does not mean that the game is dying or stagnant, it is simply no longer new and shiny.

Never play this game as a comp. it lost its edge quite some time ago. Just play as casual bro. I do. A lot less stressful. Too bad for the haters XD

1 Like