Should we assume cheats are 'A-OK' since blizzard has done nothing to stop them in game?

I’m thinking because they haven’t done anything but useless ‘account bans’ - and have rarely stopped or detected cheats in the game that they have given their OK to use them?

4 Likes

They do a LOT of work on anti-cheat.

Cheaters also do a LOT of work on bypassing that work.

It’s an endless struggle.

The cheat makers make millions in revenue, so they work very hard in trying to break things.

2 Likes

I’ve seen ZERO impact of their “lots of work” stopping cheating. All I ever see is occasional bans - that also have zero impact. Even when they do detect a cheat, they do it in a poor technical way - so the cheat is back up and running just a few days later.

I guess the just don’t care about the quality of fun in the game at all. Otherwise, they would be dead serious about stopping cheating (like other game developers are).

2 Likes

I have seen CRAZY amount of impact from the ‘lots of work’ since I have seen what happens to games with small amounts of work.

1 Like

You can’t compare other ‘small amounts of work’ games to Overwatch. That is just comparing “doing nothing” with “doing anything”.

I just played another match with smurfs/cheaters (one claimed they were a top 100 widow in chat chat). Just head shots and steam rolling first match, 2nd match the let us push to the end so they could then have another match of head shots.

It was horrible to play and there was nothing that could be done. Reports filed, but we all know how reports actions are so slow OW2 will be out before any action. We can’t leave the game (get penalized), so we get to play a VERY long irritating one-sided match that takes FOR EVER.

It’s unbelievable how many people cheat (and pay for cheats). I’ll never understand the demand. You cheat/smurf, you are a loser already - even when you win? Makes zero sense.

Also makes ZERO sense to allow it in ones game as it will absolutely hurt sales…O_o

1 Like

I totally can, because I am comparing Doing a LOT to only doing something.

Yep, smurfs are a serious problem, but there is a VERY big difference between how they handle cheating software (they stomp on it hard) vs smurfs (which they may as well hang a sign up saying welcome in).

The cheats they ABSOLUTELY pour a lot of money / time into solving. The smurfing problem, not so much.

Which is why they keep on top of the cheats, but not the smurf accounts.

1 Like

That statement couldn’t be more false…

Another match completed, two cheaters in this one. So down and down the SR goes so I end up with team mates who are even more clueless and run into even more smurfs/cheaters starting up their accounts…

Worst support of a game I’ve ever seen… not even cheating in WOW was this bad.

1 Like

So post the vods, Cheats are pretty rare, but really good smurfs are not. Not saying I haven’t SEEN cheaters, but they exceedingly rare.

1 Like

So post the vods, Cheats are pretty rare, but really good smurfs are not. Not saying I haven’t SEEN cheaters, but they exceedingly rare[quote=“RobotWizard-116887, post:8, topic:603885”]
Cheats are pretty rare
[/quote]

I guess you don’t read the news or other streams about cheats or cheaters eh? The game is smack full of cheaters and cheat software. What you think is a smurf is a cheater and who you think is good at playing - is most likely cheating. THAT is how bad it is.

Go do your research before making false statements… shesh. Your just proving that you are a ‘cheat supporter/maker’ trying to decrease the discussions about cheats . It is what they do - frequently.

3 Likes

No I am just a person who has worked for a long time on games in the past.
Seriously, cheating software is pretty different from smurfing, and if you think the game is flooded with it, I just don’t believe you.

Now, flooded with smurfs? Then fine, that we are totally on the same page with.

1 Like

Proper cheaters (i.e. not smurfs) are definitely an issue. Not common, but not ultra rare. But in my experience they do get caught within a few lobbies full of reports, replay submissions, and a human audit (probably after some algorithmic filtering - if that is what their process is).

As an asside, they use several rigging patents - some of which offer aim-assist and hitbox scaling to help kids pop off. I think a lot of suspected cheaters are actually people undergoing some DDA (dynamic difficulty adjustment). ATVI has this in CoD, and it’s likely in OW to some degree, because the company stands behind rigging for psychology, retention, and engagement i.e. revenue.

Some anti-cheat efforts are being taken though i’d understand if they wouldn’t want to disclose everything.

It’s unfair to say they’re allowing it because it seems like they’re doing nothing, though there are just too many cheaters to handle.
This most likely means they’d have to increase CS agents aside from anti-cheat measures.

I don’t see how it’s fair to say they don’t care or aren’t doing anything about it since you have 0 information from them nor have you stood in the shoes of a cheater.

Looking from the cheaters side, a HWID ban is actually being used.
EDIT: nvm, at least something similar to a HWID ban but sadly enough easily bypassable.
Seems that there are tons of different experiences so it’s hard to pinpoint what exactly is true.

1 Like

And when they do, they ban people that has no cheats xD

1 Like

This is also a huge issue. Have read many posts of people being flagged for something running in the background that has nothing to do with the game. Yet good old walrus detects something it doesn’t like and boom player is banned.

No this guy is serious robot. There is a surge in 3rd party scripting in diamond +. I only watch a few hours of t500 streamers a week but have seen a handful of cheaters every week. I can post a replay code of a game kephrii was in just yesterday if my word isn’t enough.

My point being these diamond + cheaters likely aren’t only limited to that region and at a minimum are using cheats in their placement games effecting 2300-3000 range. Usually flying under the radar with people not knowing how to identify hacks/scripts at that level or assuming it is a smurf

1 Like

Cheating and smurfs are an ABSOLUTE problem. I played OW on my main account, I’m in EXTREMELY low bronze due to both of these issues. Placements on my new OW account…
I’m gold or silver. I constantly and consistently get tanked by both. The game is to the point that both me and my husband are about DONE with it. The games are never enjoyable, they’re rage inducing. It’s not like we’re having a battle for the point and then we lose. It’s being sabotaged OR being absolutely SMASHED by the opposing team, or having people who throw or smurf.

Why should my rank get tanked for no good reason?

3 Likes

Ah hell. I guess we have to wait for Blizzard to identify which cheat has gone global again, and stomp it.

My point is that cheats do happen and Blizzard a pretty good at stopping them. Where OP assumes that they don’t actually care. They care, and will put resources towards working out how it works, and banning the accounts associated with it. Again.

Smurfs are why most of my games are scrimms. No smurfing with scrimming.

2 Likes

I wonder how much you have to get paid to live in water-deprived SoCal, how busy your difficult life must be, how comfortable your job performance, how schedule crunched your hard 1st world life is…

To literally never ever ever in the last 3+ years be bothered to come and post IN ORANGE TEXT that you know cheating is a problem and are actively working on a fix.

Like pls? Indie companies with 5 dudes are doing better.

Yeah let’s circumvent the main game mode to avoid a problem enabled by the main game mode designers. Next step just open source the whole engine so we can properly direct the game.

1 Like

You know I think that Smurfs are a huge problem, and that play style finger printing should have been added a long time ago to stop that problem.

But yes, I scrim because smurfing is a problem.

4 Likes