Should projectile heroes do more damage?

I don’t think this will either as Junkrat is probably the only that can chain a knock up into another bomb :thinking:

I think the biggest issue with many projectile heroes is that without solid shields tanks you are either gonna get outranged or hooked. The current shieldless strat heavily favours quick peaks and staying out of range of Zarya/Hog (which is also why Tracer is so good cos she can just blink to the back line).

That’s just my opinion though :man_shrugging:t2:

Exactly, we balance on how they act when played.

McCree doesn’t do very well, so, obviously isn’t stronger than the projectile heroes.

Projectile would actually be a little stronger if people actually had acceleration on the ground. As it is right now AD spam might as well be a dodge mechanic. However, it makes hitscan tracking even easier as well. Though with the lack of acceleration on AD spam hitscan is just universally better. Even more so with all of the flight in the game from units like hammond, dva, winston, pharah, tracer, genji, etc. Hitscan generally makes most mobility options obsolete.

1 Like

Favor the shooter doesn’t work with projectiles. It is a hitscan ONLY mechanic.

It is why, if I connect to EU, or US, I don’t run projectile heroes.

The server gets enough time to place projectiles before they hit, so it is that path they use.

1 Like

No movement acceleration feels arcadey and responsive which makes sense for the cartoony style of the game but enables AD crouch spam (even the best widows in world couldn’t deal with it). Kinda makes it bad for hitscan and ranged projectiles. Characters with more forgiving/spready weapons like Tracer/Sombra/Genji/Moira/etc thrive on it though =\

Against a great Hanzo you’ve basically got a 1/3 chance of being killed each arrow. He can either predict you move left, right or middle :man_shrugging:t2: (Assuming you’re aware of him that is).

I kinda prefer the movement in BF4/1 and that guns shoot projectiles rather than hitscan =\

1 Like

This is an incredibly simplistic take on how FPS guns work. Suffice to say - without getting too detailed about it - it is a combination of time, difficulty, and weapon/gun. Overwatch throws in another factor with regards to roles.

Unfortunately, many players don’t quite understand Symmetra’s role as a builder and are unable to comphrehend why Symmetra’s orbs are built the way they are and what Blizzard intends with them. So this is not a good frame of reference or argument to be made.

It is important to keep in mind that McCree also works with a smaller ammo supply and tiny hitbox for a hitscan weapon (aproximately the same size as Genji’s or Hanzo’s projectiles).

Ana can be disregarded as she carries both projectile and hitscan functions on her weapon, and both are simulated with damage over time or heal over time effect, by intention.

Favor the shooter does work with projectiles.

They can do more damage, with Mercy and Zen.

It doesn’t, and it should be obvious WHY it doesn’t.

Favor the shooter is a form of lag compensation.

The moment the server knows WHERE the projectile is, then it uses that as its path.

It doesn’t have the projectile curve around corners.

Go connect to a server long distance away, say from NZ to USA, or NZ to EU, and you will learn ALL about how Overwatch works in situations where there is a lot of lag, because it becomes SUPER obvious which systems are favor the shooter or not, given you have a 200ms ping time.

1 Like

What does Blizzard intends with slow moving not so mutch dmg easy to avoid predictable Sym orbs?

And isin’t Sym the mage and Torb the builder?

Nope. 20 Charc…

No hitscan needs to do less. Or be glass canons. There is already too much damage flying around.

1 Like

:thinking:

All projectile heroes deal tons of damage. Even Mercy lol
The hero who can spam 1000 damage into choke, is a projectile hero lol

You missed the point of shooter favor. It works for both.

Projectile heroes are based around having high damage that’s inconsistent. Unfortunately hitscans are the best of basically all worlds because they both have consistent damage, the longest effective ranges, and can make up the difference with headshots. There’s a reason why double hitscan is run, its because there’s practically no downsides to it when tanks are so trash right now. If Blizzard isn’t going to buff shields again then the only reasonable course of action is to nerf hitscans to the point where they don’t completely overshadow the rest of the roster.

1 Like

ironic how you’re trying to call out other on lack of comprehension while simultaneously incorrectly claiming mccree’s legit pinpoint weapon fire is about as large as genji or hanzo projectile hitboxes (things that actually have a hitbox volume rather than being pinpoint).

not to mention going “oh you just don’t know the all so mysterious intention the devs have” while simultaneously giving absolutely 0 definition of what it is or may be doesn’t help your case.

a weapon fire that damages either is intended to zone (like junkrat’s) or is meant to actually damage the enemy like many aimed/targeted weapon fires. there’s no mysterious 3rd reasonable way/intention for a damaging weapon fire.

going “oh but she’s a builder” implying that sym herself is supposed to do minimal while all her structures do everything for her is just contradictory to how she’s been being balanced and the mechanics around her structures too. i.e.

• turrets legit rn are in their weakest state because of all the nerfs
  • only her turrets have any significant autonomy and everything else she has requires active action from the players themselves to utilise for whatever purpose or play
  • the turrets have so much counterplay that if you’re actually playing sym well, you wouldn’t be relying on turrets much for damage and rely much more on her weapon itself

Of which brings us back to the point about the intention behind her weapon fires i.e. if it’s not meant for zoning, then it’s meant to be targeted to damage. except right now, orbs aren’t balanced for either.

1 Like

It really doesn’t.

Once the server KNOWS where the projectile is, that is where the projectile is, If the enemy intersects it, then the enemy intersects it.

It is not when YOU think the enemy intersected it. It is the server. Unlike favor the shooter.

If it did, you would see projectiles around corners to kill targets, after all. If you being 200 milli behind, and see it hit the target, if it WAS favor the shooter, then, it was favor your view, and force a hit.

But that isn’t what happens with projectile.

Favor the shooter means the server FAVORS the view that the shooter had, rather than the actual state on the server, to determine if it hits.

Projectile it doesn’t do that, THEREFORE projectile isn’t favor the shooter.

1 Like

You contradict yourself lol

Hanzo arrow missing and then teleporting into head, this is straight result of shooter favor lol

WHERE. show me where I contraditict myself.

That is the big hitbox with bad tick rates.
It is NOT favor the shooter.

You should watch their “how the server works” talk where they go over EXACTLY how the system works.

1 Like

Shooter favor is not something unique to overwatch lol
it exists for decades already.

Yes, and USUALLY favor the shooter doesn’t apply to projectiles in other games either.

It is not unique to overwatch, and the problems with applying it to projectiles isn’t unique either.